I need to tell my boss about my AS

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 2:00 pm

hi,

I work on an office & warehouse for a long time My AS was not a problem as I would do most of my work in the warehouse the office task's done by one of the partners in the office he has now left and I am not upset about that he was a bit of a bully, he would see I was overloaded with tasks and when things went wrong he would treat me like I was stupid insisting I work in a very NT way by the time he left I was so confused and my self esteem was so low I was beginning believe I was stupid.

Since he has left I now have to more of the administration in the office and our MD expects me to fulfil a PA role. He is a gentleman for whom I have worked on and off for many years and for I have some respect (I don't know anyone else who could get me to phone the town hall about council tax). These tasks are far from my usual technical tasks and usually involve the taking of instructions by phone or SMS of course I occasionally get these wrong, we both find it frustrating. I will also respond to a query or a phone call that to my perspective requires simple resolution to find that this action is wrong e.g. I faxed an insurance certificate to one of our contractors who requested it.

He can be quite considerate and arrange my tasks so I need only deal with one at a time but when we are very busy and against a deadline things can get fraught. Recently he had occasion to ball me out requesting me to start and the stop several tasks requesting I defier one exhibiting a knowledge of how my mind works and balling me out for getting it wrong using the phrase "its not rocket science!" I believe he does not know how bullying and offensive this is.

I need to tell him and nip this in the bud before a patten of bullying gets established.
When: as soon as possible
How: Should I write a paper letter? an email? or speak privatly in the morning?
What should I say:

If it becomes heated I might get out the words "Aspergers syndrome Google it!" but this is something I would prefer to avoid. I have tried to broach the subject quietly before but each time my attempt has been deflected.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 2:30 pm

I had a similar problem after starting a new job and things going downhill fast. I emailed my boss one evening apologising for my poor comunication, explaining this was due to AS and giving a short list of main issues (eye contact etc) and a link to wikipedia. I also said that although I wanted to stay in the job I would understand if he wanted me to leave.
I got a reply saying that he was very happy with my work and wanted me to stay but it was important that I told him about the AS and how he could help. He has been very patient since and things are much better, this may actually be the first job I can keep for any length of time (it is the first time I ever told anyone).
One thing I didn`t bank on but which has turned out okay, was that he told most of the other people that work here too, so for a few days I got varying reactions such as fear, embarassment etc from co-workers. Everyone is okay now though, they don`t make fun of me or give me a hard time for not being social.
Good luck, I hope it turns out okay!

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

giaam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2007, 3:24 pm

I recently told a one of my many 'bosses' (I'm a Prison Officer, so I spoke to the governor in charge of the psychologists) She was great, she said that prior to me talking to her, I had passed all the exams and interviews fairly, and few people would guess at a glance about my condition anyway, (I'm frequently refered to as just weird and eccentric). I am currently in an admin/management role where I pretty much am left alone anyway.
I would suggest writing a paper letter explaning the condition, highlighting any positive aspects, showing that it is your approach to the work that is different, not the the quality/efficiency of your work. Give it to your boss to read it, and be prepeared to discuss it later. Have you had any contact with the National Autistic Society, as you're in London? They are good for advice, support and advocacy.
Good luck :wink:

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 5:18 pm

As you're in London, it might be worth taking advantage of the employment support organisations available - they can help with just this kind of situation.

NAS run an organisation called prospects.

Richmond Fellowship have an employment support programme (they have really helped me)

Also, scope have a scheme too - I think it is called 'workstep'

They can give you the ongoing support and training you need and also can speak to your manager for you if you want them to. They can also advise you as to what to say with your Manager and how to deal with stressful situations.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 5:21 pm

As you're in London, it might be worth taking advantage of the employment support organisations available - they can help with just this kind of situation.

NAS run an organisation called prospects.

Richmond Fellowship have an employment support programme (they have really helped me)

Also, scope have a scheme too - I think it is called 'workstep'

They can give you the ongoing support and training you need and also can speak to your manager for you if you want them to. They can also advise you as to what to say with your Manager and how to deal with stressful situations.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 5:25 pm

aaaargh - sorry to do that 3 times - my browser kept crashing and now I can't delete the superfluous posts. If someone could tell me how to do this I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 11:41 pm

girl7000,

Thanks, don't worry about the multiple posts. :)

giaam,

thank you :) - my work collogues put it down to too many drugs. :(

alexbeetle

Thank you

All

I have had no contact with NAS it is a condition that I have been very much in denial and until now has had little effect upon my work.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 2:45 pm

Well i spoke to him today and I still have my job <G>
As i did say he is understanding and very clever for a NT He just did not seem to understand the autism bit though.

Perhaps he will figure it out then I will be impressed.

Ryebot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 May 2007, 4:03 pm

hey i work in a warehouse too. i'm just a peon, though.