My 2.5 year old with autism who wears many layers of clothes

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

sresree
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jul 2016, 5:53 am

Hello,

My 2.5 year old boy on the spectrum has a new behaviour issue every now and then. From last couple of days he wants to wear many layers of clothes, whichever he finds. Yesterday night he wanted to sleep with 3 shirts and 3 pants on :(
Terrible tantrums if asked to remove any. Even when he goes out he wants to have all the clothes on. On top of all he will wear the clothes to go out :(..He will not let me wash his clothes. If allowed to wear all, he is the happiest in the whole world :)

We live in a tropical country and its hot here. People have trouble even wearing a single light layer.

Everyday bath, going to preschool, sleep time is horrible with hours of non stop crying because I ask him to undress :( (Its not that he dislikes bath or anything, he infact is very scared that I will not let him wear all the layers of clothes again) I am stuck and scared of him these days.

Any insights on how this can be managed?

Thanks & Regards
sresree

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 9:35 am

It sounds like maybe it is a pressure thing? Like maybe he likes the pressure of all the clothing. It could be a temperature preference too, but if it is very hot there, I am guessing pressure.

Does he like firm snuggles? Does he seem to act like he is cold without the layers? Answers to the those kind of questions might help isolate the specific issue.

If it is temperature I cannot imagine what to do b/c even if you wanted to make your own home like a sauna, the outside world is not going to adapt.

If it is pressure, then you can buy or make one of those pressure vests, and maybe that would work and you could substitute it for the layers.

For night, you can buy or make a weighted blanket.

For the bath, the only thing I can think of is a life vest, but you'd still have to clean his upper body before you put it on him.

sresree
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jul 2016, 3:37 am

Thank you. I will try your suggestions.

But he is bit confusing. he like tight hugs, but when tried to wrap in a blanket, he did not want it.

And last day he was sweating and struggling to sleep because it was so hot with so many layers on :)

I am doubting if he is just trying to prove his independence? Or it is a sensory issue, not sure.

He wants to select what to wear, he even wants a belt on, a cloth around his neck and what not these days.

One day he even wanted to wear my shirt. With some screaming and a lot of explanation he finally left it :)

Its cute to see look at him with so many clothes on, but real trouble when we have to go out or bath time or bed time :(

Very difficult to understand him and I constantly fear what next ! !

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 12:04 pm

Quote:
If it is pressure, then you can buy or make one of those pressure vests, and maybe that would work and you could substitute it for the layers.

For night, you can buy or make a weighted blanket.

I second these suggestions. You can also make or buy a small weighted lap blanket that he can bring along with him to help him when he needs to sit still.
For sleeping, use an air-conditioner so he can use a weighted blanket and not be too hot. I know it sounds weird to make the room cold just to use a heavy blanket, but if it helps him it's worth it. As a person who also appreciates weighted stuff, I can tell you that the pressure is very relaxing and soothes anxiety. Just make sure the blanket isn't TOO heavy - the idea is not to restrain/restrict the kid, just comfort him.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 4:16 pm

Maybe the layers kind of function as a super hero costume? With sensory issues, your son is then more comfortable leaning against things, sitting on things, the possibility of bumping his elbows, etc.

PS I'm not a parent. But I am an individual most probably on the Spectrum who has sensory issues (I'm comfortably self-diagnosed)

sagerchatter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jul 2016, 11:19 pm

sresree wrote:
Very difficult to understand him and I constantly fear what next ! !

I can sympathize! This is my personal experience, (which clearly is only relevant to me but sometimes others can relate), that thankfully my son abandons one (exasperating*) routine before he adopts another. Yes, I often want to scream "if it's not one thing, it's another with you!". But I try to remind myself that everything (appears to be) is a phase, including phases. Of course, with the high-paced mind, the presence of intense interests is not itself a phase! :lol: Sorry I don't have anything more concrete to add. Oddly, my son has never been bother or concerned with clothing. I guess he has too many other things to occupy his mind!

*It's just a fact, not an indictment, that it's exasperating. But I keep in mind that he's not *trying* to be exasperating, that it fulfills something inside him, and try to indulge it within realistic terms. It sounds as if that's what you are trying to do.

kgrimes87
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2023, 10:58 am

i know this is old but my 3 year old has started doing the same exact thing. what did you find to help?