Looking for expert to review handout

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 10:34 am

I'm not usually in this forum. I'm often in General Autism Discussion and some of the other forums.

I'm preparing a seminar series for young adults on the spectrum- say, entering college and first jobs. I'm targeting three subjects: Job Preparation, College Survival, and Sex, Drinking, and Relationships. It's possible these subjects may change slightly, but these are the working titles for now. This is a free seminar series in the SW Virginia (US) area. I am unfunded and the only reason I'm doing this is to have something productive to do.

This last topic is what I need help with here. I'm the least comfortable talking to people about this subject. I have a two-page handout prepared and I do have a female undergraduate student (who is on the spectrum) who will be helping me to prepare and teach these seminars.

Would anyone be willing to take a look at this handout and offer suggestions or criticism? I could email it to you and you could tell me what I need to change.

I am considering people an "expert" if they are:
-on the autism spectrum (formally diagnosed or self-diagnosed) and any of the following
*have experience with in-person or cyber-dating
*have experience with drinking
*have experience with complicated friendships (any interpretation of "complicated" counts)

I don't care what age or gender you are. If you are 16 or 80, male or female, I would welcome your advice. Thanks for reading!

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 11:42 am

Quote:
I'm targeting three subjects: Job Preparation, College Survival, and Sex, Drinking, and Relationships.

Those are five subjects. :jester:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 1:33 pm

I believe this is where we have to go as far as aiding autistic people in the transition from adolescence to adulthood. From dependence to independence.

I have experience in all which you mention--except drinking alcohol.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 1:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I have experience in all which you mention--except drinking alcohol.

*steps in*
Oh hi!

Can assist with the relationships and drinking bit, namely how alcohol in lack of moderation can spoil healthy relationships.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 1:53 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:
I'm targeting three subjects: Job Preparation, College Survival, and Sex, Drinking, and Relationships.

Lol, yes. I combined Sex, Drinking, and Relationships into one because I didn't want to spend an entire day talking about any of those subjects alone. I've kind of gotten into the mindset where I want to tell young people to stay at home and mind their business, which is ridiculous, obviously. :roll:

TheSpectrum- I'll send you a direct message with my email.

Kraftie-I'll email you.

Thanks!

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 5:01 pm

I will pm you some of my expériences. I have to ask if there is a deadline you have for this?

Yes, my android thinks Im french for some reason. The fiance here is teaching herself french and i keep gettting french ads when watching youtube now.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 5:14 pm

I would be willing to look over your handout and help out. I've had more than my fair share of experience with all of those things.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 7:29 pm

Hi

I am diagnosed aspergers in a relationship with someone i met online. I have also had dating experience namely after i started going out an drinking. I have also had a really awkward crush on a friend that nearly turned into something but didnt as well as a friend with benefit situation. Maybe I could help? :)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 3:10 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:

Lol, yes. I combined Sex, Drinking, and Relationships into one because I didn't want to spend an entire day talking about any of those subjects alone. I've kind of gotten into the mindset where I want to tell young people to stay at home and mind their business, which is ridiculous, obviously. :roll:

TheSpectrum- I'll send you a direct message with my email.

Kraftie-I'll email you.

Thanks!

My sex and cyber-sex stories would include....pictures and videos. You can include them in your seminar as case studies

"One picture worth ten thousand words", you know.

Still interested? :skull:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 7:35 am

I should have mentioned: I've never done online dating. My last "date" was before the rise of the Internet.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 9:29 am

Allie and Stargazer- I sent you guys my email address.

Kraftie- That's completely okay. Real life experience still counts, lol. Friendship experience is also pretty important. I have a section in there about that too that I need advice on.

Boo- Oh lord I hope no one comes to the seminar hoping to see pictures and videos. :oops:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 12:53 pm

^ No pics? How boring. :-/