Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 1:08 am

i'm no philosopher but it said I was 91% Nietzsche, 79% existentialist, 48% Aristotelian, 34% strict rationalist, 0% kant. There is no provable absolute truth. At the bottom of every philosophy there is some inspired assumption which the philosopher defends with reasons they have sought after the fact. There is no rational principle behind our world. The most noble goal in life is to create art. To live well is to be art. If life is a dream, "I will dream on!"

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 1:33 am

83% Immanuel Kant (although I'm a nihilist).

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 5:29 pm

81% Epicurus
39% Confucius
38% Seneca
35% Buddha
34% Aristotle
30% Lao Tzu
27% Plato

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 7:52 pm

Which philosopher are you?
Your Result: Aristotle

92%

Truth does not exist in some transcendent realm. We get to truth by applying reason to the physical world. The world follows logic and commonsense. Science if done properly is not to far from philosophy. --This quiz was made by S. A-Lerer.

81%
Immanuel Kant

65%
Early Wittgenstein / Positivists

55%
Plato (strict rationalists)

20%
Sartre/Camus (late existentialists)

8%
Nietzsche

0%
W.v.O. Quine / Late Wittgenstein

Some of the questions didn't offer what I consider satisfying answers however.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 6:51 am

Nietzsche. Not surprised in the least. I'm an existentialist and have read some of his works. While we have some disagreements, I relate to him strongly.

Quote:
Which philosopher are you?
Your Result: Nietzsche

90%
There is no provable absolute truth. At the bottom of every philosophy there is some inspired assumption which the philosopher defends with reasons they have sought after the fact. There is no rational principle behind our world. The most noble goal in life is to create art. To live well is to be art. If life is a dream, "I will dream on!" --This quiz was made by S. A-Lerer.

84%Sartre/Camus (late existentialists)

28%W.v.O. Quine / Late Wittgenstein

28%Plato (strict rationalists)

20%Early Wittgenstein / Positivists

20%Aristotle

7%Immanuel Kant

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 10:14 am

86% Aristotle,88% Lao Tzu.

Charlie1011
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2016, 6:59 pm

Your Result: Early Wittgenstein / Positivists 93%

The ambiguity of language is the cause for most (if not all) philosophical problems. If we could get a purely objective language all philosophical problems would be solved. Q.E.D. --This quiz was made by S. A-Lerer.

W.v.O. Quine / Late Wittgenstein 92%

Sartre/Camus (late existentialists) 72%

seems about right with Wittgenstein.
Right, I've solved the problem now I'm going to build something. Oh wait I've left something out, back to the drawing board :study:

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 8:51 pm

Quote:
Your Result: 88% Nietzsche

There is no provable absolute truth. At the bottom of every philosophy there is some inspired assumption which the philosopher defends with reasons they have sought after the fact. There is no rational principle behind our world. The most noble goal in life is to create art. To live well is to be art. If life is a dream, "I will dream on!" --This quiz was made by S. A-Lerer.

79% Sartre/Camus (late existentialists)
64% W.v.O. Quine / Late Wittgenstein
34% Plato (strict rationalists)
34% Aristotle
26% Early Wittgenstein / Positivists
21% Immanuel Kant

Not surprised

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 4:37 pm

Your Result: Aristotle

83%
Truth does not exist in some transcendent realm. We get to truth by applying reason to the physical world. The world follows logic and commonsense. Science if done properly is not to far from philosophy. --This quiz was made by S. A-Lerer.

57%Early Wittgenstein / Positivists

47%Immanuel Kant

37%Sartre/Camus (late existentialists)

29%Plato (strict rationalists)

26%Nietzsche

20%W.v.O. Quine / Late Wittgenstein

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2020, 3:07 pm

Your Result: Early Wittgenstein / Positivists

85%

The ambiguity of language is the cause for most (if not all) philosophical problems. If we could get a purely objective language all philosophical problems would be solved. Q.E.D. --This quiz was made by S. A-Lerer.

