Licensed to carry black man shot by police

Page 6 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 9:06 pm

luan78zao wrote:
beneficii wrote:
I tend to act patronizing to people who make crap up and refuse to back down when called on it.

Several people in this thread have pronounced a final verdict on this incident, declaring that it was a racially-motivated murder despite a lack of evidence proving such. I'm not one of them. Do you own a mirror?

Quote:
It's because I have a hard time respecting such them.

Right back atcha, ma'am. And the rest of the lynch mob too.

I don't think the officer thought, Oh, a black man! Gotta shoot him! Do you think I'm stupid or something?

Implicit, or unconscious, racial bias where you discriminate based on race without even realizing it, on the other hand, is a real and well-documented societal problem. There is evidence that police officers are more likely to interpret actions by a black man as more hostile than the same actions by a white man, because of this implicit bias. There's a good chance the decision-making of the officer in this case was influenced by this unconscious bias.

Harvard even has a test for people to see how biased they are racially. You'd be surprised:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/u ... ndexrk.htm

Here are articles, one from a scholarly source and another from a news source, that explore these implicit biases in policing and criminal justice:

http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article ... al_justice

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... ce-system/

Implicit racial bias is what we're talking about here.

EDIT: Here's a more recent source, that speaks to this thread's issue directly:

http://www.livescience.com/55337-uncons ... -bias.html

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 1:42 am

As beneficii indicated implicit racial bias carried by the police is widespread. Here in Australia it's been recognized that people joining the police force have no exposure at all to lower socioeconomic groups and particularly other cultural groups. There tends to be an unhealthy preference to only associate with people like themselves, live in areas where there people like themselves and send their kids to all white schools.

There has been a heavy emphasis on Australian police recruits getting considerable exposure to other cultures (particularly indigenous) in order they properly understand cultural sensitivity and not make rash ignorant decisions when dealing with other cultures...

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 3:13 am

I did Criminal Justice in Australia about...15 years ago now (state run college).

We had to do mandatory aboriginal and other cultural studies, and policing of the same.

Classes always had token minorities, people from various income levels, and similar demographic diversity.

Not saying there's no problems, but the education was there at least 20 years ago (classes were the same for some time).

Naturally, they tend to use aboriginal police in aboriginal communities. That's taking it the next step further that...I have some issues with (doesn't really point to a unified nation at the state level for my liking).

It'd be interesting what the education/training is like in the US. They tended to be ahead of "us" in regards to police procedure for minorities and similar (as they've had to police them to a higher degree).

I question that say, a white person that's always around white people, will have innate biases when exposed to a different culture [or class]--language barriers are the biggest problem, and if everyone can speak the same language, it shouldn't be a problem at all. We're still dealing with nations that have similar education and social structure; people are far more alike than unlike when under the same flag with the same education.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 3:23 am

beneficii wrote:
Harvard even has a test for people to see how biased they are racially. You'd be surprised:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/u ... ndexrk.htm

I always knew I was transracial.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 7:36 am

As to the actual incident that this thread is about. I withdraw any opinion about that. I still have a general feeling that the guy was killed, but things keep popping out that make it seem pretty complicated, so I'm not going to pretend that I know about it.

I DO know about living in the "ghetto" and about poor people. I won't bother to argue my point any further. In real life, I would have agreed with everything ZenDen said and also called him sir, because of his age and my age. It's ridiculous for me to act like I know more than he does when he's a lot older than I am, even if it's a topic that I'm personally familiar with.

I apologize for publicly disagreeing with you, Zen. It's not my place to argue with you in the first place and I'm clearly not going to change your mind.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 9:03 am

@ ZenDen:

Wow. I might as well have been talking about pickles and ice cream, cuz then, maybe, I would‘ve better understood your reply.

