poll: same-hand side or mirrored side?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

which side of your face would you point to?
same-hand side 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
mirrored side 50%  50%  [ 7 ]
random side 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
it depends 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
it's so hard to choose! 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
i wouldn't point at my face 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
i have no idea 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 4:21 pm

"shower thought" type of question. here's the hypothetical scenario:

you're talking to someone you're familiar with. they have some kind of speck on their cheek and it's distracting you. you want to explain to them where exactly the speck is so they can clean their cheek and you can continue your conversation. touching their face is not an option, and getting close to their face is not an option either. which side of your face will you point at to illustrate where the speck is?

(note that it's not about which side makes more sense. i mean it literally: which side will you point at)

same-hand = left side of their face -> left side of your face
mirrored = left side of their face -> right side of your face
random = unpredictable. can be one or the other, no logic or reason
depends = not always same-hand or always mirrored, but there's a reason
hard to choose = why don't you ask me about cosmology instead? this is too difficult! (my pick :lol:)
wouldn't point at my face = would never point at your own face. would communicate it some other way
no idea = never thought about it / never noticed it / not applicable

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 5:32 pm

Autism Thread Edition,

I think you have put waaaaaaaaaaay too much thought into this.

But probably same hand side without thinking about it and never thinking about it lol

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 5:33 pm

dcj123 wrote:
I think you have put waaaaaaaaaaay too much thought into this.

lol, you noticed? :lol:

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 6:41 pm

I wouldn't point at my face; that would be confusing. I would point at their face.

Or maybe I'd tell them that there was a speck on their cheek, and let them find it on their own. Maybe say, "Yeah, there," once they're touching it. But the thought of pointing at my own face makes no sense to me, so it wouldn't even occur to me.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 6:53 pm

AnaHitori wrote:
I wouldn't point at my face; that would be confusing.

it is confusing. but then it's hard to communicate where exactly on their face you mean, without breaching personal space boundaries

it's a dilemma! :shrug:

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 7:18 pm

anagram wrote:
AnaHitori wrote:
I wouldn't point at my face; that would be confusing.

it is confusing. but then it's hard to communicate where exactly on their face you mean, without breaching personal space boundaries

it's a dilemma! :shrug:

Meh, I guess no one I know cares that much about personal space, then.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 7:19 pm

AnaHitori wrote:
Meh, I guess no one I know cares that much about personal space, then.

haha you're lucky

SilentJessica
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2016, 6:10 am

The same side, but then they try to wipe the opposite side of their face, so then I try pointing to the mirrored side, and then they finally get the right side.

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 2:12 pm

SilentJessica wrote:
The same side, but then they try to wipe the opposite side of their face, so then I try pointing to the mirrored side, and then they finally get the right side.

yes, i'm familiar with that scenario :lol:

it feels wrong to say "the left side of your face" while i point to the right side of my face. i don't know why, but i get left and right mixed up very often. it's weird. even when i'm just talking and gesturing, i tend to gesture with the wrong hand first. then i notice it and i'm just as puzzled as the other person. maybe i had trouble with mirroring at first and then i ended up overcompensating as a habit? i don't know. or maybe i'm just naturally confused about it, period. when i'm transcribing something, for instance (like spoken instructions to text, or one language to another), i often get left and right switched in the process. or when i'm processing instructions in my head. i need to check and recheck it to make it sure i got it right, and sometimes it goes unnoticed

i also get lost easily (one of the many reasons why i would be a very bad driver if i insisted in driving. i have a driver's license, but i never used it). i need to check my position on a map at every turn when i'm going somewhere new. when it's not an option, i ask for directions at every turn or every time i feel like i'm getting farther from my destination. people will always try to explain the whole path, but i just listen to the first thing they say (the direction i need to go from that point, and the first turn i need to take). then i just nod and smile and wait for them to finish explaining the whole path, and i ask them again about the first direction/turn, to make sure i got it right. then i walk to that point (or until i feel like i'm lost), look for another friendly stranger, ask for directions, rinse and repeat until i get to my destination. it's surprisingly effective