Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CadoWest
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Sep 2016, 9:59 pm

Yes. Or sometimes I feel like I'm making someone sort of uncomfortable, and I don't really know why. Am I saying something stupid? Making a stupid face?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 10:20 pm

People look at me as if I'm weird ...
because in my case,
I am weird. 8)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 12:14 am

I tend to think that everyone is weird in their own particular way.

north404
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Sep 2016, 1:23 am

ResilientBrilliance wrote:
My conclusion is that my eyes look different. I got this idea after reading several internet posts about how NTs are very sensitive to reading people's eye areas. Maybe my eyes look sad or "dead" to them. On top of that, I probably have stiff body language that NTs interpret as odd or inappropriate. It doesn't matter how politely I'm speaking or what the subject is about because the eye area and body language are most important aspect of an interaction to them. Tbh I've already made up my mind that that is the reason. I know I'm not imagining people frowning at me and giving me the "something isn't right with her" look. I don't know what the solution is but I'm not going to drive myself crazy over it. I was trying my best to get out of my comfort zone by being social and making eye contact, and I STILL get looked at like I'm an alien.

I've come up with the same conclusion. Something is wrong with my eyes (asides from my eyes/eye brows being a bit asymmetrical - in pictures - they look alright in front of a mirror though, so I'm not sure which is more accurate). I was considering picking up sunglasses to wear for daily use, at least outside, just to hide my eyes lol

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2016, 4:34 pm

racheypie666 wrote:
ResilientBrilliance wrote:
My conclusion is that my eyes look different. I got this idea after reading several internet posts about how NTs are very sensitive to reading people's eye areas. Maybe my eyes look sad or "dead" to them. On top of that, I probably have stiff body language that NTs interpret as odd or inappropriate.

I think it's something about the eyes too. Maybe I give too much eye contact, or hold my eyes too wide, I don't know. I have also been told I have a very straight, stiff posture. I do ballet so I am always very conscious of how I carry myself, but I think my stiff body language is also related to autism.

Once I was sat on a bench with mum and dad, and two people in the space of about 10 minutes walked past and stared at me, to the point where they were craning their necks to keep staring as they walked away. One was an elderly lady, the other was a mother with her family, so I wasn't being 'checked out' I don't think :wink: . I asked my parents if I had something on my face, or was doing something strange, and my dad said it's because I carry myself in a very tall and elegant way. Thanks daddy :heart: .It made me feel better about myself at the time, but it's still weird that something I do unconsciously can make me stand out so much. Especially because I see people staring and think I have done something inappropriate (I think, 's**t. Am I talking to myself? Am I rocking? :lol: ).

I get stared at too when I'm sitting and minding my own business. I guess I stick out like a sore thumb, even when I'm not doing anything. You would think I would be doing something crazy to warrant all the stares. But apparently people pick up on any differences.

north404 wrote:
I've come up with the same conclusion. Something is wrong with my eyes (asides from my eyes/eye brows being a bit asymmetrical - in pictures - they look alright in front of a mirror though, so I'm not sure which is more accurate). I was considering picking up sunglasses to wear for daily use, at least outside, just to hide my eyes lol

I tried wearing sunglasses but noticed I still get the same bizarre reactions.

jack1992
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Feb 2019, 8:33 pm

In my case, I think people look at me strangely because I avoid eye contact and only give people quick glances. This probably makes people wonder why I don't look at them longer. They often look suspicious of me, like they think my lack of eye contact is a sign I'm up to no good. They give me sidelong glances, something like this:
It destroys me inside every time I get that look and it just makes me even more self conscious and avoidant which is probably half the reason people are so uncomfortable towards me in the first place. It's a vicious cycle, a self fulfilling prophecy!

I have found that smiling can sometimes help put people at ease, but I don't always remember to smile. I have to consciously make myself act socially acceptable, lol!