Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

ASPowerationsReturns
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jun 2016, 9:47 pm

I don't know which conclusions to draw from the lawyer's assumption that it would be a good idea to mention that the client is autistic.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 6:45 am

Why if he is "autistic" then he would have been easily talked into this idea, obsessed on this idea, ect.
So therefore not in right mind of full understanding and get a shorter sentence.... I think that is the angle.
I bet a dollar their whole case will probably boil down to asking a lesser sentence than federal crime so that he can be sent back to UK to server whateve is passed down.

Yet what is tragic is that these cases are desensitizing judges to diagnosed people that end up in a crime and they get nailed like that poor mook that is in prison for lending an alleged killer... who got off., btw... his car.. and it was used in the murder of a person he didn't even know. Or the kids that get perma suspended because they are not cared for until after a big school incident and they cannot explain themselves well on what caused the commotion.

This rash of NON diagnosed/self diagnosed "autistics" committing crime is something that big stupid organizations like autism speaks should be watchdogging because it will cause the whole community problems. This particular person has been institutionalized and has a laundry list of diagnosis' but autism has not been one.

And then you have people to pounce on fish-eyed cold killer trope to attach.
All you need is people like the horrid woman working with kids I stumbled across in youtube.
A person who says "works with autistic kids as therapist (aka is a pseudo expert on autism as far as layman can see) and should know" that "all autists have no sense of humor and cannot sarcasm" or judge sensibly to vote an it is perfectly "accurate" to use autist as insult to person being told they are stupid and should have seen something is a "joke".

a decade of work is about to go down the tunes in fire as far as acceptance and understanding. I have AS, I can blend. My son is non verbal.... I fear for his future.

because abuse of these small imperfect protections:
scholarship.law.stjohns.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6683...

Quote:
specifically, this Note argues that while autism should not be an
affirmative defense, it should be used at trial to combat
prejudicial demeanor evidence and should be a mitigating factor
at sentencing.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/if-a ... 00654.html

Quote:
The attorney can make a 1368 Motion to ascertain whether or not the defendant is competent to stand trial. If he committed some kind of crime, he must have some level of sophistication, or perhaps the crime was the result of his autism, which may be a viable defense.

http://www.aane.org/asperger_resources/ ... ystem.html

Quote:
As crime victims rather than criminal offenders, individuals with AS present the perfect victim. People with AS reveal great difficulty in communicating details and experiences of their victimization, thus resulting in a lack of credibility in interview and court room situations

It's a new frontier.. a new gold rush of a buzz word that can be manipulated until there are standard measures on how to handle cases with autism across the states

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 7:34 am

We might never know for certain if Trump's would be assassin was proffessionally diagnosed due to patient confidentiality laws. His father is also claiming he is autistic. Adam Lanza is dead and it was such a horrific incident an official government report was produced that confirmed Lanza's diagnosis at Yale. The attempted assanination of Trump was underplayed the day it happened and has already been largely forgotten.

What rash of self diagnosed committing crimes?. As for non diagnosed committing crimes that is happaning constantly because around 99 percent of the population has not been diagnosed with Autism. What we have had is sensationalistic journalism implying or saying some spree killers are autistic based on flimsy evidence. In this case journalists have reported what is open public record.

If anything Autism Speaks would want to continue to encourage fear of autistics because that has what they have done a lot of and it is been good technique for fundraising.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 11:12 pm

I don't understand why whenever there is a shooter the media seems to always mention that they have some form of autism, even if the person doesn't have a diagnoses. It's like they think if someone does anything violent then it must mean they have autism. :roll:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 3:36 am

I do not agree much with anti vaxxer Anne Dashel but here I do as she comments on how The View covered this.
Assasination, Autism, Donald Trump

Quote:
Paula Faris: "He was here on an expired visa. He'd been living in his car for a month. The AP was reporting that he was autistic and had previously tried to kill himself, so this is probably somebody not in their right mind. For those of us that are in our right mind, ..."

How does "autistic" and "not in their right mind" fit in the same sentence? Would anyone be angry if she'd said, "The AP was reporting that he had Down Syndrome and had previously tried to kill himself, so this is probably somebody..."

This was, I'm sure, an unintended slur, but no one corrected the image of autism and violent behavior. And this enlightened panel of women went on to talk about "the vileness" of Trump's campaign rhetoric.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ersatz Einstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2016, 4:59 pm

Absolutely. And to make matters worse, I think that the lawyer mentioned autism to build a legally defined insanity defense. The definition of legal insanity is that the defendant didn't know the difference between right and wrong, meaning that while "not in his right mind" is insulting on its own, the defense here is actually perpetuating the damaging "no moral center"/"morality blind" stereotype.

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2016, 8:16 pm

Ersatz Einstein wrote:
Absolutely. And to make matters worse, I think that the lawyer mentioned autism to build a legally defined insanity defense. The definition of legal insanity is that the defendant didn't know the difference between right and wrong, meaning that while "not in his right mind" is insulting on its own, the defense here is actually perpetuating the damaging "no moral center"/"morality blind" stereotype.

Exactly. In order to be considered to be legally insane , as a criminal defense , the accused must not understand that his actions are deemed by society to be wrong . I have seen this as a plot device on an Law & Order SVU episode . http://lawandorder.wikia.com/wiki/Gabriel_Duvall. Not sure how well it would work in real life . I personally hope it will not be allowed in as a valid defense , due to the obvious stigma it will tend to attach to the rest of us . I believe that his defense attorney is grasping at straws , trying to zealously look after his client's interests , using whatever excuse to mitigate his actions But while he certainly seems to be a fanatic , as such zealots almost always are , perhaps with his autism playing a contributing factor in his obsession , he is not a lunatic . P.S. For what it's worth , in case you couldn't already tell , the legal field falls within my own narrow interest . I am even a certificated paralegal . So some of us actually put our obsessions to good use . 8)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 1:57 am

The insanity defense is rarely used and rarely works

The perception is otherwise probably because of the it worked for John Hinckley when he tried to assasinate President Reagan and for another highly publicized case from that era in which San Francisco supervisor Dan White assasinated the mayor George Moscone and openly gay supervisor Harvey Milk in which White was found guilty of lesser crimes which lead to rioting. Despite urban legend the "twinkie defense" was not used.