Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

John 35 Alabama
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Aug 2016, 12:51 am

Please help with these tough questions and provide your answers as best you can. I'm trying to find a job and it's incredibly tough, especially when it gets to the "Were you ever terminated?"

1: Why should I hire you?

2: Why do you want to work here?

3: How would you describe yourself?

4: Have you ever been laid off, terminated, or "let go" from a job before?

5: If so, could you tell us about that?

6: If not, tell us why you left your last job.

7: Why aren't you smiling?

8: What do you do for fun?

plootark
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2016, 4:37 am

It's hard to be detailed without really knowing you.

You can say whatever you want, but you need to back up what you say. So just saying "I have magical powers" won't cut it, you would have to describe a situation where you cast a spell that brought someone back to life. So think about stuff you have done that is good and write down a list. Then say stuff like "I am creative, in my last job there was this situation where it all went wrong and I had this great idea that made it all good."

You can bend the truth a little, just give examples to sound convincing. Preparation is key here.

I love working with ...... and I really want to improve my skills at .....

I am awesome. (don't be afraid to big yourself up. Be a bit cheeky here. They know you are trying to sell yourself. Deprecating self analysis should be saved for your therapist.) Keen to learn and always improving myself.

Yes.

I went through a bad patch a while ago and had a few problems. School of hard knocks, I've been through it all! Here is what I learned from it, this is how I pulled myself up again and this is what I do to prevent it from happening again.

I am eager for new challenges. My last job was awesome and I learned a lot, but it is time to move on. Plus I want a pay increase and extra responsibilities.. Never slag off your previous job. You are a master of your own destiny, not a victim of circumstances.

They won't ask this. If they do, "I am in a job interview. I feel a little under pressure because I really want this job."

Depends on what you do for fun. Come up with two things and think about it beforehand so you can talk about it.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 8:38 am

I have the skills required for the job (talk about the skills here), I am hard working and I learn fast.
You also get 80% of minimal wage back from the goverment every month I am hired because of my disability.
But worry not!
It's just Asperger Syndrome, a high functioning autism. It make it hard for me to make friends and deal with noisy environments but it comes with a lot of gifts, such as high intelligence and attendance to detail which will prove useful in this job, while my weak points like poor body language reading are not that important in this field. I don't apply jobs I am not considering capable of doing.
So hiring me is beneficial to you.

Because I think I am a good fit for that job, like I mentioned earlier. I want a job that enables me to use my skills - and this one does. I also like being useful. and I want to test myself and broaden my limits. And of course I need money, like anybody else. <smile>

I am smart, hard working, have great memory and I am a great problem solver. However I am not very good with dealing with people and I need calm, not noisy environment to work in my fullest.

The only thing that comes to my mind was when I resigned from a job due to too much stress. They wanted me to be in charge of phone calls and it just isn't something I feel comfortable with.

I already did.

I already told you.

But I am smiling. <smile> What made you think I am not? Is my smile weird?

Does it matter? Well...

I like watching anime and browsing internet, learning random stuff. I like using internet forums, explaining stuff people don't understand, answering questions... For example yesterday I answered to some kid why his dog is behaving badly and how he should deal with it and I corrected some kids mistake that "people head, brew and cheek are body parts that cannot be broken". Anything that contains bones can be broken... I don't get where he got the theory from but other kids seemed to believe him so I had to fix their false belief. I also solved a math problem for another kid, explaining all steps.

You give me any question - I will think of it and come with an answer and if I don't have enough info I will use the internet to broaden my knowledge, doing my research and then explain it to you. It's what I like doing with my free time.

English isn't my mother language so there might be mistakes. And the disability benefits in your country might be different than 80% minimal wage per month return.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 10:00 am

Mention skills related to the job. How I am dependable and my strong attention to detail.

This is usually a tailored response toward that particular company’s motto and history. Possibly how the company can help with my long term goals.

That I am honest, hard worker. I enjoy opportunities to learn and improve on skills.

Yes… I immediately tell them, “I was terminated after using paid personal time when my grandpa was spending his final days in the hospital.” While handing them a copy of my states unemployment adjudication notice; stating “discharged for absenteeism due to circumstances beyond the claimant’s control” and “discharge was for reason other than misconduct.”

If asked, I may mention a little more details about that week. But I would quickly move onto how it was a learning experience and not dwell on it… I assume to be straight forward and give them a quick explanation and supporting documents. I feel it shows I am not hiding anything and I moved on.

I don’t think this question would ever be asked, seems unprofessional... Just be sure to smile during handshakes and laugh with others.

Tell them I enjoy cycling, great stress reliever. I enjoy traveling and classic cars. Bit of a scotch and cigar enthusiast (sometimes make a connection here).