21 Aug 2016, 7:21 pm

wut are
autism like symptoms

vs autism

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 7:32 pm

Around here, it seems to be mostly people who have been diagnosed with autism, but don't like that diagnosis and want a second opinion.

In the rest of the world, that phrase might be used when a person has a couple of symptoms of autism, but not enough to be diagnosed with autism. Another phrase for this is Broader Autism Phoneme. They use this phrase in research to study family members of people with autism, who have some symptoms of autism but not all of them. Its often used to describe the mother's of autistic boys. The idea is that if we broaden our idea of autism out to fit the mother's better, we might see a more clear genetic link.

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2016, 8:34 pm

somanyspoons wrote:
Around here, it seems to be mostly people who have been diagnosed with autism, but don't like that diagnosis and want a second opinion.

In the rest of the world, that phrase might be used when a person has a couple of symptoms of autism, but not enough to be diagnosed with autism. Another phrase for this is Broader Autism Phoneme. They use this phrase in research to study family members of people with autism, who have some symptoms of autism but not all of them. Its often used to describe the mother's of autistic boys. The idea is that if we broaden our idea of autism out to fit the mother's better, we might see a more clear genetic link.

oh

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 11:49 pm

This is something i learned in psychology class

A behaviour needs to be disruptive or distructive in some way or form in order to be considered a symptom

Example: someone who dislikes socailizing but has no difficulties with it and jusr prefers solittude is not a symptom
Someone who constantly attempts to socailize and fails multiple times and cannot adapt and improve without support is a symptom.

Determining a dofference between symtoms of non autistic symptoms and autistic symptoms is more complicated

Like a person with social anxiety will avoid eye contact like a person with autism will, however a person with social anxiety will avoid eye contact because of fear and feelings of judgement but a person with autism can have many reasons for not making autism, like feeling unnatural, not seeing it as necessary or not being able to look at a person and listen at the same time.

Im no expert and you should take what i say with a grain of salt.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 1:04 pm

random1 wrote:
wut are
autism like symptoms

vs autism

Is something that looks like a Cold but is Ammonia a cold. No That's what it means.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 1:42 pm

Coventry Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services developed the Coventry Grid: ASD vs
Attachment Problems to try to identify differences between the two groups and so assist in differential
diagnosis.
(Paper plus complete grid)

This is one example taken from the grid which identifies the differences between the Autism Spectrum (Autism symptoms) and attachment problems (Autism like symptoms).

Autism Spectrum vs Attachment Problems

Symptoms of autism:

Lack of flexibility of thought and behaviour

Present in both autism and attachment problems:

• Preference for predictability in daily life
• Repetitive questions related to own intense interests

Typical presentation in the autism spectrum:

• Repetitive questioning re changes in routines and new experiences
• Ritualised greetings
• Becomes anxious if routine is removed and may seek to impose usual routine (eg wants same bedtime routine when away on holidays)
• Inclined to try to repeat experiences and to interpret any repetition as routine (eg asks/demands repetition of following the same route to school)
• Distressed when a routine or ritual cannot be completed (eg when cannot follow the usual route because of road works)
• May cope well with new and unfamiliar experience as no previous routine has developed (eg horse riding; air travel)

Typical presentation in attachment problems:

• Preference for ritualised caring processes (eg bedtimes, meals)
• Repetitive questioning re changes in routines and new experiences
• Copes better with predictability in daily routines but usually enjoys change and celebrations
• Looks forward to new experiences but may not manage the emotions they provoke (eg may not cope with excitement or disappointment)
• Takes time to learn new routines
• Routines tend to be imposed by adults in order to contain the child’s behaviour more easily

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 1:58 pm

To me autism like symptoms means something looks like it's autism but it's not.

Autism like symptoms are found in the following conditions but probably not limited to:

Social anxiety
OCD
Narcissism spectrum
Schizophrenia spectrum
Borderline Personality Disorder
ADHD
Deafness
Blindness
Language impairment
Being an abused child
PTSD
Anxiety disorder
Sensory Processing disorder
Dyspraxia
Depression
Bipolar

and of course introverts can come off as autistic even though it's not a medical condition, it's a personality, a difference. Also just being a difficult child can also make a parent thing their kid might be autistic. Difficult kids are also considered normal even though they also struggle and struggle to be understood and to fit in and be accepted but yet they are also considered normal. It just means they need to be in the right environment for teaching and learning, need the right support, need a different approach when raising them and bam their problems are gone.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 2:11 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:

Like a person with social anxiety will avoid eye contact like a person with autism will, however a person with social anxiety will avoid eye contact because of fear and feelings of judgement but a person with autism can have many reasons for not making autism, like feeling unnatural, not seeing it as necessary or not being able to look at a person and listen at the same time.

A question I have is what if the person didn't do eye contact because it made them uncomfortable and they felt it was a invasion of their privacy if anyone tried to look in their eyes? But it was not because they thought they were going to be judged and the fear of having that happen. I can't decide if this is social anxiety or autism but I have read this as a reason by other autistic people why they don't do eye contact. This is my reason too. My other reasons were I didn't think it was necessary and I have ears so I can ear them. Also the fact I would just forget to do it. Also I never liked people demanding me to look at them or else it makes it harder for me to do it. They have to in fact earn it. That is just the way I am.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

father
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2016, 8:37 pm

But what is the significance anyways. Similar Behaviors related to autism , misbehavior or otherwise means that they meet in being a challenge , all of them. Why stop where science have not yet conquered , why don't we try with what we know ( being ordinary people ) ? .

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 3:48 pm

League_Girl wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:

A question I have is what if the person didn't do eye contact because it made them uncomfortable and they felt it was a invasion of their privacy if anyone tried to look in their eyes? But it was not because they thought they were going to be judged and the fear of having that happen. I can't decide if this is social anxiety or autism but I have read this as a reason by other autistic people why they don't do eye contact. This is my reason too. My other reasons were I didn't think it was necessary and I have ears so I can ear them. Also the fact I would just forget to do it. Also I never liked people demanding me to look at them or else it makes it harder for me to do it. They have to in fact earn it. That is just the way I am.

A feeling of invasion of privacy could lean more to a very insecure and self conscious reason for not wanting to look at people. But there are many reasons why autistic people dont make eye contact and there is no definite reason why.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com