I broke my OWN rule by revealing things in that post that I’ve never divulged, before, on this site; but, I thought it was really important to do so, so that you could see that I truly CAN relate to some of the things, some black people have experienced----but, I feel, now, that I made a mistake in doing so, because it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. (My rule is to not reveal any of the really bad things that have happened in my life, in a debate [IMO, it cheapens them]----but, to only reveal them if I think my doing so, could help someone.)

Bottom line, for ME, is that you’ll never, in a million years, convince me that the way I feel / think about this subject, is wrong----and, you’ll never convince me that you’re right, so…..

I leave this conversation, with you, here.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 9:19 am

Hi SocOfAutism :D

As to the actual incident that this thread is about. I withdraw any opinion about that. I still have a general feeling that the guy was killed, but things keep popping out that make it seem pretty complicated, so I'm not going to pretend that I know about it.

I DO know about living in the "ghetto" and about poor people. I won't bother to argue my point any further. In real life, I would have agreed with everything ZenDen said and also called him sir, because of his age and my age. It's ridiculous for me to act like I know more than he does when he's a lot older than I am, even if it's a topic that I'm personally familiar with.

:D But even an "old fart" can still learn things. The thing about getting older, for me, is that you have plenty of time to review......

CORRECTION: I SAID IN AN EARLIER POST MY FRIEND BOB HAD BEEN EXECUTED BY CHICAGO POLICE SOMETIME NEAR THE END OF MY MACHINERY MOVING DAYS..IT HAPPENED IN '68...LONG BEFORE.
SEE: FORGETTING THINGS IS ALSO A FEATURE OF GETTING OLDER! :(

But I had many years to think and to analyze the reasons for this kind of thing happening. After I stopped working I found all the energy expended thinking about work (etc.) I could now spend thinking my own thoughts...it's been 11 years now since I retired....still get things wrong about 1/2 the time. :oops:

I apologize for publicly disagreeing with you, Zen. It's not my place to argue with you in the first place and I'm clearly not going to change your mind.

You can change my mind about many things...easily...but this one I'm pretty sure I have "nailed." But if you and others don't argue with me then I'll never learn, just get big-headed and stupid...and I'll try to be more complete, instead of gruff (there's really no reason for that) so others may understand my logic better.

I apologize for publicly disagreeing with you, Zen. OK, I accept, but if you stop disagreeing I'll be very disappointed. Old Farts make mistakes as well...who will correct us if not you? I appreciate discussing things with you and like that you have so much patience.

One reason (besides enjoying all the people here) I spend time here "jabbering on" about things is merely because I am older. I find events often happen in something close to a "generational" cycle so that the incidents (such as racial uprising and government oppression) I experienced and witnessed in my teens and twenty's, are "damped down" only often to reoccur (such as racial rioting). I note the similarities/differences and regurgitate what I remember. From my first memories I've always felt compelled to learn things...I guess this is what happens to the things I've learned (sometimes). :D

Please let me apologize to you and others...with these memories on my shoulders (if you will) I tend often to be short and (although I try not to be) dismissive. EXAMPLE: People making slight of the WWII atrocities has lead me to say things that got me an official reprimand from the board...that's how things can sometimes get away from me. My deepest apologies to anyone I may have "steam rollered"...it was stupidly unintentional.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 9:20 am

Dillogic wrote:
Really, there's no way anyone can come to a valid conclusion for this one.

A video after the fact by an eyewitness isn't any better than the police release; jumping either way is showing bias. BLM using it [before facts are known] as evidence of brutality is utterly wrong, and at worst, outright manipulation; at best, utter ignorance.

Something like say, the Sterling case, where you can see much of what happens, gives you a pretty good idea of who's to blame. BLM shouldn't use this one either, but they did.

I AGREE!!

