Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2016, 4:45 pm

I need money!

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2016, 11:19 pm

Well what do you have to offer to employers?

(Don't worry...I'm not a jerk like that, but I imagine someone will say this to you, as if every person who has a job obtained it on merit rather than connections and luck).

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 8:33 am

LookWhoItIs wrote:

(Don't worry...I'm not a jerk like that, but I imagine someone will say this to you, as if every person who has a job obtained it on merit rather than connections and luck).

Oh yeah, "it's not about what you know, it's about who you know."

I've had three jobs as an adult, the first one I got tipped into a hard to fill position by my friend's dad. And the last two were from the same guy (I met through my first job) who thinks my attention to detail is valuable.
My education and experience had next to nothing to do with the first two jobs (though did influence the last one).

I'll spare you the boring lecture on 'networking', but, personal connections are where it's at, sadly enough.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 7:45 pm

neptunekh wrote:
I need money!

What are your skills and desires?

Education level? Region?

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 10:11 pm

I think you can just look through the internet and look for a list of hard skills and use the process of elimination to highlight the skills you might have, for me as an example:

Hard Skills: Basic programming, Numeracy, knowledge of various hobbies (3d modelling, architecture, Autodesk), moderate knowledge of Microsoft Office suite

But is also important to have your cv relate to the job when quoting your skills. I once got feedback from a cleaning job saying, "wouldn't you be best suited in an office or it-related discipline?, sadly to say therefore we cannot proceed with your application any further". The thing with employers these days is they don't get that I cannot go into most of these jobs due to unwilling to relocate to another country, no degree, no driving licence, lack of soft skills.

So, I have just 4 meaningful skills to speak of, no degree, cannot travel more than 10 miles away and live near a major city.

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2016, 10:18 am

MissDorkness wrote:
LookWhoItIs wrote:

Oh yeah, "it's not about what you know, it's about who you know."

I've had three jobs as an adult, the first one I got tipped into a hard to fill position by my friend's dad. And the last two were from the same guy (I met through my first job) who thinks my attention to detail is valuable.
My education and experience had next to nothing to do with the first two jobs (though did influence the last one).

I'll spare you the boring lecture on 'networking', but, personal connections are where it's at, sadly enough.

I'm sure some people get their jobs based on "what they know," but they're the exception rather than the rule. They should count themselves lucky rather than acting high and mighty towards those not so lucky.

spinelli
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jul 2016, 6:54 pm

It's who you know and sometimes who you.......

NTs are more interested in your social skills.