How to gently bring a conversation to an end?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

somebody300
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2016, 6:13 am

How to bring a conversation to an end, without making another person think that you're not interested in who they are?
Let's say you want to talk to that person later (in a few days), but don't have enough time to go on with the conversation right now for one reason or another. How to then politely end a conversation, and send off a signal that you would be very interested in talking to that person later (say, in a few days)?

wbport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2016, 6:34 am

How about "I'd like to hear more about it but I don't have the time now." ?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 9:50 am

"I hate to tell you but I have to run just now, but I'd love to catch up with you again later and really talk about this, can we get together sometime soon?"

"Sorry Robert, I have to get going, but can we meet up again soon? Is it alright to call you/e-mail/see you here next week about the same time?"

"I have to let you go just now but I've really enjoyed this chat, can we speak more next time? I really want to hear more about this."

"Thank you so much for this chat -- I have to go right about now, I'm so sorry! But, I want to hear more about this, can I take a raincheck and catch you soon?"

Always include:

1) An acknowledgment that you have really enjoyed this talk.

2) Information that you have to rush away just now.

3) But an acknowledgement that you want more of this/another talk, soon, and try to "book" that happening even if only loosely, like mentioning that you want that future talk to hear more.