I might also add that an after-the-fact video could ALSO be manipulation. What do we see----other than the obvious (a man dying)----we see a woman being respectful, while a weapon is trained on her boyfriend. She knew she was recording----it would've been really stupid of her, to be disrespectful, THEN, no.1; and no.2, how do we know, at-this-point, what happened BEFORE she began recording?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 9:43 am

beneficii wrote:
Implicit, or unconscious, racial bias where you discriminate based on race without even realizing it, on the other hand, is a real and well-documented societal problem. There is evidence that police officers are more likely to interpret actions by a black man as more hostile than the same actions by a white man, because of this implicit bias. There's a good chance the decision-making of the officer in this case was influenced by this unconscious bias.

"Well-documented" does not equal "PROOF", because documents can be slanted by the writer, misinterpreted by the reader, etc.; and, even videos / photos can be misinterpreted by the viewer----or, slanted by the video-taker, as, IMO, could, very well, have been done in THIS case.

If you're WHITE----man OR woman----and, you have a gun on your lap when you're pulled-over, your chances of getting shot / killed, are VERY good!!

I'm thinking an UNconscious officer is incapable of making ANY decisions / biases----they might be there in his SUBconcious, but how could we know, if he's unconscious?

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 9:46 am

Hi again Campin_Cat :D

You said: Wow. I might as well have been talking about pickles and ice cream, cuz then, maybe, I would‘ve better understood your reply.

I broke my OWN rule by revealing things in that post that I’ve never divulged, before, on this site; but, I thought it was really important to do so, so that you could see that I truly CAN relate to some of the things, some black people have experienced----but, I feel, now, that I made a mistake in doing so, because it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Yep...VERY deaf ears. It wasn't until well after our posts that this occurred to me. IN EXPLANATION: Would it surprise you to know I had NO friends (including friendly relatives) until I met my wife when I was 18...like so many here? Socially (and associated niceties) I blunder about...I'm sorry I "blundered" here as well. :oops: :oops: :oops:

(My rule is to not reveal any of the really bad things that have happened in my life, in a debate [IMO, it cheapens them]----but, to only reveal them if I think my doing so, could help someone.)

I can relate. There have been terrible things in my life I won't even share with my wife of 54 years. You'd think that might make me much more sensitive...but it hasn't...it takes work.

But I'm working on it.

Bottom line, for ME, is that you’ll never, in a million years, convince me that the way I feel / think about this subject, is wrong----and, you’ll never convince me that you’re right, so…..

Wellll...they say "never say never." When I was younger, before much of my life, I would have agreed with you 100%; perhaps something may yet happen in your life to change your thoughts on the subject? For me, to think I will always think the same, frightens me a little. I now actively question all of my long held beliefs, and find some need to be updated, perhaps by you...or perhaps others?

I leave this conversation, with you, here.

And I look forward to more interesting learning from you (selfish, huh?).

The privation you lived through when you were young was something I did not experience; for me the lack was mostly all social/emotional. It's not easy to be able to put yourself in someone's shoes as they grew up, and for me (and others) it's especially hard. I do much better with cold facts. I should have tried harder...I apologize for not treating you like a human being instead of a disembodied voice in a paragraph. Mia Culpa, Mia Culpa, Mia Culpa. :oops:

EDIT: To add last paragraph, :oops: (again).

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 12:31 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
beneficii wrote:

"Well-documented" does not equal "PROOF", because documents can be slanted by the writer, misinterpreted by the reader, etc.; and, even videos / photos can be misinterpreted by the viewer----or, slanted by the video-taker, as, IMO, could, very well, have been done in THIS case.

If you're WHITE----man OR woman----and, you have a gun on your lap when you're pulled-over, your chances of getting shot / killed, are VERY good!!

What would you consider proof? To me, if it's well-documented, and studies supporting it consistently appear in the peer-reviewed literature, then you should work on the assumption that it's real.

Moreover, I think looking at it with this approach, because of the documented pervasiveness of this bias, is a lot more fruitful than trying to defame a dead man with made-up bullcrap to make us feel better about what happened.

Quote:
I'm thinking an UNconscious officer is incapable of making ANY decisions / biases----they might be there in his SUBconcious, but how could we know, if he's unconscious?

