Page 1 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

29 Jun 2016, 11:14 pm

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, sorry.

Does anyone go the cinema by themselves? I have. It's...not too bad, especially when you're seeing something you want to see. Weeks ago I saw X-Men Apocalypse, and I was literally the only one in the cinema at the time (3:00pm AUS time). That didn't feel too bad.

On the other hand, if I've invited "friends"* to come along, and they decline, then going to see a film by myself can be a bit of a downer.

Just earlier today a friend got back to me about seeing Central Intelligence. Rather than confirm whether he was going or not, he texted me, mostly in caps lock, that I "better not talk during the film". I took this as a hostile action, and basically told him to eff-off. I was unaware that I, allegedly, talked so much. Better not to hang out with such hostile people.

That last one was a bit of a rant, my bad. So does anyone else go to see films solo, by choice?

* I use the term friends loosely sometimes, because I'm not always 100% sure that the people I call my friends actually are.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 11:44 pm

Can't do it. If I can't go with someone, I just don't go!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 11:48 pm

I don't go to film anymore because it's too expensive.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 1:21 am

You can go to the cinema alone if you say you are paid to write film reviews. Nobody will likely ask you but if they do that's what you say

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 1:34 am

No...you say you're alone because you want to see the movie and don't care if someone is with you or don't want someone with you. Of course you can go alone; why would you lie about it?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 1:50 am

I always go to the cinema alone.

I also pick the time of day to ensure that the cinema isn't full. Then I can get a seat all by myself with no-one sitting next to me.

Furthermore, I don't know what is common in Australia, but talking during a movie at all in the cinema is considered *extremely* impolite in Denmark.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 2:44 am

I have been going to places that people tend to associate with going with other people most of my life and I like it that way. When I attend a movie I am there to see the movie, if I attend A baseball game I am there to see the game. Adding other person(s) distracts me from what I am there to do.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 3:51 am

I would hate to go to the cinema alone. It would just feel intimidating to me, because every time I've ever gone to the cinema I've always been with people.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 4:13 am

I go to the cinema alone all the time. I only go during the matinee times, because there are only about 5 or less people and the ticket prices are lower. I only go to the cinema about 4 time a year, so I don't do it very much. Of course, with all the terrorist threats out there, it just make me want to avoid going to the cinema when it busy even more.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 5:01 am

Grammar Geek wrote:
No...you say you're alone because you want to see the movie and don't care if someone is with you or don't want someone with you. Of course you can go alone; why would you lie about it?

Exactly why lie - and care - about other peoples opinion if you go alone to a movie?

I prefer not going to cinemas myself anymore, not because i do not have someone to go with, but because of all the other people. I do not want to be disturbed by some idiot who didn't turn off her mobile or some immature children throwing popcorn and stuff around (unless they make it legal to punch people like that in the face).

I'm gonna go see a movie this week with a friend, mostly just because to spend some time together, we're seeing an older movie so the theatre will not be filled to the max (far from it).

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 6:20 am

Always!! ! I love it! It's the only way to see a film you really want to concentrate on. I can see how it's more fun to be with someone for a comedy or blockbuster action or fantasy, but for most other films being alone is ideal for me.

The right time of day and day of the week makes for a different experience though. It's not much fun to go alone on a Saturday evening when it's packed full of people with friends and family.

But if you go on a weekday morning or afternoon, you often get the place to yourself, or find that there are other people going alone. It doesn't feel embarrassing -- I think when I was very young, the first time I went alone I felt awkward. But I got over that and spent the rest of my adulthood perfectly happy to go alone.

There's no need to fore-go things you would enjoy just because there's nobody to come with you. I have gone to music concerts alone too. Once you get past feeling weird about it, you never feel weird about it again. It's great. Be brave and do what you want even if it's alone.

Having said that, these days I barely go at all anymore because my local audiences have become so rude and inconsiderate even at what would normally be a quiet time of day for showings.

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

30 Jun 2016, 8:10 am

Saw Central Intelligence with the person I consider my best friend. He recently had a death in the family, so I thought maybe going to see something funny would cheer him up a bit. He turned up at my place earlier to hang out (maybe he felt bored/down too).

So I didn't end up going solo after all. Oh, and the film was hilarious!

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 9:23 am

I don't go to the cinema much at all, but i have no problems going alone.
I go to theater, concerts and other events when i want to, often combined with dinner in a restaurant.
If i know some people who live nearby, i'll text them with a lose invitation to join me, but it is more along the lines of "I'm gonna do X, wanna join?"
Then i just go, not even waiting for an answer

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

30 Jun 2016, 10:24 am

No, I have no interest going by myself.

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2016, 10:29 am

Flying solo. Cinemas included.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 10:31 am

I like going to the movies by myself. The first time I did this was when I was 9 years old.

I just gorge on popcorn without anybody watching me. And enjoy the movie.