Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 7:27 pm

I'm not like other people. Many things other people understand I do not, and many things I understand others do not.

I decided to upgrade from my Obamaphone to a smartphone, and I picked Boost, along with a ZTE Warp Elite. I didn't have the money to activate it at the time, but I'd like to at least get my hands on it. There was a really good deal, so it was tempting, and I got it. When I tried to activate it, it said it needed me to verify my SIM card number, and this is where the problems started.

On the ZTE Warp Elite, taking out the SIM card to look at it is very tricky, because you have to get this weird metal contraption to remove the tray. Of course, already, as someone with ADHD and poor fine motor coordination, and a brain that is crap at stuff like this, there were going to be problems.

I got the SIM card out, but didn't know how to get it back in, as nothing in the instructions talked about it. I tried different stuff, and went with dropping the SIM card out; maybe you put the tray in after the SIM card. Well, the SIM card went in, but the tray would not go in after it. I couldn't get the SIM card back out. I went to the store and they said I would have to buy a new phone.

I tried some other stuff, but damaged the phone in the process. Already miserable at this situation, and the phone reminding me of my screw-up (so I didn't even want to use it for anything anymore), I destroyed it, burning my hand in the process.

I've learned my lesson from this: Don't do anything that is physically tricky. You need to be able to work with your phone on your own. Otherwise, don't get such a phone. I'm not getting another ZTE Warp Elite, and I'm not going with Boost.

Of course, they will not give a refund, because I'm probably the only person in the world who has had this problem. That is the downside of being not like other people: You get no understanding.

Rundownshoe14
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jul 2016, 9:01 pm

This is the type of things the frustrates me a lot.And even worse when people just say calm down and not getting that you're frustrated.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 11:05 pm

We've had fits over damn cell phones. Don't feel bad that this happened. Too bad about your lost money, but please don't feel bad. Or at least, don't feel so alone. Those SIM cards and things... I absolutely need support from a vendor or phone support.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 1:20 am

Still, I feel like crap over the loss. That was a good deal, except for that stupid SIM card tray. Why do they have to make things so difficult for people like me to work with?

I'm checking other phones, and their specs just aren't as good, for even the same price. Also, I want one with an LED display; IMO, there is no more reason to make LCD cell phones. LED's are environmentally friendly, don't have glare, and use much less energy. It might be several months before I see anything like that that isn't the ZTE Warp Elite.

But I guess I just need to readjust my expectations download--I will not have a smartphone anytime soon--and have patience. Still, having to wait makes me feel depressed. But I guess I have no choice but to tough it out.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 1:47 am

Aside from the smart phone debacle, how have things been going? I haven't seen a post from you in a while.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 1:51 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Aside from the smart phone debacle, how have things been going? I haven't seen a post from you in a while.

They've been stable, though I started having problems last week with vertigo, tinnitus, and times when one of my ears feels full (which adds like another "layer" of tinnitus whenever it happens). An ENT last year thought I might have Meniere's disease, but the symptoms went away; now that the symptoms have returned, I'm wanting to go back to the doctor. This weekend was rough, but the symptoms have gone down. Now I've been having problems being tired.

Back to the smartphone thing, I was listening to music but it's hard to, because it was so much better on the phone with the headphones on.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 Jul 2016, 1:57 am

I did something similar(maybe exactly the same) with my iPhone when I got it, just jammed the sim card in there without knowing what I was doing without the tray. Had a bit of a meltdown over it to say the least. The store should of been able to get it out tho as they did with mine, they had some little tool or something to do it so I don't think you should of had to get a new phone. In the future I'm not even going to try with that little tray, just going to bring it into the store and have them do it. Boost is not known for being a good carrier, they might of been ripping you off. Hopefully this doesn't upset you any more, I'm sorry this happened.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 2:18 am

Thanks for the update Beneficii, and I hope your health improves soon.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 2:43 am

Jacoby wrote:
I did something similar(maybe exactly the same) with my iPhone when I got it, just jammed the sim card in there without knowing what I was doing without the tray. Had a bit of a meltdown over it to say the least. The store should of been able to get it out tho as they did with mine, they had some little tool or something to do it so I don't think you should of had to get a new phone. In the future I'm not even going to try with that little tray, just going to bring it into the store and have them do it. Boost is not known for being a good carrier, they might of been ripping you off. Hopefully this doesn't upset you any more, I'm sorry this happened.