74%
Sartre/Camus (late existentialists)

53%
Nietzsche

47%
Aristotle

45%
Immanuel Kant

45%
W.v.O. Quine / Late Wittgenstein

0%
Plato (strict rationalists)

Not surprised by these results. It was annoying that some of the questions had answers that weren't mutually exclusive.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2020, 6:39 pm

Your Result: Epicurus

74%

Greek philosopher and founder of Epicureanism. Lived 340-270 B.C. He founded a philosophical school in Mitilíni about 311, and two or three years later he became head of a school in Lampsacus. Returning to Athens in 306, he settled there permanently and taught his doctrines to a devoted body of followers. He was a great author, but only a few of his writings remain today. His philosophy was largely based on pleasure which was defined as freedom from pain and disturbance of mind, and not how some think of it. According to Epicurus: -The purpose of life is to find happiness. -Happiness is found through pleasure, conquering fears and freedom from pain. Also material things. -Knowledge is gained through the senses and scientifically. -Balance pleasure and pain. -Government is not very important. Just avoid conflicts. -The gods don't care about us. -Our soul dies when our body dies. -Universe is composed of atoms.

65%
Buddha

32%
Confucius

23%
Aristotle

19%
Lao Tzu

16%
Seneca

5%
Plato

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2020, 6:45 pm

Your Result:
88% Sartre/Camus (late existentialists)

The world is absurd. No facts govern it. We live well once we truly accept the world's absurdity. YOU give our life's meaning, and YOU control your world. (see Nietzsche for very closely tied beliefs)

70% W.v.O. Quine / Late Wittgenstein
56% Early Wittgenstein / Positivists
53% Nietzsche
36% Immanuel Kant
33% Aristotle
0% Plato (strict rationalists)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Last edited by funeralxempire on 26 Dec 2020, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2020, 6:46 pm

So I'm a real pissant than...

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2020, 7:10 pm

the result: lao tzu 74%

“a journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” legendary founder of taoism. lived about 550-470 b.c. lao is said to have retired from the civilized world and to have set out for the unknown on a black ox. at the western pass of china, the legend goes, the gatekeeper asked him to write down his thoughts. lao obligingly composed the tao te ching, “the book of the way and the virtue”. after writing this work, lao vanished into the wilderness, never to be heard from again. some scholars believe he is a mythical figure. his philosophy is based on the “dao.”

according to lao-tzu:
-we should just do what we need to live and be in harmony with nature and others.
-happiness is found in this lifestyle of peace and harmony with others.
-contemplation is one of the best ways to learn.
-relax, be patient and accepting like water.
-people should be free and not compete with each other.
-there are gods and there is a soul.
-we must balance yin and yang.

65% buddha

51% confucius

20% epicurus

18% aristotle

16% seneca

11% plato

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2020, 7:54 pm

Took the other "Ancient" philosopher quiz, as well...

Result wrote:
Your Result: Buddha

86%

AKA: Gautama Siddhartha. Indian philosopher and the founder of Buddhism. Lived from 563-483 B.C. One day in 533, he encountered an aged man, a sick man, and a corpse, and he suddenly realized that suffering is the common lot of mankind. He then met a monk and determined to adopt his way of life and forsake family and wealth in the quest for truth. He later found a better way as he meditated under a bo tree until he experienced the Great Enlightenment, which revealed the way of salvation from suffering. He traveled, taught, gathered followers, and established monastic communities. According to Buddha: -The ultimate goal and happiness is Nirvana, a state of enlightenment free from suffering. -Meditation and scientific methods are ways to learn. -In life, seek the middle way – neither excessive self-denial or indulgence. -Each person should fulfill his duties to make a good society. -The gods are worse off than humans. -There is no soul.

86% - Lao Tzu
66% - Confucius
50% - Epicurus
16% - Aristotle
8% - Seneca
0% - Plato

... well, actually a *tie* between Buddha and Lao Tzu... As I recall, there is a name for that...

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 10:45 am

I got Sartre/Camus, which makes sense to me. Second closest were Aristotle and late Wittgenstein.

I also took the ancient philosopher test and got Epicurus (woot). Followed by Aristotle, Buddha, and Lao Tzu.

I generally agree with these results, though I wish the quizzes had been longer and had better questions.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides