Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 1:15 pm

I used to worry about this a lot. Then, about the time my first wife moved out, I made the conscious decision that I would no longer care what people thought about me. After all, pleasing them socially had never gotten me anything but the occasional migraine, so I figured it was about time I took care of myself for a change. Now, I talk to myself in public and don't care who sees. The only side effect I've noticed, besides being able to keep my thoughts in better order, is that a lot of people leave me alone - which is exactly what I wanted in the first place, so it's a win/win! :)

Now I do what I need to, and frak the judgments of others.

Davidufo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2007, 3:07 am

DeaconBlues wrote:
I used to worry about this a lot. Then, about the time my first wife moved out, I made the conscious decision that I would no longer care what people thought about me. After all, pleasing them socially had never gotten me anything but the occasional migraine, so I figured it was about time I took care of myself for a change. Now, I talk to myself in public and don't care who sees. The only side effect I've noticed, besides being able to keep my thoughts in better order, is that a lot of people leave me alone - which is exactly what I wanted in the first place, so it's a win/win! :)

Now I do what I need to, and frak the judgments of others.

this sounds like a good philosophy, i may just do the same
(after all, if people think your weird or they don't like you.. well, would you want them around you anyway)

(..i bought some new shades over the weekend, and i will wear them a lot more outside)

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2007, 3:27 am

Davidufo wrote:
i don't like going to the bank or the post office ... i don't like having to wait in line or fiddle with machines in those places

Dislike standing in line & having to cope (mentally & physically) with people/strangers. Dislike the inscrutability & counterintuitive operation of mechanisms.
For example, at grocery store: dread/avoid the DIY checkout lines ONLY because the machines screw up, get stuck, and are painfully loud-so I prefer to deal with the longer line & human clerk.

Yes, I avoid "social-heavy errands"-though I avoid "non-social" ones, too.
Graelwyn wrote:
I am afraid that regardless of the fact they are 'only doing their job', I either blank them or tell them sharply that no, I don't need any help. I am usually in my own world when I am out and about and hate being shocked out of it by some human voice.

Entire time I'm out in public (not sitting at home), I'm "on alert", fear mode-can barely notice many things (incl. people) because there's too much for me to take in & sort through-and I'm focussed on those things instead. Being in stores or on the street makes me feel exposed & vulnerable, emotionally-can't hide my "me-ness" sufficiently. Home is my only safe place...

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2007, 8:20 am

I don't mind going out and shopping and running errands, but I hate crowds. I like going into places like Wal-Mart early in the morning, when there are still very few people around.

Sometimes I'll go on a big shopping trip on Saturday mornings with my mom. (She has a car. I don't.) And sometimes coming out of Wal-Mart or Superstore, if it was crowded, she'll comment on how there was a lot of people in the store. To which I invariably reply, with a growl, "Yes... and I hate them all." :)