The BRAG about your Aspie thread!

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 3:07 pm

My son, now 11, is an inventor. Being a child, his focus is mostly on games, and over the years he has learned how to beta test, how to adjust, how to find out what other kids (including NT kids) might enjoy playing, etc., and has adapted accordingly. As a result, by a few months into his fifth grade year, he literally had a set of groupies: younger school kids following him around eager to discover what his latest game idea was, and hopeful of getting to beta test it. He told me one child (NT) actually asked him for an autograph, lol, since he figured my son was SO brilliant that he "must" be famous.

Whether or not he takes it anywhere in real life (many of the people at school would be shocked if he doesn't), it's been a great confidence builder and an amazing tool for attaining status at school despite being quirky in so many ways. My son has a really positive and healthy self-image.

His magic act at the school talent show last spring was a huge success. Apparently his tricks were perfect and his banter funny and well timed.

He's received his GATE (gifted and talented education) qualification so that he will be able to take more advanced classes in middle school (this will be his choice, since the workload also goes up - there is a give and take that he'll have to balance), and he was chosen to receive the challenge to become an Eagle Scout shortly after he bridged from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts.

He's also discovered that he likes cooking. It's been really fun having him help me in the kitchen. AND he actually has decided to keep his room clean. NO prodding. Just decided he prefers it all organized.

He did a reading at my father's memorial service last winter. He wanted to do one, and practiced carefully. Once the service started, he couldn't stop crying, so I got ready to step in for him. But he wanted to do it, he sucked it all in, and he read beautifully, which really moved so many of the mourners.

The last few years we've really seen him start to come into his own: being able to have his gifts shine, without being held too far back by his burdens. Some things will always be a struggle for him, we all know that, but the trick is to keep that from blocking out the gifts. I'm getting really comfortable that he can find that balance, that he'll succeed with the things he wants to succeed with. He makes me very, VERY proud.

consmom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2008, 9:49 pm

My son is 9 and he is my hero! I don’t know anyone that has worked as hard as he has and he is so good about it. My son has always been slow at everything and I have always fought to get him to the next grade level. He can learn anything it just seems to take him more time. He is the hardest worker, he will do anything I ask of him. We live in Texas kids have to pass the TAKS Test to go on to the next grade. This was his first year to take it (3rd) and I worked so hard on all the practice books with him, he passed reading and only missed 2 in math. I’m very proud of him!

He also got his yellow belt in his karate class, and is best the pokemon video game player I know. He is a great kid, I love him so much!

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 11:45 pm

My almost five year old just put together a 750 lego puzzle and a lot of lego trains. He also put together this
"marble mania extreme" with over 330 little pieces that I think is so hard to put together. He figured out why my stud finder kept beeping when there was no stud (I was pressing to hard on the handle). He just knew.

I don't get it at all.

His memory is SO good.

Emen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2008, 3:24 am

Almost a man now, my son is my hero. Among his gifts are a great capacity for happiness, a wonderful sense of humour, seeing the best in everyone, and a generous heart.
This is part of a poem I wrote when he was going through a particularly difficult time.

The school calls:
About your attitude (slack)
Your motivation (lacking)
And your being "away with the fairies".

But you do try, you assure me,
The puzzlement on your face cleaving my heart.

I know, my son, and you are my hero.
Going out each day into a baffling world,
Your good heart open to all the slights
Wrought by mutual misunderstanding.
Returning, bruised but optimistic,
Your spirit untainted by grudges.
We marvel at your courage,
Your perfection,
In an imperfect world.

amywithlemon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2008, 12:21 am

the best thread ever!

i've been so encouraged reading all this. i'm sitting here filling out a gabillion forms for my son's testing right now, and honestly- i'm really just overwhelmed (?)- but not in a bad way. i'm excited, but only in that i continue to see his strengths more and more, and yes, many of his 'quirks' are his strengths. (and heck-we now know he's not deaf, so hey- i take my good news where i can!)

today was his 2nd day of kindergarten. his teacher said that he was the only student to answer her exactly as she had said on day one (word for word), when she asked the class what her rule for 'crayons' was:

"Our crayons are our responsibility."

:-)

he's the coolest kid i know.

mom2bax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Aug 2008, 1:08 am

my son is so good with numers, he's not quite 5and we're dong multiplication no problem and division.
he also reads very well at his assessment last year he was reding at an 8 year old level, but she did leave the number blocks in front of him as he was being tested so he was distracted.

he is so snuggly and tells me he loves me all the time.

he is very thoughtful and shares well.

h is patient with his sister and rarely hits her back when she hits him.

he is so funny

he is so loving.

poohter
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Aug 2008, 2:47 am

I am a 15 year old aspie, and reading this thread knocks me out with emotion. My mother died back in 2004, and reading this thread reminds me of the kind of things she would say about me. I feel both warm and fuzzy and extremely depressed at the same time, but I'm glad this thread is here, it has helped me reconnect with the things i feel inside. :)

ster
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 7:08 am

somehow, i thought i'd already posted on this thread.... :oops:

which aspie to brag about first????

