consider
it
learning
disability

MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Aug 2016, 10:06 am

Greetings. I consider it more as a learning disability. Most learning disability sites list auditory processing disorder on it. I can understand it being a language impairment, but I would see it more as a learning disability than a language impairment.

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 10:13 am

It's not necessarily a language impairment.

One could still have good language ability, but have difficulty processing auditory information.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 11:42 am

I'm curious about the same.

Yes, its a learning disability. But that doesn't mean that its not a communication problem. It does impair normal language development. And continues to impair my ability to have typical conversations. For me, its both expressive, in that I can't hear words in noisy environments, and expressive, I need extra time to express an idea and can "lose" even simple words when I'm speaking.

But I want to know what its considered. It used to be that dyslexia was seen as usually a problem with auditory processing, but I was reading some more recent research, and apparently, people in this field of research have turned away from that theory. So... what is it? What's going on here? Is auditory processing only a sensory problem? Is is language impairment or potentially language impairment? Is is an aspect of autism or is it something entirely different?

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2016, 5:08 pm

tbh
i sink
i hav it

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 5:38 pm

If your auditory processing disorder means you can't hear what the teacher is saying then it's a learning disability.

If it doesn't effect your pronunciation than it's not a language impairment.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 8:08 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
If your auditory processing disorder means you can't hear what the teacher is saying then it's a learning disability.

If it doesn't effect your pronunciation than it's not a language impairment.

So, what you're saying is that language impairments are only about the ability to produce speech? And if your speech is normal, its not a language impairment?

I think I need to research more.

It is true that a condition is only a learning disability if it produces a marked negative difference in learning. Its usually two grade levels before what is age appropriate. I was just short handing it when I said it is a learning disability. I should have said that its the underlaying problem behind many learning disabilities.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 8:16 pm

OK, so according to the great state of Florida, which happened to come up first in my search, "A Language impairment is defined as a disorder in one or more of the basic learning processes involved in understanding or in using spoken or written language."

That's more what I remember. The first kids to express language disorder are little kids who don't pronounce things correctly. But then as we get older, there are more advanced skills that are expected to develop. Its an area called language pragmatics. "Pragmatic" means the practical use of. So there are plenty of children who pronounce everything just fine, but they still receive speech services because their pragamatics are poor. They don't use speech in everyday situations like they should.

So, I'm back to my original question. If I don't hear in a crowded room, when it would be normal to hear, is this a language impairment because I can't pragmatically communicate then? What about when I become tired and I find impossible to retrieve the correct words for a situation, or when I simply replace an unrelated but similar sounding word for the correct word? How about if it happens enough make me incomprehensible or cut off work communication?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 8:17 pm

Language impairments and speech impairments are two different things.

A speech impairment is a disorder in the ability to produce sounds. There might or might not be a language impairment when one has a speech impairment.

A language impairment is a disorder in the ability to benefit from language--whether spoken, written, or otherwise. It's usually more complex than a speech impairment. One with a language impairment might not have a speech impediment.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 8:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Language impairments and speech impairments are two different things.

A speech impairment is a disorder in the ability to produce sounds. There might or might not be a language impairment when one has a speech impairment.

A language impairment is a disorder in the ability to benefit from language--whether spoken, written, or otherwise. It's usually more complex than a speech impairment. One with a language impairment might not have a speech impediment.

Speech impairment is under the umbrella of language impairment. At least it is in education circles, from which I come.

But the question remains. Is auditory processing a language impairment? Or maybe it just potentially leads to language impairment.

I do admit, its my auditory processing disorder that gets me the check on the DSM for Autism's language impairment requirement. I don't know if this is legit or not. I did not have delayed speech at all. I just have slightly weird speech. I call them brain farts. :lol: Or brain/tongue communication errors.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 8:25 pm

You can still have speech impairment without language impairment.

And language impairment without speech impairment.

Of course, both are frequently related.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2016, 9:31 am

Auditory processing also affects my speech as I've been mispronouncing a few words and didn't know. I was both speech and language delayed. With speech especially, it was unintelligible/very unclear.

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2016, 11:00 am

Lumi wrote:
Auditory processing also affects my speech as I've been mispronouncing a few words and didn't know. I was both speech and language delayed. With speech especially, it was unintelligible/very unclear.

wut
dose language delay cause problems
with

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2016, 2:34 pm

random1 wrote:
Lumi wrote:

wut
dose language delay cause problems
with

I did not have enough words to say important things, for example, who scratched my face up (I was younger than 6)...are you asking about the language delays I had specifically?

AutieUberAlles
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Aug 2016, 2:43 pm

Auditory processing disorder is rather sensory, homes. And judging by the structure of your posts, you may also have a learning disability cuz that premature chat speak and short lack of grammar. You could also just be lazy, imo.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2016, 3:49 pm

Lay off the guy. This is the way he expresses himself.