Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 5:49 pm

Both my cousin and I are Autistic and I've noticed that we both really love looking at photos. For him, it is photos of trains and airplanes, and for me, it tends to be old photographs of my family, dogs, cats, old and abandoned buildings, and celebrities I like. I constantly am on Flickr looking at stuff on my phone. Am I the only one or is this a common thing for those on the spectrum?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 6:47 pm

I don't see you looking at Flickr as being particularly autistic.

I actually see this sort of "behavior" as being more "neurotypical" than "autistic."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 4:47 am

Why would looking at photos be an autistic trait? :?

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 10:58 am

I have poor reading comprehension so i dislike reading and cant understand books, what i do enjoy is looking at picture books and other photos. This is more of a sign of high visual and spatial processing than autism.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 2:35 pm

I'm sorry guys. I'm not very good at knowing what is Autistic and what isn't. I'm still learning :)

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 2:46 pm

If you're talking about obsessively viewing photographs of a very narrow field of interest, then this could be considered autistic.

I do this.

I collect thousands of photos of the same subject and view them daily, like a ritual.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 2:51 pm

Raleigh wrote:
If you're talking about obsessively viewing photographs of a very narrow field of interest, then this could be considered autistic.

I do this.

I collect thousands of photos of the same subject and view them daily, like a ritual.

Well put.

If its just "love looking at photographs" then its hardly an autistic trait. Magazines cater to the photojournalism consuming public. But if you have a narrow obsessive preference for how you look at photographs (like repeatidly only look at a few photos of fire hydrants, and only of fire hydrants) then it could be a symptom of autism.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 2:53 pm

Raleigh wrote:

I do this.

That is exactly what I do. I view a certain slideshow I made on my phone of old buildings before I go to bed at night and cannot sleep if I don't do it. If I get sad or have a meltdown, I view it too and it helps :)

Once again, I apologize. I am very bad at expressing my thoughts :oops:

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 2:57 pm

Yes! It's the same for me.

When I'm depressed I turn to my photos for comfort.
It's almost like a visual stim.

No need to apologise.
You're working things out in your own way.
I'm sure no one here knows what I'm talking about half the time because I forget that other people can't see my thoughts. :D

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2016, 3:41 pm

Could be a special interest. I collect super hi resolution images. I spend hour upon hour,days,weeks,collecting,researching,finding the highest res,I then spend hours just looking at the detail in the images such as individual follicles and pot marks and eye lashes and shapes in the eyes etc. I get a really pleasurable feeling from analysing hi res details in photos. I can't do this with photos that have no detail or low res. The world seems to go away and time disappears. If your just looking at photos casually then it's normal if it is kind of obsessive,gets in the way of normal living then it may be a special interest.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 5:17 pm

TheAvenger161173 wrote:
Could be a special interest. I collect super hi resolution images. I spend hour upon hour,days,weeks,collecting,researching,finding the highest res,I then spend hours just looking at the detail in the images such as individual follicles and pot marks and eye lashes and shapes in the eyes etc. I get a really pleasurable feeling from analysing hi res details in photos. I can't do this with photos that have no detail or low res. The world seems to go away and time disappears. If your just looking at photos casually then it's normal if it is kind of obsessive,gets in the way of normal living then it may be a special interest.

For me, I think it is a special interest, I definitely do it obsessively. It does give me a feeling of pleasure and calmness.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 6:26 pm

I love to look at picture books like coffee table books and magazines with photos of gardens, decorated rooms, houses and art books, I love looking at all kinds of art from graffiti to classical. I have colorful pictures of places and animals all over my walls to look at.
At Christmas time I googel "Christmas houses" and hundreds of pictures of decorated houses pop up to look at. I go to art museums when I get the chance and go to open studio art shows and I walk along railroad tracks to look at the graffiti.
I'm kind of crazy like that. I crave interesting things to look at.

foca
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jun 2016, 7:35 am

Looking at photos in general wouldn't be an autistic trait, maybe looking at photos on one specific thing could be. Personally i could spend hours on end looking at photos of classic muscle cars.

RAADS-R (Average score for males with asd=148.7)
Total=170 - Language=17 - Social relatedness=65 - Sensory/motor=52 - Circumscribed interests=36