Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 8:46 pm

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 8:46 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I'm not sure if this is in any way autism related, but does anyone here experience anxiety related peripheral hallucinations e.g. seeing cats that aren't there?

emphatic yes. i've never even had a cat, but when i'm tired (or under certain specific circumstances), i'll often see black cats running away, and fruit flies around me or on the wall when there aren't any

i think it falls under the general category of neural overstimulation, and it's probably related to this in my case:
viewtopic.php?t=309228#p7218387

it's part of why i was (questionably, but still plausibly) diagnosed with schizotypal disorder once

edit: btw, yep, also psychedelic visuals when i close my eyes (or sometimes even without closing them...), and sparkly static in the air and stuff

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 8:48 pm

Did you draw these, Raleigh?

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 8:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Did you draw these, Raleigh?

Nope, Google images cause I have most of these on my computer now.

MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jul 2016, 8:53 pm

Greetings. Kinda joining in late here. But lately, I do keep seeing and hearing cats. It's weird. Like, my cats wear bells on them (came with the collar), and last night when they were locked in the basement, I kept hearing the bells going off outside of my door, when I'm 110% sure they were trapped down there. I keep seeing the cats in the corner of my eyes and they weren't there actually, so... I am unsure.

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 9:00 pm

anagram wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
I'm not sure if this is in any way autism related, but does anyone here experience anxiety related peripheral hallucinations e.g. seeing cats that aren't there?

emphatic yes. i've never even had a cat, but when i'm tired (or under certain specific circumstances), i'll often see black cats running away, and fruit flies around me or on the wall when there aren't any

i think it falls under the general category of neural overstimulation, and it's probably related to this in my case:
viewtopic.php?t=309228#p7218387

it's part of why i was (questionably, but still plausibly) diagnosed with schizotypal disorder once

edit: btw, yep, also psychedelic visuals when i close my eyes (or sometimes even without closing them...), and sparkly static in the air and stuff

Thanks.
The neural overstimulation theory makes a lot of sense.
I also experience auditory hallucinations at times.
They always seem to be stress/anxiety related and following a major change in routine, etc.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 9:03 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Thanks.
The neural overstimulation theory makes a lot of sense.
I also experience auditory hallucinations at times.
They always seem to be stress/anxiety related and following a major change in routine, etc.

yes. it's the same for me

you started on a new job just a few days ago, right? taking that into account, and that your nervous system is probably significantly more sensitive than average, i'd say that's a "normal" symptom to have. try to get some rest and relax if you can, but if that's not an option, then just remember it's nothing to be concerned about

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 9:10 pm

^ Yes, yes, I agree.

It's (5) Nothing to be concerned about.

All normal here.
I'll just continue to be the normal, weird person that everyone is nice to because they're secretly afraid I might murder them. :P

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 9:12 pm

...Remember this old Time-Life?? Reader's Digest?? book whose ad showed two painting of a cat by the same artist , one fairly normal , the other , sorta weird , that " illustrated how he went insane " ? :mrgreen: 8O :wink:

kraftiekortie wrote:
More abstract.

But I like your image.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 9:14 pm

another funny one. happened about a couple of months ago: one day i was simply walking my way back from the grocery store, and i noticed that everybody around me seemed to be speaking in english, and i also noticed some signs written in arabic. nobody speaks either of those languages around here, and you barely ever see any foreigners at all. i thought to myself "well that's new!.." :lol:

i wasn't just under stress. i was under emotional stress. it's the worst kind for my brain

Last edited by anagram on 23 Jul 2016, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 9:15 pm

...When I was young , I'd close my eyes and see stars and galaxies rushing past me...(A metaphor for the wonder of childhood now gone :cry: ?)

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 9:18 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...Remember this old Time-Life?? Reader's Digest?? book whose ad showed two painting of a cat by the same artist , one fairly normal , the other , sorta weird , that " illustrated how he went insane " ? :mrgreen: 8O :wink:

that's a classic one. it's pretty cool. "the mad cat artist". people probably study his case in medical school

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 9:24 pm

on a related note, i do notice that my musical taste can go from something like this when i'm relaxed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azrKHpCwvm0

...to something like this when i'm under stress and sleep-deprived:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiSwqHXIotA

i know it's not a sign that i'm going insane though ;)

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 9:37 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
Why does this happen?

I have several theories:

(1) I'm batshit crazy.
(2) Anxiety has made me hyper-vigilant to the point where I'm imagining things and jumping at shadows.
(3) Some kind of pressure in the eye which causes spots to appear in the corners, which my brain then translates into cats.
(4) My cat is gaslighting me and possibly plotting my death.

I'm thinking it's most likely (2) but I wouldn't rule out (4).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I know now you feel, I too have hallucinations from time to time. I would say that for both of us the cause is (2).

Thanks, Austin.
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this.
It's a bit freaky, isn't it?
I'm a bit freaked out.

I'm thinking maybe I should have done a poll for this and had people vote.

They freaked me out at first too, but the shadow people mean no harm.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 10:29 pm

^ I'm glad I'm only seeing shadow cats.
Seeing shadow people would be on a whole different level entirely.
Seeing real people freaks me out enough :D