Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2007, 11:42 am

I thought Herzog's "Grizzly Man" was superb. Highly disturbing, yet poignant.

--Edgar Allan Poe

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 11:44 am

I didn't see 'Grizzly Man' but read about it. The chap was obssessed with communicating with grizzly bears, and convinced he could. But ended up being a meal for one, didn't he??

Hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2007, 11:56 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
The chap was obssessed with communicating with grizzly bears, and convinced he could. But ended up being a meal for one, didn't he??

Yes. poor guy...Many think him a loon, but watch that film and you'll see this man was an Aspie through and through. He did wonderful work -- invaluable work -- for the good of the grizzly, and most did accept him into their world, but due to a tragic turn of circumstance, there was one bear, a bear he wasn't as familiar with as his regular subjects/friends, who caused his tragic end.

Herzog's strangely detached narrative made it that much more chilling, yet he also presented the man and his work in a respectful, almost affectionate way. Hard to describe. See the film, when you get a chance.

I watched "Grizzly Man" five times, twice in the same night. It still haunts me.

--Edgar Allan Poe

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 12:03 pm

He's a great, but largely unknown, director. I have Aguirre in my video library, and it is still fascinating to watch. Absurd, but almost poetic. Allegorical, but never heavy handed.
I'll have to search out Grizzly Man. He also had another documentary out recently, "White Diamond", I believe?

Hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2007, 12:19 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
He also had another documentary out recently, "White Diamond", I believe?

Not familiar with "White Diamonds." Have you seen "Klaus Kinski, My Best Friend"? I laughed my buttocks off. :lol:

--Edgar Allan Poe

Mescalero
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2007, 12:29 pm

I'll look out for Grizzly Bear, sounds fascinating.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 10:49 am

I was reminded of this one by the Sci-Fi channel posting their best list:

"The Thing" by John Carpenter, 1982, starring Kurt Russell. Special effects by Rob Bottin. Not really a remake of the 1951 film. Very difficult to describe overall, it's very close to a nightmare caught on film. The thing shows up at an antarctic base, and all hell breaks loose. For brave souls only, the imagery is designed to scare you silly. Possibly one of the most imaginative Sci-Fi movies ever made.

If you want to see something you'll never forget, rent it.

methinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2007, 7:03 pm

Do you know "Burden of Dreams",about Herzog's efforts to film "Fitzcarraldo"?It's a fascinating look at the man in the process of work.And I agree,"Grizzly Man" is haunting,worth seeing once or twice.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 2:46 pm

methinks wrote:
Do you know "Burden of Dreams",about Herzog's efforts to film "Fitzcarraldo"?It's a fascinating look at the man in the process of work.And I agree,"Grizzly Man" is haunting,worth seeing once or twice.

I've heard of "Burden", and need to add it to my list of rentals. I've heard of what he did to film "Fitzcarraldo", and it's frightening.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 3:39 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I was reminded of this one by the Sci-Fi channel posting their best list:

"The Thing" by John Carpenter, 1982, starring Kurt Russell. Special effects by Rob Bottin. Not really a remake of the 1951 film. Very difficult to describe overall, it's very close to a nightmare caught on film. The thing shows up at an antarctic base, and all hell breaks loose. For brave souls only, the imagery is designed to scare you silly. Possibly one of the most imaginative Sci-Fi movies ever made.

If you want to see something you'll never forget, rent it.

The 1951 "The Thing From Another Planet" was based (loosely) on John Campbell's classic short "Who Goes There?" (He published under the pseudonym "Don A. Stuart".) Carpenter's version, while still flawed, was (IMHO) far superior, as well as considerably more faithful to the source material.