How would you define sensory torture?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 7:27 am

I think this is qualifying as torture by society at this pint, or at least I can argue logically that it is, but who cares of logic when one's whole world is shaking? The tractors and diggers have returned... I held back last time (less than a year ago) but I really can't this time or the 100 other times they plan to shake everything up in at least my life time if we extend the sample size... the least and only thing I can do is to throw open bottles of water, I really don't know how I can possibly live anymore like this (I had already moved here to get away from the previous noisy environment).

I can't stand this anymore... first balls, then earthquakes, I'm so, so tired...

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 7:32 am

Like going to a chicken wing place with noisy people and stubborn family members that guilt trip you for being a vegetarian ...

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 11:31 am

Nails on a chalkboard.

christophelambypie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jun 2016, 7:03 pm

Having to pretend that your interested in what people are saying, when really and truly you just want them to shut up because their subject matter is of absolutely no interest to you......

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 9:01 pm

Being in an open environment workplace where headphones are not permitted.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 9:22 pm

beakybird wrote:

Ohh that's torture!! ! :cry: I REALLY hate that.

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jun 2016, 9:30 pm

How would you define sensory torture?

Torture inflicted on the senses.

But all torture could possibly be defined as sensory (even psychological torture).

Torture is normally defined as inflicting pain/discomfort on someone in order to achieve a desired outcome.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 9:56 pm

Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
beakybird wrote:

Ohh that's torture!! ! :cry: I REALLY hate that.

Even WITH headphones I hate it. Why is it cubicles are being phased out again? I hate having headphones on all day long, but who can work with banter and giggles?

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 10:15 pm

Constant loud noises or sudden loud noises.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 8:16 pm

For me the biggie is auditory things, like has already been mentioned here. People with loud voices, especially shrill ones, whooping and screeching, sudden harsh laughter, I just can't think when I'm exposed to that. And I'd rather risk burning to death than have a smoke alarm, they always go off whether there's a fire or not. Somehow it's preferable to those voices. I guess when a smoke alarm goes off, at least everybody agrees it's a problem and they'll try to stop it. But with voices, nobody else seems to think it could possibly hurt, and I'm in no fit state to be diplomatic about it, and even if I was, it seems too risky to ask them to stop, they seem to love it so. Once I got my diagnosis handed in at work I used to leave the room as soon as it got too much for me. Headphones with the right kind of music were helpful but they'd get uncomfortable. The only effective coping strategy I know is to keep people like that out of my life, and even these days it seems I can't always do that without upsetting somebody.

littlecatinthewindow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 6:50 am

Being forced to hear shouting, and screaming. Even worse when it's directed at me. Being shouted at always makes me cry, and if I don't cry, I'll get angry and scream before eventually crying.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 7:35 am

Summer... some days I literally cannot function until nightfall, sweltering heat, blinding light, oozing sweat, noise is triple intensified, moodswings become bombs descending from a sky of overwhelming information crackling sources and a flooded capacity to navigate through the treacherous primal surface of my processing machine!

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 10:59 am

Polystyrene or packing peanuts. They sound absolutely awful.

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jun 2016, 11:06 am

The smell of hot breaks. It drives me totally insane, I hate it so much. That... and the THX opening movie sound. I've been terrified of that noise since I was little, and it's seriously torture to my ears.