US International image - Obama, Clinton & Trump

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 4:48 pm

Pew just released a study showing the international image of The United States in several major world countries. It also included specific questions wrt. President Obama and the two presumptive nominees for president, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.

First of all, it is quite clear that Europeans have a significantly more positive view of both Obama and Clinton than Trump, as the latter apparently inspires only slightly more international confidence than Russian anti-doping efforts.

It is also obvious that the differences of opinion wrt. Clinton and Trump are apparently quite global. Here is a quite illustrative comparison of the two:

Source:
http://www.pewglobal.org/2016/06/29/as- ... -and-asia/ (Summary)
http://www.pewglobal.org/files/2016/06/ ... 9-2016.pdf (Full report)
http://www.pewglobal.org/2016/06/29/methodology-26/ (Methodology)

It is a shame that the study doesn't include the views of Mexicans and Russians, though, given the current political debates in the US.

Please discuss.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 6:07 pm

Trump pledges to "put America first".

So, it makes sense that the losers of such a policy wouldn't like it.

-he wants to cut NATO funding
-he wants to cut UN funding
-require foreign nations pay for use of our military
-tariffs on imports
-cut foreign aid
-cancel the "Paris agreement"
-cancel free trade agreements

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 6:10 pm

Trump is seen as being the "Ugly American" type. Coarse, crude, blunt, bigoted, loud, stuff like that.

Stephen__
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jun 2016, 6:35 pm

Trump is like a cartoon villian. Choosing him to run a country with a nuclear arsenal seems like the dumbest idea ever. I seriously thought it was just a ridiculous hoax when I first read of his campaign for presidency but it has gone from funny to terrifying.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 8:27 pm

Stephen__ wrote:
Trump is like a cartoon villian. Choosing him to run a country with a nuclear arsenal seems like the dumbest idea ever. I seriously thought it was just a ridiculous hoax when I first read of his campaign for presidency but it has gone from funny to terrifying.

Trump never got anyone killed, or put the national security of the country at risk. Hillary is a tyrant. With Trump we will become an ally with Russia and Britain now that they are out of the EU. Nationalism is taking over and it's about damn time.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 8:33 pm

These results are more a function of how Obama, Clinton, and Trump are regarded (and so portrayed) by the global media elite than anything else.

There Are Four Lights!

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 8:46 pm

Darmok wrote:
These results are more a function of how Obama, Clinton, and Trump are regarded (and so portrayed) by the global media elite than anything else.

Yup

Stephen__

29 Jun 2016, 8:57 pm

Best case scenario Trump will slash and burn through his only term in office to remove any regulation standing in the way of him and his uber-rich cronies then go off laughing into retirement on the billions in corporate kick-backs leaving a smoking wreckage that will take the next decade to repair. Anything else he says is a populist narrative.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 9:14 pm

Stephen__ wrote:
Best case scenario Trump will slash and burn through his only term in office to remove any regulation standing in the way of him and his uber-rich cronies then go off laughing into retirement on the billions in corporate kick-backs leaving a smoking wreckage that will take the next decade to repair. Anything else he says is a populist narrative.

So, Bush III?

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 9:26 pm

CommanderKeen wrote:
Stephen__ wrote:

Trump never got anyone killed, or put the national security of the country at risk. Hillary is a tyrant. With Trump we will become an ally with Russia and Britain now that they are out of the EU. Nationalism is taking over and it's about damn time.

We could never be Russia's ally, but we could be Russia's b***h...

If Trump wins he will be remembered in the same breath as Neville Chamberlain.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 9:32 pm

I. don't. trust. Russia!

Why would we want to be an ally to Russia?

I wouldn't mind us having a neutral relationship with Russia---so I could travel there some day.

But an ally? Ridiculous!

Putin is an ex-KGB man.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 10:26 pm

Putin's black Lab Koni was the real power that ran Russia.lol
https://euobserver.com/foreign/123706

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 7:39 am

Sh** talk all you want. We can very well be an ally with Russia, just not while we're an ally to countries like Saudi Arabia. Putin is against globalism, Trump is against globalism, Britain just voted to exit the EU. I don't trust how the media portrays anyone, let alone Putin. After all, like I said Putin is against globalism; ex-KGB or not.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 7:54 am

Putin is a totalitarian bastard. I wouldn't want him as my ally.

I want to go on the Siberian Express, though.....so I hope we can still "agree to disagree" with Russia.

People who want to be allies with Russia are usually Trump apologists.

I hope somebody comes out of the woodwork---and defeats both The Donald and Hillary.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 8:09 am

CommanderKeen wrote:
Sh** talk all you want. We can very well be an ally with Russia, just not while we're an ally to countries like Saudi Arabia. Putin is against globalism, Trump is against globalism, Britain just voted to exit the EU. I don't trust how the media portrays anyone, let alone Putin. After all, like I said Putin is against globalism; ex-KGB or not.

International Politics 101: alliances aren't free, there's a cost. The cost of an alliance with Russia would not only cost us our alliance with greater Europe, it would flat out make them enemies. So s**t's running, trade is happening, and although everything is not great, it isn't terrible...then we go make an enemy out of Europe (remember the EU as a whole is actually larger than the American economy) and trade wars start happening: the flow of goods stops running, trade slows, and that economic chain leads to unemployment and an evaporation of wealth in THIS country. We have absolutely nothing to gain by that agreement other than showing we can be just as hard-headed and foolish as our cousins across the pond.
Furthermore, Russia is not our friend, they never have been. Putin runs a sham democracy every bit as shameful as the juntas that have controlled large swaths of South America and Africa under the banner of "democracy". If I'm going to be allies with someone, it's gonna be allies that have the same core principles as myself. You want to sell your soul to the devil be my guest, but don't be surprised when the rest of this nation looks on aghast.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

30 Jun 2016, 10:01 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Trump pledges to "put America first".

So, it makes sense that the losers of such a policy wouldn't like it.

-he wants to cut NATO funding
-he wants to cut UN funding
-require foreign nations pay for use of our military
-tariffs on imports
-cut foreign aid
-cancel the "Paris agreement"
-cancel free trade agreements

Pretty much this

Trump is the preferred candidate in Russia and even China despite all the rhetoric, who cares who the international left that controls Europe wants? Am I suppose to care if Canada or Sweden have 'no confidence' in us? Who cares? Trump could actually use diplomacy and help repair or relationship with the next two most powerful nations on earth.

Europe has nowhere else to go, they don't get to dictate the terms of their relationship with the US. Trump is about America first, obviously a lot of freeloaders don't like that.