Another do I have Asperger's Syndrome

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2016, 7:53 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The notion that in the US all you got to do is call your insurence company get a referal and just pay a co pay is overly simplistic. Most insurence companies Obamacare or not do not cover adult assessment but will cover 180 hours of ABA because in 42 states covering treatments is mandated by law. Also many competent clinictions because they are in such demand do not accept insurance.

As an adult your best bet is to try and get yourself into a research program where often the assesment is paid for.

As late as 2012 only 1 to 2 percent of research and support money went to adults. Awareness of the neglect of adults is starting but is its very early stages.. The bad news it is going to be years if not decades for adult assesments and supports to be where it should be. The good news is that demand for adult research volunteers should increase,

As I've tried to help others with disabilities I've noticed one striking thing here in United States. Some people want to go to a certain doctor and if they can't go to that doctor they won't see any doctor at all. When you call up insurance company for a mental health referral it is simple they give you a list of who accepts your insurance and you call the numbers they give you and then you go see that provider.

I was helping a deaf co-worker trying to get help with seeing a mental health provider. She was calling all the numbers of Pychsologists out of the white pages asking if they except her insurance. Pretty much I told her to keep it simple stupid and call the number on the back of her card and her insurance will provide her with people who accept it that way she is not calling all these numbers for nothing.

I mean it's so easy you call the number on the back of the card, you tell them you want a mental health refferal either they will give you another number to call or start listing professionals. lol

somanyspoons wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
The notion that in the US all you got to do is call your insurence company get a referal and just pay a co pay is overly simplistic. Most insurence companies Obamacare or not do not cover adult assessment but will cover 180 hours of ABA because in 42 states covering treatments is mandated by law. Also many competent clinictions because they are in such demand do not accept insurance.

As an adult your best bet is to try and get yourself into a research program where often the assesment is paid for.

As late as 2012 only 1 to 2 percent of research and support money went to adults. Awareness of the neglect of adults is starting but is its very early stages.. The bad news it is going to be years if not decades for adult assesments and supports to be where it should be. The good news is that demand for adult research volunteers should increase,

Just be aware that the advice to get into a research program is NOT VALID for women. The tests they use to determine who is allowed to be labeled autistic for these tests are strict, observation based (so it doesn't matter how you feel, it matters how you act), and normed on boys with autism. (Norming is a process where scientists decide how to grade tests and where to put the line for who "passes."

Its known that autistic boys have significantly different presentation than autistic women, however, science hasn't started to address this in the research field.

I'm all for advancing the study of autistic women, but I don't want to lead any of the women on these boards into a humiliating situation. Its pretty broadly known that women are having a really hard time getting diagnosed, and these research facilities are not there to help you get a diagnosis. They are testing you to make sure that non-autistic people don't slip in and mess up their research.

We are never going to have a complete understanding of autism until we get away from the steriotypes that autism is an "extreme male brain" and then proceed to only test people who follow that theory - right? Its circular logic and that's exactly what science is supposed to prevent. But it is what is happening in research circles right now and there is no reason to put your own metaphorical neck out there.

If you know of researchers who are the exception, please let me know. But I can tell you this much - the Seaver Center in NYC is not one of them. I know of a really bad situation that happened with them.

My presentation is off as well as I have the subtype of The Actor. It's just a coping thing I've come up with throughout the years unknowning but even that veil eventually falls. I think the problem is either some people are so afraid they will go and be told they are not autistic after telling themselves they are for many years or they went to see a professional and left with a different diagnosis or none at all.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 11:02 am

Calling a clinicion from a list is very problematic. What you will get is a professional who takes your insurence for a mental health assesement. It is not likely the insurence will cover adult Autism Assessment and even if they do it is not likely the listed clinition will have a good understanding of Adult Autism.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 11:32 am

somanyspoons wrote:

Just be aware that the advice to get into a research program is NOT VALID for women. The tests they use to determine who is allowed to be labeled autistic for these tests are strict, observation based (so it doesn't matter how you feel, it matters how you act), and normed on boys with autism. (Norming is a process where scientists decide how to grade tests and where to put the line for who "passes."

Its known that autistic boys have significantly different presentation than autistic women, however, science hasn't started to address this in the research field.

I'm all for advancing the study of autistic women, but I don't want to lead any of the women on these boards into a humiliating situation. Its pretty broadly known that women are having a really hard time getting diagnosed, and these research facilities are not there to help you get a diagnosis. They are testing you to make sure that non-autistic people don't slip in and mess up their research.

We are never going to have a complete understanding of autism until we get away from the steriotypes that autism is an "extreme male brain" and then proceed to only test people who follow that theory - right? Its circular logic and that's exactly what science is supposed to prevent. But it is what is happening in research circles right now and there is no reason to put your own metaphorical neck out there.

If you know of researchers who are the exception, please let me know. But I can tell you this much - the Seaver Center in NYC is not one of them. I know of a really bad situation that happened with them.

My advice still stands because little chance of success is better then none. Adding to the above some facilities have age limits. If you can not afford to pay for an assesment you have no choice but to go where it is free or self diagnose/assesment. As aware as I am about how messed up things are I will rarely say any option is not valid at all. Just because one facilitly or one experience in one facility sucks does not mean all will be. Not all facilities will use incorrect tests and some people researching you will understand you are there because you have no other option and that the tests they use are flawed.

While I am mostly in the pro self diagnose if you want camp because of the above is why I part with that camp somewhat. This is is why I advise those that suspect autism but are doing ok or better financially to seriously consider getting professionally assesed. Employment security is not a thing today for all and a lot worse for autistics. While some clinictions will not give you a diagnosis if you have a job it is usually a less difficult with money. Better to start the process now then later when you are desperate and mentally stressed or worse with no money.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2016, 11:05 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Calling a clinicion from a list is very problematic. What you will get is a professional who takes your insurence for a mental health assesement. It is not likely the insurence will cover adult Autism Assessment and even if they do it is not likely the listed clinition will have a good understanding of Adult Autism.

If your calling from a list on the white pages then yes. If you're calling from a list your insurance is giving you when you call them you let them know what your looking for and they will either tell you they do not have anyone on staff who can properly diagnosis or they will tell you they do. Essentially why are people so afriad to call that number on the back of their insurance card and see someone with more experience than a Xanga Quiz.

An assessment cost is your copay. My new job my co-pay is 20 dollars. In fact with the job I just started I called the number I have on the back of my card last Friday and they gave me their mental health refferal provider for my HMO for a list of mental health providers. I called them up and got a list of providers who specialize in Autism Spectrum Disorder and I got my first appointment with someone new this Thursday.

I think the older saying applies here some people here who self diagnosis here in the U.S when people ask about going to see a professional, your making a mountain out of a molehill.

For those who do not understand that saying https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_a_mo ... a_molehill

Quote:
The idiom is a metaphor for the common behaviour of responding disproportionately to something - usually an adverse circumstance. One who "makes a mountain out of a molehill" is said to be greatly exaggerating the severity of the situation.[1] In cognitive psychology, this form of distortion is called magnification.[2] The phrase itself is so common that a study by psychologists found that with respect to familiarity and image value, it ranks high among the 203 common sayings they tested.[3]

Similar idioms include 'Much ado about nothing' and 'Making a song and dance about nothing'. The meaning finds its opposite in the fable about the mountain in labour that gives birth to a mouse. In the former too much is made of little; in the latter one is led to expect much, but with too little result. The two appear to converge in William Caxton's translation of the fable (1484), where he makes of the mountain a hylle whiche beganne to tremble and shake by cause of the molle whiche delved it.[4] In other words, he mimics the meaning of the fable by turning a mountain into a molehill. It was in the context of this bringing together of the two ideas that the English idiom grew.