Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 10:28 pm

So, I'll start off with saying that another guy had this unique idea of asking a girl to homecoming; writing the question on a baseball and giving it to her. I figured that since I have lots of baseballs here at home, I would do that myself. What would be a good thing to write on there to ask a girl to homecoming?

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 11:01 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
So, I'll start off with saying that another guy had this unique idea of asking a girl to homecoming; writing the question on a baseball and giving it to her. I figured that since I have lots of baseballs here at home, I would do that myself. What would be a good thing to write on there to ask a girl to homecoming?

To be completely honest, I don't think that's a good idea.

If you were to give her the baseball and walk off, how would she respond to you?

If you were to give her the baseball and wait for her response on the spot, how would that be any better than just straight up asking her to homecoming?

Why a baseball of all things anyway?

Have you ever spoken to this girl before?

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 11:13 pm

His username looks like something from a U.S. baseball team name.

Maybe they're both interested in it?

If so, you can do that OP but don't leave, wait for her to answer.

Try to do give her the ball in an endearing or subtle way.

For example, if she is a very playful person, when you next see her and she says hi, from a small distance of a few meters (or 'feet') you could say 'think fast' and throw the ball to her (at a slow speed and carefully, of course, and try to throw it so she'd be very likely to catch it with her hands).

And once she catches it, don't act like you've written anything on the ball.

If she sees and reads it, and asks about what's written on it, you could say:

"It says what? Let me see".

And then once she shows you, you could look at the writing curiously.

"Hmmm...that's interesting. (look to her) So, how about it? (make a cheeky smile)"

This would only work best if:

1. She is interested in it too.

or

2. She knows you decently well and you're known to her as a big fan of baseball.

And what do you write on the ball?

Well, how about:

"Will you go to the homecoming BALL with me?"

:lol:

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 11:22 pm

Outrider wrote:
His username looks like something from a U.S. baseball team name.

Maybe they're both interested in it?

If so, you can do that OP but don't leave, wait for her to answer.

For example, if she is a very playful person, when you next see her and she says hi, from a small distance of a few meters (or 'feet') you could say 'think fast' and throw the ball to her (at a slow speed and carefully, of course, and try to throw it so she'd be very likely to catch it with her hands).

And once she catches it, don't act like you've written anything on the ball.

If she sees and reads it, and asks about what's written on it, you could say:

"It says what? Let me see".

And then once she shows you, you could look at the writing curiously.

"Hmmm...that's interesting. (look to her) So, how about it? (make a cheeky smile)"

This would only work best if:

1. She is interested in it too.

or

2. She knows you decently well and you're known to her as a big fan of baseball.

Well, how about:

:lol:

Yeah, I was working off the assumption that he hasn't talked to this girl before (or at least, not enough to establish a rapport), and she doesn't have a particular interest in baseball. If I'm wrong on either count, it probably is a good idea, but if OP hasn't interacted with her much, and she's not a baseball fan, there are probably better ways of approaching the situation.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2016, 3:57 pm

Outrider wrote:

Well, how about:

No and no! It's way too corny. It's fun and endearing only if you're dealing with a girl you know closely. Preferably as friends where you hang out outside any formal organized structure (school, sports team, volunteer job, Meetup, etc.). Other than that, you could come off as too eager or even creepy. Maybe I'm projecting my own social anxiety I had back in school, but I stand by my opinion.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2016, 7:05 am

It depends on how well he knows her, and how well he pulls it off.

Something like this takes a lot of confidence.

It's not that bad; it's creative and confident.

It's taking a big risk yet approaching it in a light-hearted way.

If she rejects him, he's got to place it off cool, like it doesn't phase him too much, even if it does.

Since OP has Aspergers, however, I expect he probably wouldn't be able to pull-it-off, I know I'd probably do half as good as the way I described it, but I'm decently confident enough to not screw it up completely.

Besides, my laidback and goofy personality when interacting with others would simply help reinforce the idea that, yep, this is something only I would do to ask a girl out. The whole "that's typical Outrider for ya (light-hearted laughter/amusement)" thing.

This is something that can either go spectacularly good or horribly wrong.

I think if this is the kind of guy OP is, the kind of guy that would think of and do this idea, then it's better he put a bit of his individuality in the asking out rather than just the generic old 'Would you like to get a coffee' B.S.

alex
Developer
Developer

08 Sep 2016, 8:21 am

Why don't you just ask her?

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2016, 8:30 am

Outrider wrote:
Something like this takes a lot of confidence.

It's not that bad; it's creative and confident.

It's taking a big risk yet approaching it in a light-hearted way.
I think if this is the kind of guy OP is, the kind of guy that would think of and do this idea, then it's better he put a bit of his individuality in the asking out rather than just the generic old 'Would you like to get a coffee' B.S.
Well, then in that case, this method wouldn't work for my age group. It may be funny/cute/interesting/whatever for a teenager, but it'll look downright weird for a 30-something. Among my social circle, both the relationship'ed friends I've known for 10 years and the new social interest groups I joined, the asking-out methods are very old-school. The most preferred one is face-to-face, wherever people have a chance to talk one-on-one. The second choice is via a messaging medium, such as by texting, by Meetup message, etc.

Unfortunately, I have nothing to suggest for the OP; I didn't date in high school, given how hideous I looked back then. I only asked out one girl who I had a crush on. I did it face-to-face after class. (I then got her phone number, so we could plan out the date privately.) She said yes. But then she broke the date when I told her I didn't have a car. I think this incident permanently destroyed my ability to get infatuated.

Last edited by Aspie1 on 08 Sep 2016, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2016, 8:42 am

I would forget the baseball idea.

There are girls who really don't want to handle baseballs; they think they're dirty. And she might not have enough room in her handbag/knapsack for this baseball, which she must lug when you give it to her.

Instead, I would give her a nice card asking her to the Homecoming.