09 Aug 2016, 11:34 pm

wut
r the differences

r thay the same term

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 4:44 pm

Mild autism is a disability. Very mild autism is personality.
Mild autism makes daily life difficult. Very mild autism not so much, you are just considered nerdy.
Mild autism is an actual diagnosis. Very mild autism is an opinion.

At least that's how I understand it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 5:01 pm

Very mild autism is milder than mild autism. Thats my guess. LOL!

Never heard of either label (even informally).

Always thought that aspergers, and HFA were "mild autism".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 5:09 pm

Of course "very mild autism" is milder than "mild autism."

No matter what, though, you would have autism, which means you have to be diagnosed with it. Both would be Level 1 under the DSM-V.

There are a few cases where the Asperger's is so severe that the autism would be described as "moderate," or "level 2." Also: there are cases of full-blown Kanner Autism which can be said to be "mild," or "level 1."

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 6:50 pm

Apologize for being a bit sarcastic above.

But neither "mild", nor "extremely mild" were ever real categories of autism.

If you hear someone say "my nephew is mildly autistic" , or even " I am very mildly autistic" its probably their personal shorthand way of saying that theyve (or the person being talked about) has been diagnosed with aspergers, or HFA (if were talking old school), or with "type I autism"( if they were diagnosed the new way). Folks (like me) tend to assume that other folks dont know WTF "aspergers" is, but do have some sense of what "autism" is. So thats how they describe it to lay listeners: as a "mild version of autism".

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Aug 2016, 6:55 pm

I always order spicy autism myself, more stimulating

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 6:56 pm

Right. Of course. They are subjective categories. Not specifically in any of the DSM's or ICD's.

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2016, 11:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Right. Of course. They are subjective categories. Not specifically in any of the DSM's or ICD's.

so
im mild tu moderate

wut does that mean
so thare the same then

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 12:15 am

Autism isn't strictly mild or moderate, mostly in-between for me. For examples, I have lower independence skills and I'm disabled. I talk plenty, but can have pauses or mispronunciations because of dyspraxia. When I do stim this includes when I go out around people.

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2020, 1:01 pm

Lumi I agree with you about being in between can talk ok but like spelling always bad and lower independence skills also be incontinent for yrs.My wife helps me and is great support.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 6:00 pm

I don't believe that very mild Autism exists. By definition, to get an Autism diagnosis, you have to be significantly impaired on a regular basis by the traits. If you are very mild and it's just a personality, chances are you are not impaired. Just being nerdy isn't Autism. It's just being nerdy. To be Autistic you have to actually meet the diagnostic criteria.

Wreck It Ralph

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 6:14 pm

I have "very mild autism". I know people here hate functioning labels but really I am mild. And if I didn't have ADHD and high anxiety alongside AS, I probably would be lingering on the PDD-NOS borderline like my brother.

The only things I find hard is anything to do with numbers, focusing on goals or tasks, remembering routes or directions, and too much overthinking and sensitivity to some unfamiliar situations. But because of my ability to communicate my feelings, I can usually resolve problems like this, or just carry on, with a panic attack, then put it down to experience.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 6:29 pm

But your symptoms impair you daily. You are not just a person with a nerdy personality.

Wreck It Ralph

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 10:52 pm

I have not used the word mild or such in disclosing to NTs. It would sound to much like I'm ashamed of ASD. I will just use the phase "on the spectrum" if I'm not sure they will understand that "autistic" now means the same thing us and knowledgeable NTs. I have used mild to describe my daughter to other ND people who don't know her.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 10:58 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I have "very mild autism". I know people here hate functioning labels but really I am mild. And if I didn't have ADHD and high anxiety alongside AS, I probably would be lingering on the PDD-NOS borderline like my brother.

The only things I find hard is anything to do with numbers, focusing on goals or tasks, remembering routes or directions, and too much overthinking and sensitivity to some unfamiliar situations. But because of my ability to communicate my feelings, I can usually resolve problems like this, or just carry on, with a panic attack, then put it down to experience.

I'm wondering if you might benefit from being reassessed? Perhaps you would be identified with ADHD and anxiety, but not Autism Spectrum Disorder. It's possible now with the new criteria and because your first test was so long ago. I know that you're stressed about being autistic, so maybe this would be an option for you? If you are reconfirmed as autistic perhaps they could refer you for counselling or support at that time, to better accept your status on the spectrum?

The challenges you describe all sound like descriptors for executive dysfunction / ADHD. I was just tested for ADHD so I'm familiar with the criteria. "Anything to do with numbers" sounds like dyscalculia.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2020, 5:45 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I'm wondering if you might benefit from being reassessed? Perhaps you would be identified with ADHD and anxiety, but not Autism Spectrum Disorder. It's possible now with the new criteria and because your first test was so long ago. I know that you're stressed about being autistic, so maybe this would be an option for you? If you are reconfirmed as autistic perhaps they could refer you for counselling or support at that time, to better accept your status on the spectrum?

The challenges you describe all sound like descriptors for executive dysfunction / ADHD. I was just tested for ADHD so I'm familiar with the criteria. "Anything to do with numbers" sounds like dyscalculia.

I'd love this to be the case and I keep hanging on to that tiny bit of hope, but after listening to a few speeches on YouTube by Sarah Hendrickx about women and Asperger's, some of it described me, especially the part about how understanding the social norms through high school is confusing for those of us on the spectrum, and there were some other thinking styles (not deficits) she mentioned that I could relate to. But my ADHD does hinder my life, so does my anxiety disorder. But ADHD and anxiety doesn't make you get rejected by your female peers all the time...does it?