I don't seem to learn/understand information-Can you help me

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Technic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jul 2016, 9:01 am

How do I/autistic/aspergers think and learn?

I have Aspergers (diagnosed)

I've noticed that when I research anything for example a book, online article or wiki, I struggle to make sense of what thins im reading, it might as well be written in another language!

I can understand when things are put into laymens terms
But even then I struggle to remember what I've just read

What annoys me is that I'm interested in a subject but can't understand what I'm being taught.

I think I'm the same when it comes to verbal communication, not great.

Can anyone help me figure out how I learn?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 9:10 am

Some people do better if the information is presented visually in the form of pictures. Sometimes it helps to actually experience what you are learning--physics experiments, for example.

Commadore1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jul 2016, 4:15 pm

From my personal experience it seems and only SEEMS, like because of the fact that my brain never shuts off and is constantly analyzing and thinking every second, that i trouble with memory because the hard drive becomes full every 10 seconds.

Thats just how i feel, id try experimenting with learning styles.

Good luck

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 9:04 pm

I learn visually by seeing and doing. I don't learn well by having someone talk at me or simply reading words on a page. I have far more difficulty reading a paper copy text than I do digitally. Sometimes I will highlight each sentence I read in digital format to help me focus and be able to absorb what I am reading. There is a software program called "inspiration" which is useful for visual learners and might help you. You should check it out.

Maxima12
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2016, 11:51 am

I had the same problem when I was younger. You can improve by time, just try to read more often, first start with some things that are simple and read as much as possible (all day every day, take all your free time for reading books). After some time you will improve for sure, you just need to work very very hard.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jul 2016, 10:08 am

When that happens to me I usually read/write down the sentence or the words over and over again until I remember it and move on to the next. If I don't understand it I split the sentence into parts first.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 10:39 am

I learn a lot by building and fixing things. When I was a kid there was a done of broken stuff that needed fixing!

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 1:11 pm

W91T wrote:
When that happens to me I usually read/write down the sentence or the words over and over again until I remember it and move on to the next. If I don't understand it I split the sentence into parts first.

That's how I study. I actually basically have to rewrite my notes to study for tests and exams. I guess I have to see it to understand it rather than just read it.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

McCat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jul 2016, 3:32 pm

structrix wrote:
W91T wrote:

That's how I study. I actually basically have to rewrite my notes to study for tests and exams. I guess I have to see it to understand it rather than just read it.

Me too! I never knew how to learn. So I just kept rewriting it. After a while I good usually 'see' the answer to test questions in my mind.

SoberSanta
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jul 2016, 11:28 am

Im a very visual thinker so trying to learn through reading is difficult if i cant visualize what im trying to learn. Ive found i need to use/see information in several different mediums to increase my chances of remembering what ive experienced.

I try to draw pictures of what im learning and add 'out of place' bits and assigning meanings to the small bits. Then if i need to remember some physical/chemical relationship i recall the full picture/model in my head and pray i remember what i was thinking when i came up with it.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 3:00 pm

McCat wrote:
structrix wrote:
W91T wrote:

Me too! I never knew how to learn. So I just kept rewriting it. After a while I good usually 'see' the answer to test questions in my mind.

Me three! :lol: I was studying a new subject last year. I think I re-wrote the entire text book in order to absorb the information.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 11:06 am

Me four! :D

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2016, 12:14 am

Maybe not the correct approach to learning. I do best with a combination of visual, tactile and verbal. Even when watching something that interests me, I'll have images related to the topic and objects as well that I can interact with.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 7:18 am

How old are you, Technic? Your post sounds like you might be struggling with dyslexia in addition to autism. If that is true, there are teaching techniques that could help you.

Your age matters because there are different ways of helping different ages when it comes to reading problems.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2016, 8:48 am

What substances are you prescribed?

-Johnnyh

LanguageMeterScholar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jul 2016, 12:36 am

I think it pays to keep in mind that a lot of neurotypical conversation and written language doesn't make sense(though some autistics can also be perpetrators of nonsense). That's some thing that wasn't explained when I first went to university. Neurotypicals have special instincts that allow them to disregard the snakey word salad that is human speech but those on the spectrum are looking for some clear logical data transfer so can easily become frustrated. Thats my experience any way.

I am a language teacher and amateur language scientist, I want to create a theory of language that can benefit autism spectrum persons as well as those with other neurological conditions. Communication with the NT world can be difficult, and I would love to hear what problems you have had trying to deal with such problems. If you want to talk about it please contact me.