What are you talking about? I'm talking about implicit bias, where it influences your decisions even though you're unaware of it. Another word for this is "unconscious bias", because it emphasizes the unaware part. A key point about implicit bias is that it is automatic, often influencing your decision-making even though you are not aware of any such bias.

We are not aware of everything that goes on in our minds, and our decision-making process is always affected by unseen factors in our mind. This is the groundbreaking insight of modern psychology.

The purpose of the Implicit Associations Test is to reveal the implicit biases people have about race, what they automatically associate members of certain races with:

Quote:
The Implicit Association Test (IAT) measures attitudes and beliefs that people may be unwilling or unable to report. The IAT may be especially interesting if it shows that you have an implicit attitude that you did not know about. For example, you may believe that women and men should be equally associated with science, but your automatic associations could show that you (like many others) associate men with science more than you associate women with science.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/education.html

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 7:18 pm

ZenDen wrote:
There have been terrible things in my life I won't even share with my wife of 54 years. You'd think that might make me much more sensitive...but it hasn't...it takes work. But I'm working on it.

I find this very interesting----you're the second person, this week, to say that to me. I've told most people I've ever met about all the bad things that have happened in my life----my thinking was: "You have to know ALL of me, and if you're STILL accepting of me, we've got a chance". I guess I figured a relationship didn't stand a chance, unless I put all of my cards on the table.

Campin_Cat wrote:

Wellll...they say "never say never." When I was younger, before much of my life, I would have agreed with you 100%;

Ah, yes----when I was younger, before much of my life, I wouldn't have said it, cuz I KNEW better. I am OLDER, now----AFTER much of my life, and to borrow from Joni Mitchell, "I've looked at life from both sides now".

In the seventies, when you were working with / talking to those black men, and I was going to school with black kids, I SHARED your opinion of them. Now, that I'm LIVING / working with them, as an ADULT, I see things from a MUCH different perspective.

By THEN, my mother had gotten a good job, and had a car, and we had a TV----and, I often felt badly for people who couldn't have that. Also, when one has someone taking care of them, one sees things differently.

NOW, when I'm struggling, so, it's very difficult for me to feel sorry for someone who cries "poor-mouth", all-the-time, is on welfare, etc., but can go to the hair-dresser's anytime they want, drives a nice car, etc., etc.

Also, we're talking about 40 years ago (+/-)..... Your opinions seem NOT to have changed----my guess is, because your EXPERIENCES have not changed----MINE HAVE (opinions AND experiences). IMO, if my thinking of things hadn't broaden, I don't know if I'd've survived, "out here".

When one is thirty-ish, they react differently to people, and people react differently, to THEM, than when they're in their seventies----just as when one is in their teens, as *I* was. Also, it was a different time, in our country----different culture----the people we were relating-to, back THEN, are NOT the same people, today, EITHER.

For me, to think I will always think the same, frightens me a little.

Maybe because thinking the same, would mean you haven't grown / increased your knowledge, or whatever. I can understand that----I'm thinking it's quite common for ASDers, because we hunger, so, for knowledge. I can NEVER (there's that word, again, LOL) learn enough!!

I now actively question all of my long held beliefs, and find some need to be updated.....

That's WONDERFUL----IMO, very healthy!! When I was a kid, a person your age with that attitude was, seemingly, non-existent.

The privation you lived through when you were young was something I did not experience; for me the lack was mostly all social/emotional. It's not easy to be able to put yourself in someone's shoes as they grew up, and for me (and others) it's especially hard. I do much better with cold facts. I should have tried harder...I apologize for not treating you like a human being instead of a disembodied voice in a paragraph. Mia Culpa, Mia Culpa, Mia Culpa.

Actually, I experienced MORE years of privation, as an ADULT, than a child----that was partly the point of my post; and, why I'm on a mission, now!

