Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 10:57 pm

Not sure if this is related to autism or not.

Most people who dislike their names seem to dislike them because they are too common or they were bullied because of their name. Some don't like their name because it's too unusual or that have negative associations with it (such as their family). Not me though.

I'm not fond of my birth name (which is Alicia, pronounce "Al-lee-SHA"). It's fairly familiar, but not overly common. When I was 2.5, I insisted on being called
"Jackie" and when I get a bit older, I wanted to be called "O'Malley". I would not respond to "Alicia" and throw mini tantrums if anyone called me that. My daycare lady INSISTED on calling me "Alicia". I eventually started to respond to it but was never comfortable with it.

When someone asked me my name and I said "Alicia", I just felt uncomfortable saying it for some reason. I don't feel uncomfortable when other people say their name is Alicia. I don't mind the name at all, but I don't like it on me.

I don't feel my name suits me very well. It sounds kind of like the name of a popular and pretty girly girl, and that's not really me. I'm not sure this is the only reason though.

I go by "Allie" instead of Alicia as I feel that's a better fit for me and it doesn't make me uncomfortable. The other day, their was a new barista at my local Starbucks. Instead of asking my name, she just wrote the name that I have on Starbucks card, which is Alicia. I was a little annoyed, but not too upset. The only time I use "Alicia" is on legal documents and at the border.

Anyone else feel this way?

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Mosborn
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2016, 11:08 pm

I was never too fond of my name as I was growing up. I was named "Roy Claude Osborn III." I never really liked "Roy" very well, and "Claude" I did not care for at all. I thought it sounded like "Clod."

When I was in my thirties, after I already had two children, I changed my name legally. Now I'm Matthew. I like that name much better.

Since then I considered changing my name to "Truly Awesome." I know "Truly" is an unusual name for a man, but hey! :lol: LOL

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 11:22 pm

I remember for a few years growing up as a kid, I used to feel minor discomfort with my name. Now, I totally embrace Sean, that is who I am.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 5:29 pm

I both love and hate my name. I love it for itself. It's a nice name and it seems to be "me." But I hate it because NOBODY in my life ever gets it right. My name has been mis-spelled and mispronounced and even turned into a completely different name all my life It's gets OLD. It makes me feel like I and getting my name right doesn't matter. When everyone keeps getting your name wrong it feels like they don't even care enough about you to bother getting it right. It's disrespectful. I always try to get people's names right. I think it's a respect thing and important.

Some people think this stuff isn't important. I frakkin' do because I've had to put up with it all my life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 5:34 pm

I didn't like my name when I was a kid; but I grew to tolerate it---especially after I found out it means "world ruler" LOL

EggStirMeanAte
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2016, 6:22 pm

I've never liked my name but I don't think I'd like any other name.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 9:06 pm

Growing up I never liked my name but I like my nickname so I go by that instead.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 12:37 pm

My name was legally changed at the beginning of transition.
I had a real problem with my birth name all my life until that point, as it was heavily gendered and I'm not gendered at all. Changing it was fantastic. I put a lot of thought into that change, and my name now is the perfect name for me, even if I do have to spell it a lot.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 7:10 pm

Ive always been a little uncomfortable, my names Sean (not pronounced seen, but shawn, its the irish spelling of Shaun, but im not irish, im british). people call me "seen" all the time if they want to annoy me, or for some reason "seeny bean" which sounds stupid and kind of silly. 2 guys had a full on conversation with me trying to convince me my names is wrong, my actual name is seen not sean, but i refused to co-operate. its kind of annoying, also if you knew my last name, my last name fits kind of badly with my first name and almost sounds rude. (especially in america.....) but people warp that too. but i dont feel that any other name would fit with me, i cant see myself being called anything else. my parents originally wanted to call me seamus (pronounced shamus) but settled on Sean because of a film my mother liked (the character is called Sean Thornton, my mother thought he was dreamy, so wanted the name haha. its from the film "the quiet man"). weird that if i was a girl they were going to call me Georgia. haha thanks film for giving me Sean i guess.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 7:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I didn't like my name when I was a kid; but I grew to tolerate it---especially after I found out it means "world ruler" LOL

So what is your name then? Cesar?

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2016, 2:56 pm

I unofficially changed my name at 18 and am in the process of legally changing it to Gwen Rebecca, keeping my middle name the same, but removing my original first name. My issue with my birth name was that I couldn't pronounce it because I have a speech impediment that prevents me from from saying "th" sounds and the letter "l", both were in my birth name so it always came out weird and I hated it.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 5:07 pm

I used to hate my name, but now I'm okay with it. I have a hard time addressing people by their names, though. It feels very uncomfortable for me to call out someone's name to get their attention, so I normally just get in front of them and say what I'm going to say.

AutieUberAlles
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2016, 5:46 pm

I go by Addi, because my actual first name is super old fashion and my full name sounds like I am some kind of 1920s Austrian cognitive researcher.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 5:51 pm

I didn't like my first name for a long time because my older sister [as a toddler] couldn't pronounce her Rs so she called me "BooBoo" [like yogi bear's little buddy] and then the rest of the family chimed in. I hated that. :x

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 5:52 pm

I happen to like 1920's Austrian cognitive researchers.....

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 6:01 pm

^^^mee too :alien: if only my last name were Asperger, then my initials would be BA and at least i'd have a BA in something. :star: as it is, I just have a BM.Image