hubby is an aspie & only found out 3 years ago. it's been tough for him to come to this realization, and yet, he has come such a long way from where he was ! he has his own business which requires him to come in contact with people on a daily basis (YIKES!). he's really been quite successful!

son, age 16, is an aspie & also only found out 3 years ago . son, too, has come a long way. prior to dx, he was a scared,anxiety-ridden teen. his grades were failing & he was emotionally failing as well. he was hospitalized several times........fast forward to today & you'd hardly recognize him ! he is a happy, positive teen. he helps out around the house & even takes care of his little sister (age9).

daughter, age 9, is a suspected aspie but currently has an ADHD dx.......she is quite a boisterous, talkative girl. her bubbly laughter is quite infectious !

leechbabe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2008, 4:43 pm

My 3.5yo Aspie said "I love you Mummy" last night at bedtime without any prompting.
:D

soulsister63
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2008, 7:49 pm

My son is 8 & never a day goes by without him telling me he loves me , even if hes shouted that he hates me ealier when he's had a meltdown. He is very affectionate & still likes to sit on my knee for a hug. Just before falling asleep at night he says I love you mum no matter what the time is .
It took him a while but after a lot of perseverance he managed to ride a bike without stabilizers when he was 6, hes awsome at reading & comes out with the most fantastic questions on anything from religion to how things work.

when his dad was ill in hospital recently & we went to visit my sister sat with my son after she said she'd had the most interesting conversations & the most fun for a long time. She found his view of the world fabulous.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 7:58 pm

Well D (5yrs) is not aspie (he is HFA) BUT yesterday at school he was PLAYING WITH 3 OTHER CHILDREN!! !! !! !! !! ! :D :D :D
Sorry bout the caps but surely they are acceptable with a brag like that :lol:

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Aug 2008, 2:21 am

Allaura(10) took the initiative on the first day of school to ask her teacher to track down the phone # of a boy in her class last year who went to middle school this year(he was her teacher last year as well- combo 4/5 class). Tonight, she called him, and he told her that it was Back To School Night at his school and she invited him to come over for dinner while his folks went(after asking us if it was alright). I think this boy might be on the spectrum too, just from the little interaction I had with him, and from what I observed. LOL!

This, from a girl who had not even uttered the name of any of her friends from school all summer long, had never called a friend, had never shown any interest in asking someone to come over before, even if we asked if she wanted to. It was amazing!

Oh, and her teacher was shocked when she actually came to him that first day too. LOL!

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 11:27 pm

Wow, this is definitely the best thread ever!

Both of my sons absolutely astound me with their bravery and perseverance. They just never give up. And many things haven't come easy for them, especially at school, but they keep at it...determined, optimistic and very strong. They are reading way above grade level, and have been since they were quite small, and they are both incredible artists, each with his own unique style.

E, blows me away with his perceptiveness. His frank appraisals of different situations have had me laughing or blushing or both. He reads aloud with such confidence and expression. He cares deeply about all animals, remembers everything and has a beautiful sense of fairness.

L, is such a funny, little guy...boundless energy, bubbling laughter. He loves to cuddle and snuggle and tickle. He is a skilled Lego builder. When he makes up his mind that he wants to accomplish something, he is an unstoppable force.

Both of my sons are so genuine, and good-hearted. I am so glad to be their mom. I am so proud of them both.

Drakilor
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Aug 2008, 8:18 am

Immature.

Last edited by Drakilor on 26 Aug 2008, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wholesome
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Aug 2008, 5:03 pm

I do love this thread. We do focus on their struggles and it is so inspiring to celebrate their victories, no matter how small the world considers them.

My 11 yr. son has many talents. He is excellent at archery, fishing, geography, history and drawing. He understands all of the science behind the weather and has an amazing memory. Aside from this, my proudest moment occurred recently. We were at the beach and I was struggling behind him in the deep sand carrying my two yr old, 2 big bags and a huge blanket. We had a lot of delays and what should have been a 2 hr trip was a 7 hr one. He was very anxious to get to the water and had already made 2 trips carrying chairs, floaties, ect..He turned around and saw me and ran up to me and offered to lighten my load. My tears welled up with pride. He's always been so self-focused and that was a giant step. He's growing up at his own pace.

gisgoddess
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Aug 2008, 5:41 pm

My HFA son is an avid and gifted reader and could spend all day immersed in books. He's just entering third grade and can read books far above his reading level.

He is obsessed by snails and can tell you about all of their attributes and physical characteristics and can also make up some very entertaining stories with snails as the main characters.

He is sweet and loving and cares a great deal about animals and his immediate family.

He has the most amazing imagination of any child I've every known.

He also has the most infectious laugh I've ever heard.

He brightens my life. :)