Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2016, 1:25 pm

Define God ? In my perspective, the "First Cause" or "Origin". Sentience, supernatural or being "outside" are just facultative properties made because people like the idea.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 1:31 pm

MissAlgernon wrote:
Define God ? In my perspective, the "First Cause" or "Origin". Sentience, supernatural or being "outside" are just facultative properties made because people like the idea.

i think it's more than that. because first cause / origin implies something punctual, without continuity. god doesn't necessarily have to be infinite in time or space or any imaginary dimension, but i think continuity actually is something denoted by the word

unless you mean it also extends to all that derives from the original cause

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2016, 4:12 pm

God would be more than that only in traditional theism. We tend to "christianize" our definition of God too much.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 4:44 pm

but then again a word has to have some widely accepted meaning. or else it's just gobbledygook

which, yes, i think would be a valid argument against the very use of the word "god" to mean anything in particular or anything at all. take the words "love" and "empathy" for instance. they're similar cases

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2016, 4:55 pm

If you want an universal definition, yo've got to reduce it as much as possible. For example, if God is the creator, nothing forces the creator to be present "after" the First Cause.
There is also an unsolvable contradiction between some Pagan definitions and Abrahamic definitions. Greek gods are fundamentally different in nature from the Christian God. Add the Pantheist God definition and there are at least 3 fundamentally different entities that can be called "God", and trying to merge them means unsolvable definition conflicts. The Abrahamic definition is just the traditional one, but that doesn't mean that it should be THE definition because it's currently the most popular one.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 5:12 pm

yes, but i still think that continuity (be it finite or infinite) coupled with either sentience or intent are features shared by all of those notions of what a god is. there has to be some humanly relatable feature. creation / beginning is an event instead. it's more akin to an action than it is to an agent or observer

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2016, 5:21 pm

Not necessarily. A "human" definition of God is pretty recent. It doesn't fit some Pagan definitions and it definitely doesn't fit the Pantheist definition other than "humans are part of God". God doesn't even have to be personal or sentient the way sentience is the most commonly defined.
My personal definition of God doesn't include these criteria at all (I'm a Pantheist), and I personally have a very inclusive definition of sentience.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 5:38 pm

that's where that quote i posted comes in: "then why call it god?". sure, you can if you want. but then what meaning does it have?

also, if you're part of god, then that means god has continuity. okay, maybe not sentience or intent. but continuity is a fundamental feature of the concept in any of its possible forms. or else it devolves into something completely redundant, and then there's not even a point in having a separate word for it

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2016, 5:50 pm

I can return the question : you can consider that you have the right definition of God and that mine is wrong, or I can consider that my definition of God is right and that yours is wrong. In the end, all personal definitions of God are equally valid, no matter how mutually incompatible they are.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 5:51 pm

which is precisely my definition of iusdfwrfdwa :)

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 5:53 pm

anagram wrote:
which is precisely my definition of iusdfwrfdwa :)

Likewise, unproven.

Why spend any more time on this when I gave the only legitimate answer on the first page? :P

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 5:56 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Why spend any more time on this when I gave the only legitimate answer on the first page? :P

one word:

procrastination

:)

or, more verbosely, "this is more fun than work". but no, i don't believe anyone ever convinces anybody else of anything in any of these kinds of debates. there are no answers to be found in philosophy. it's not what it's meant for (i know someone will disagree. well, try me :mrgreen:)

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 6:07 pm

anagram wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

one word:

procrastination

:)

or, more verbosely, "this is more fun than work". but no, i don't believe anyone ever convinces anybody else of anything in any of these kinds of debates

You'll get no argument from me on either point. This one truly has been done to death though. I've lost interest in the question, having reached an unsatisfactory yet inevitable conclusion.

More relevant, in my view, is the discussion regarding the benefits and harms of ideologies based on the concept of a perfect divine being. But that one might be somewhat less enjoyable. :lol:

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 6:09 pm

adifferentname wrote:
More relevant, in my view, is the discussion regarding the benefits and harms of ideologies based on the concept of a perfect divine being. But that one might be somewhat less enjoyable. :lol:

it's not like there's any shortage of that debate already going on everywhere anyway, right?..

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 6:22 pm

I am surprised no one went to the source of the most accurate and most succinct definition of God. Jesus is quoted as saying "God is a spirit." Some within Judaism describe God similarly. Simple. More people should consider the ramifications. But, this simple description is too often missed by others.

And, not only have many atheists talked mistakenly about an "old man with a white beard floating in the clouds, and playing a harp" got it wrong, so too, have many theists of a variety of faiths done so, too.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 6:28 pm

okay, i'll bite

AspieUtah wrote:
Jesus is quoted as saying

not the most unbiased source, you'll have to admit. and, as i understand it, an unbiased definition is the intended subject of this thread

Quote:
"God is a spirit."

define "spirit"

:D