Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Patrick64
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Aug 2016, 9:25 pm

So, I have been having a hard time focusing my eyes to see correctly. I'm not sure if this is a psychological condition in the brain, but now not only is it hard to get the whole picture looking at something up close, but it seems both of my eyes have to focus on one section of the screen.

Here's a picture to help illustrate my problem.

https://s9.postimg.org/4wdevn0wv/vision.png

Also, when I was typing this I noticed, my eyes can only read this line and I have to move my eyes up to see the other sentences. I was diagnosed with autism and adhd at 3, and nowadays I have trouble with multitasking if that helps.

What would you call this disorder and how could I help alleviate or manage it if possible?

edit: it seems I feel more of the nerves in my left eye than my right. I also can only wink with my left and it sometimes feel like there is a strange cloudy vision in my left eye. I don't know how I can explain it.

woops
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Aug 2016, 9:00 pm

I also have some similar problems with vision, but I think they may possibly be drug related (either from beta-blockers, gabapentinoids or cannabis - cannabis certainly has this effect in the short term). On the other hand, I may be just focusing on things I had not previously noticed. I now get neurotic about my vision, so it's hard to tell.

It sounds like you are describing tunnel vision, a partial loss of peripheral vision or some kind of cortical vision impairment. There are serious and benign causes. I think it is normal to only be able to read the line of text you are looking at, but it would be abnormal to not be able to see the other lines in the periphery whatsoever.

A couple of basic online tests you could do are the amsler grid and a visual field test (the one at testvision.org is good).

If you have not had one recently you probably should get an eye test, especially if the problem is worsening.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 10:12 pm

you definitely should get your eyes tested. and make sure they're thorough at it. if it's a neural condition, then there may not be much you can do other than avoiding stress. but if it is an ocular condition (and there's a pretty good chance that it is), then you should get it treated asap

Patrick64
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Aug 2016, 10:41 pm

What was really sad about me, is that before I read the replies, I didn't know what field of vision, peripheral vision was. I didn't even reference tunnel vision in my mind. Whenever I am googling something now, I am misspelling words. I went to testvision.org and I am apparently having some impairments in my left eye. I am writing a diary of everything I notice. I'm going to try to see an eye doctor ASAP. (I feel like I was getting dumber because I almost wrote "I doctor" but quickly corrected myself).

Patrick64
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Aug 2016, 9:08 pm

Went to see the eye doctor. Told me my optical nerves and everything else was fine. My left eye was weaker than my right eye, but I have some mucus in my eye. I am prescribed on eye drops that supposedly combats the mucus. Because I wear glasses, and I switch between them on and off throughout the day, I've come to think that's probably why my field of vision is limited. I guess this is getting old, or what derealization/depersonalization actually is.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 9:45 pm

so the main problem is mucus? all in all, that sounds like good news