Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 10:38 pm

TheAP wrote:
No, I was very shy and didn't like to play with other children. I hated when other were bossy towards me.

I was a little like that too.

I was shy though, because I didn't like the way the other kids played. They would change rules in the middle of a game or make up different rules for each person (usually in their favour). For example, when playing snakes and ladders with my friend, she would skip spaces in order to climb a ladder. If she rolled a "5" for example, and there was a ladder 6 spaces away, she'd skip a space, and when I accused her of cheating, she would say "No, I'm not, look I moved 5 spaces", and the space she skipped apparently didn't count. But for me, she made me skip spaces so I would have to slide down. I saw their ways of playing games unfair. It would also upset me if they played a game differently than I did with my family.

I also hated it when the other kids shouted out a new rule. This caused me a lot of anxiety. Instead of bossing the other kids around, I just chose not to play with them instead.

I preferred to play games with adults because they didn't change the rules.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

momofmax
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Aug 2016, 10:52 pm

Oh YES!! This is my son! He gets so mad if he doesn't win. He says it's "not fair" and is gets really upset. He tells other kids how to play and what they can and can't do. Now, this is according to HIM. He tells them which toys they are allowed to play with and how to play with those toys. It's very frustrating to try and teach him that it's not nice to be this way. He really is such a nice boy and has the best intentions.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 12:51 pm

I don't ever remember it either way. I think if I would I'd probably not be bossy. Though all I remember is long periods of sitting by myself, Except like two years where I had a someone who would talk to me but not really a friend. I just talked to her. She probably wanted to be my friend, but I didn't know that. She never pointed that out. Not many people talk to me though.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 12:53 pm

Fern wrote:
I was totally not a bossy kid. I was the youngest in a family of rather outspoken bossy girls. I was always trying to just get a word in, or otherwise get away from other people to be alone.

It's true that I'd get mad when anyone would mess up the way I was doing something, but I don't think I had interest in teaching them or forcing them to do what I was doing. I mostly just wanted to do my own thing.

Same with me, I just wanted people to leave me alone, or just to talk not to anyone in particular.

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2016, 1:32 pm

Generally I was shy and submissive to what others wanted to play, though I very much disliked when children wouldn't play by the rules or would just quit in the middle of a game that has a definite end (card games, board games).

With my siblings (I'm the eldest) I always made sure I was the character I wanted to be when pretending to be people from movies, but I don't remember being actually bossy. I was more adamant about how things were set up than how they were played. Though if someone was insistent on doing something I didn't like, I wasn't good at saying no, I just silently fumed inside.

My mom has said I've always obeyed the rules, but was defiant in my head. She said when I was a child she'd tell me to sit down and I would, but I'd still be standing on the inside.  I'm slightly confused as to how that makes sense, yet it does. Maybe its that I obey rules, but keep an independent mind?

"I do not wish to evade the world
Yet I will forever build my own" - Tuomas Holopainen

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 10:04 am

When I watch home movies of my MIL (ASD), she would be considered bossy and selfish. So much so, none of her siblings have very much contact other than greeting card pleasantries with her today.

Everything was her way or the high way or she would start screaming. In reality it was no social skills, rigid thinking, sensory overloads and meltdowns. Her own family says "She wasn't a pleasant child unless it was done her way."

She also is HORRIBLE to work with, but that is all the lack of social skills and TOM.

My husband was pretty much the same as his mom, except he has a better relationship with his siblings. Every child age picture of his is either a blank face or unhappy. When he talks about his childhood, he comes across as an ungrateful snot. His family traveled extensively, and when he tells how he hated his life, nobody is really feeling his pain. Oh poor thing, you got to travel all over the world. Let me call you a WAAAAbulance.

People hear all the cool places he's been, not the pain of never fitting in socially. When they hear his stories, they think douche bag instead someone really hurting.

Bossy would be a mild word used to by others to describe my MIL or husband as children. But no one knew about ASD in the 30s and 60s.

Ladybeetle
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Aug 2016, 6:25 am

Oh, absolutely. For every game I set rules, even for imaginative role-play games, and if they were broken I would be terribly mad. I needed to know what exactly doing, and I would break down when the other kids drifted off to play other games as they do. I often asked my playmates what the point of the game was, and they'd get really annoyed. I need an objective to guide me. That's the person I am.