Amen to that.

Actually, with the iPhone, the Apple Store techs will sometimes use a paper clip to pop the sim tray. The tray is keyed so that the sim will fit only in one direction.

As for Boost Mobile, you're right on the money with that comment. First, they buy their voice and network airtime from Sprint. Second, all their customer care and tech support are located off shore, and communication with them is even worse than 2 aspies trying to talk to each other. :oops: when it takes almost 2 weeks to resolve a Trojan horse issue on a Motorola moto-e handset, that's pretty pathetic. Third, Android has a pretty long learning curve. I've found out that Google pulls the same stunt as Microsoft does with Windows and the PC manufacturer's: they sell a license to the phone manufacturer, then the manufacturer customizes Android for each model phone they sell. I don't know about you, but that's enough to drive me bonkers!

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 3:48 am

Problem though is that all those phones are expensive, or they want you to get an LCD phone. It looks like this market just isn't going to be for me for some time.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 9:19 am

Hi beneficii. Sorry for butting in, but can I offer a suggestion (that's easier for me but possibly harder for you)?

What about reassessing your decision made in frustration and anger?

You spent time finding the right phone....and then it disappointed (I've got clumsiness issues myself).

Why not make sure, as Jacoby did, that someone else, who knows the "trick" of the SIM card, does this for you or shows you in a detailed manner how the thing works. (Just fried our own wireless home phone myself :oops: ).

I think if you can overcome your original anger and reluctance to put up with any B.S. THEN YOU'LL HAVE THE PHONE YOU REALLY WANT and you'll be stronger. :D :D :D :D

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 10:15 am

But ZenDen, he has already destroyed it, so now he would have to buy another.

Speaking for myself, I have a cheap little flip phone and I'm happy with that for the time being. My spouse is always cursing his smart phone and spends inordinate time getting it to do things it did fine the week before.

We're both elderly and we joke constantly about how our smart phone, smart tv, even smart car, are smarter than we are!

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 11:50 am

BeaArthur wrote:

Speaking for myself, I have a cheap little flip phone and I'm happy with that for the time being. My spouse is always cursing his smart phone and spends inordinate time getting it to do things it did fine the week before.

We're both elderly and we joke constantly about how our smart phone, smart tv, even smart car, are smarter than we are!

You said: But ZenDen, he has already destroyed it, so now he would have to buy another.

So now, looking for a replacement, he finds them all inferior to his first choice. He can have his first choice if he wishes. The cost of the new phone is the cost of education.

You said: We're both elderly.... How do you become elderly? Walk slower or forget things??? I did those things when I was much younger, so don't have much time for them now. :D

And you said: we joke constantly about how our smart phone, smart tv, even smart car, are smarter than we are! That may be true, but YOU'RE still the boss of them...don't ever let them forget it.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 1:13 pm

ZenDen wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

You said: But ZenDen, he has already destroyed it, so now he would have to buy another.

So now, looking for a replacement, he finds them all inferior to his first choice. He can have his first choice if he wishes. The cost of the new phone is the cost of education.

You said: We're both elderly.... How do you become elderly? Walk slower or forget things??? I did those things when I was much younger, so don't have much time for them now. :D

And you said: we joke constantly about how our smart phone, smart tv, even smart car, are smarter than we are! That may be true, but YOU'RE still the boss of them...don't ever let them forget it.

Yeah, I'm going with this. After having slept on it last night (and I slept good!), I'm going with this. I will just assume that the suggested SIM card number they give matches that in the phone. If it's wrong, I'll work to correct it. No more SIM card bloopers. :)

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 3:55 pm

I ordered another one, this time off of Amazon (Boost is out of stock), and it will ship directly to my house tomorrow.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 4:24 pm

The only advice I would leave, here, is not to give the thing any credit card information.

Then, there should be no obvious function, which you could perform, to irretrievably ruin it.

I can think of interesting things to do with an iPad, but would prefer not to have phone service.

A family member has given me an Obamaphone, knowing full well that this was against my political views, in case of an emergency.

It doesn't get reception, when I am well away from civilization, and none of the people in my life know how to act, during an emergency.

It doesn't hold a charge, for more than a day, feels like I have to be constantly plugged-in, on call, and never far away from all the people I would like to get away from. I am the only one I know, who can operate it with perfect, unflinching discipline, and the only one I know, who calls it a leash.