autistic and deathly afraid of mice!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

lonely autistic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2016, 4:18 pm

im very afraid of them! if i see one ill scream! ill leave the house if one is in the house! :( any of you aspies afraid of mice and have this severe a phobia fear of them?

RabidFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2016, 5:09 pm

Ahaha! Sorry, I'm not laughing at you. :D I'm just remembering my own recent problem with mice. My, my, my... are they very hard to catch!

I have had seven mice in this house. The first one was an adult, and then, after leaving the door open too long, six baby mice snuck into the house! It took me forever to catch them all. I had to keep using traps and it was so horrible! I felt so bad for those mice. I hated it when the traps would kill them, but I didn't have a choice. A couple of them lived, but the rest died. And there was no way that I was going to use sticky traps. That would have been very inhumane.

To answer your original question, no, I am not afraid of mice. I would have picked them up with my hands if I wasn't cautious of them biting me. Don't want rabies, you know.

It really is a shame, though, because I would have enjoyed watching them run around if I didn't have to catch them.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 6:09 pm

I'm not afraid of mice, but being afraid of mice isn't an aspie trait.

lonely autistic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2016, 6:14 pm

im terrified of them, i mean its severe

lonely autistic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2016, 6:16 pm

what about severe phobias though

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 1:06 am

lonely autistic wrote:
what about severe phobias though

I would think people with autism could be more prone to phobias. And more likely to have a meltdown over a phobia. But I think it's too universal among neuro-typical people to be considered related to autism.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 1:22 am

not scared of mice but found myself a reluctant judge/jury/executioner of them over the years. but I do have apiphobia which make me wail in terror and flee from bees, running away from them just like a little girl. :oops: you don't wanna be riding in a car with me and a bee that flies in and gets trapped. :o

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 3:18 am

A lot of NTs I know have severe irrational phobias.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 3:53 am

I am not afraid of mice but it certainly can give a shock when you go to kitchen in middle of night and you see something running lightning fast through it or you are sleeping and you hear something moving under your bed.
Fortunatelly we don't have mice problem anymore - we have two cats.
Last time I seen an alive mice was a a few years ago. And it was quite funny. A mice got to my room and escaped under TV, followed by cat. The cat sat there for a long while, trying to get it out. So I put some hardened paper on floor around the TV and cat, making a border so mouse can't escape and I moved the TV, making the mouse run away. Cat got it but I ordered cat to stop messing with it so mice just froze in a corner, staring at the cat which wanted to play with it but couldn't because I was pushing her to floor. Then I put a glass over the mice and a piece of hardened paper under it and I took it to the garden. Cat was unhappy - but I didn't want any spread of blood in my room and I felt sorry for the mice.

BTW. Aren't mice actually quite cute?

Almost like jumping spiders:

(I have arachnophobia - but I find this one cute).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 4:43 am

I remember being rudely awoken by a big ol' wild rat scampering across my chest to god knows where. :eew: I remember its tail seemed awfully long.

Trekkie83
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Aug 2016, 5:06 am

I think phobias can happen in anyone. When I was young I was terrified of spiders. I could not sleep if I thought one might be in my room. Every night, before going to bed, I would do a 'spider check' to make sure there were none in my bed. I was quite OCD about it. I don't remember exactly how or why but I did eventually get over it, though I still don't like them.

If you have a problem with mice, might I suggest getting a cat.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 5:10 am

I couldn't stand all that @#$% cat hair all over me and all over the place, getting into my food even! getting into my HAIR!! :o into my MOUTH!! ! :eew: plus the dander made it so I was wheezing and itching and scratching. no more.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 5:39 am

I.. have no phobias.
Not even as a child. And if I have fears, it's not as severe. :? I can get startled or yelped, but nothing that would trigger a meltdown or a shutdown.

I'm allergic to cats, but I LIKE cats. :cry: Why fear them even if I'm allergic to them?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 5:59 am

I do not have fear of these little rodents. I like mice, they look sweet, such as many other rodents (like squirrels, chinchillas, hamsters etc.). In my eralier childhood I had quite large mascot of Mickey Mouse.
But my mother appears to have a fear of mice, and maybe even more of rats.