I don't know that there ARE any "cold facts". I mean, for every fact, there's a counter-fact; for every research, there's a counter; for every study, there's a counter----the best one can do, maybe, is "best 3-outta-5", or something. Plus, I feel if we allow ourselves to get stuck in the mindset of "Just the facts, ma'am", we might miss a chance to grow. Aspies seem to want everything in a nice, neat little package, tied-up with a bow (I, certainly, have been guilty of this), but life can't always give us that----sometimes, if we're lucky enough to even GET a package, the wait for wrapping paper, seems to take forever; and THEN, we might have to wait ANOTHER millennium (not literal), for a BOW. (My theory is, people like us like to have control over the OUTSIDE [I've been like this, too], cuz we have no control, over the INSIDE; and, our insides are driving us crazy, so we've gotta have a reprieve, SOMEWHERE.)

I accept your apology!!

Take care,

Cat

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 7:48 pm

beneficii wrote:
What would you consider proof? To me, if it's well-documented, and studies supporting it consistently appear in the peer-reviewed literature, then you should work on the assumption that it's real.

One could argue that there IS no proof----only our conclusions. I'm guessing that for every study, there's a counter-study----and, every study can be skewed in favor of whomever's paying for it. IMO, the best we can do, maybe, is to read everything we can get our hands on, from BOTH sides of an argument, and take the best 3 outta 5, or something.

Quote:

What are you talking about?

That was my way of tactfully telling you, you had used the wrong word (you should've used SUBconscious, instead of UNconscious).

I'm talking about implicit bias, where it influences your decisions even though you're unaware of it. Another word for this is "unconscious bias".....

If you read that term "unconscious bias" in some study, paper, article, or whatever, the person who wrote it, was in err.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 8:31 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
beneficii wrote:

One could argue that there IS no proof----only our conclusions. I'm guessing that for every study, there's a counter-study----and, every study can be skewed in favor of whomever's paying for it. IMO, the best we can do, maybe, is to read everything we can get our hands on, from BOTH sides of an argument, and take the best 3 outta 5, or something.

Quote:

What are you talking about?

That was my way of tactfully telling you, you had used the wrong word (you should've used SUBconscious, instead of UNconscious).

I'm talking about implicit bias, where it influences your decisions even though you're unaware of it. Another word for this is "unconscious bias".....

If you read that term "unconscious bias" in some study, paper, article, or whatever, the person who wrote it, was in err.

I rarely, if ever, come across "subconscious bias", but whatever.

"One could argue that there IS no proof----only our conclusions. I'm guessing that for every study, there's a counter-study----and, every study can be skewed in favor of whomever's paying for it. IMO, the best we can do, maybe, is to read everything we can get our hands on, from BOTH sides of an argument, and take the best 3 outta 5, or something."

Yeah, there are people who say there is "no proof" of evolution, "no proof" of climate change, "no proof" of anything. They say we can't know anything about anything, so we might as well treat everybody's point as just as valid as any other, no matter how how made-up it is.

Sorry. I'm not buying it.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 8:44 pm

Implicit bias is real. Training against implicit bias is becoming more common among police forces in the US.

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/maga ... _id=102011

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 8:57 pm

beneficii wrote:
Now they'll say you had it coming if an officer gets scared and shoots you.

I'd almost like to see them try that, me being blond and blue and lacking any criminal record, but the whole getting shot part sounds like a deal breaker. I've never been pulled over with a gun in my lap, but if I were, I'd be damned sure to tuck the thing out of sight before the cop got to my window, it's not like you don't have time while pulling over, and throwing it under the seat can be done pretty inconspicuously. Really, if someone wanted to shoot a cop who's pulling them over, the way to do it would be to already have the gun in your hand when they come to the window, maybe under a map or something, this whole "he went for the gun" thing doesn't make any sense on any level.

The whole thing kinda makes me want to get one of those personal dash cams, just in case.