Page 5 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2016, 6:58 pm

We discussed it tonight and it turned out its been bothering him aswell. He is pretty traditional and wanted to plan a special proposal.

We have decided to stay engaged but he wants to do like a redo proposal. He said that the reason he rushed was because he suddenly panicked that I wouldn't wait (which is stupid).

Thank you everyone for your support and advice its been really helpful. I spose part of me really wanted to be proposed to abroad because I know we can't have the wedding abroad (his father won't fly).

It's been such a hectic year 8O

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2016, 7:00 pm

saxgeek wrote:
Venice is a trashy city. I wouldn't even want to propose there.

I find it had a unique charm to it. I love the bands on st marks square and the beautiful buildings

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2016, 7:01 pm

He doesn't want to lose you, Alliekit!

And....Venice is not a trashy city! To go on a gondolier is expensive, though.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2016, 7:05 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
He doesn't want to lose you, Alliekit!

And....Venice is not a trashy city! To go on a gondolier is expensive, though.

That's what I don't get, he was never in danger of losing me. I don't understand why he panicked and rushed -___-

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2016, 7:07 pm

Because that's the way guys are. That's all I can say LOL

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2016, 7:15 pm

People are very deceptive and unpredictable. I've heard many stories of people who were engaged to someone, then they broke up days before the wedding was planned. It would be hard for me to trust someone I loved to not break up with me. I guess it's natural for him to be nervous about not losing you.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2016, 2:56 pm

I'm glad to hear he was feeling the same way, you talked, and he wants to do a re-do! That's great; I think this will be lovely. I like that you both really want the same thing regarding this.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2016, 3:54 pm

People put so much pressure on themselves for mere symbolism.

Almost as if they treat it as a bad omen, if it doesn't go to plan.

Ok it is a nice gesture, but the intent and thought was still there.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2016, 5:24 pm

For the good or the bad of it, symbolism has always been meaningful to human beings in their milestones in life. People do care about such things because it's pretty much part of the human psyche to want to "mark" turning points.

That marking has become commercialized, seized upon by the modern corporate world and exploited. But even if you want to reject that commercialization, you can't stop the human desire to try to mark out a moment, a decision, a change in life, as special and memorable.

Most of everyone's lives are mundane. Things are the same from day to day. It's not surprising that many people are drawn to trying to make SOMETHING special, SOMETIMES, particularly when it's a life decision that's not supposed to come around numerous times.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to make a turning point like this a bit more special than just a chat and an agreement.

That's fine if two people really are into just a chat and an agreement. it's not fine for people who wanted it marked out more and didn't get to do that.