Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Closet_Genius
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2016, 3:22 pm

I've always been able to handle a stupid amount of pain. I've broke my collar bone, all my fingers and toes, and cracked 6 ribs. Other than my collar bone and one of my thumbs I have either ignored them or set them myself, wrapped them up and continued working. I've also glued cuts back together that should have had 10 or more stitches. And I continue to work and function with joints partially dislocated due to hypermobility. Is this kind of pain tolerance common among aspies?

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 4:13 pm

I don't know if it is an autie thing or not, but it is true for me as well... kinda. I am generally oblivious/indifferent to things that other people would freak out over. It can be problematic to me. I ended up needing emergency surgery once because I failed to recognize that I should have been in severe pain. I only registered it as mildly annoying/problematic. I have done things like broken almost all of my toes (though not at once) and walked around on them, I rarely notice when I cut myself (I superglue that stuff when it's real bad too) until I have blood everywhere and still no ouch reaction, I'm always whacking myself into things and never know if it's bad or not until a giant bruise shows up or doesn't... the list goes on.

That said, light touch stuff drives me insane. Weird seams in clothing burn like hell. That kinda stuff right there is what hurts. Go figure. I think I feel pain backwards or something...

Closet_Genius

13 Sep 2016, 4:34 pm

that's what I'm like except the light stuff is extremely ticklish. I burnt my thumb with a rope while topping a tree. My ex wife begged me to go to the hospital and had to keep me there during the long wait. It was more annoying than a painful feeling. Come to find out, I burnt it to the bone and took out 25% of the tendon. They had to put me out for surgery and a skin graft.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 4:56 pm

Not very good. I often scream whenever I experience pain. And in the past I've had a lot of trouble tolerating pain, like at the dentist, though I'm better now. Also, I find being even a little sick hard to handle.

Closet_Genius

13 Sep 2016, 5:12 pm

TheAP wrote:
Not very good. I often scream whenever I experience pain. And in the past I've had a lot of trouble tolerating pain, like at the dentist, though I'm better now. Also, I find being even a little sick hard to handle.

I'd be bedridden most of the time if I felt pain normally so I see it as a good thing. Gonna keep going til it won't go no mo...lol

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 5:37 pm

Closet_Genius wrote:
that's what I'm like except the light stuff is extremely ticklish. I burnt my thumb with a rope while topping a tree. My ex wife begged me to go to the hospital and had to keep me there during the long wait. It was more annoying than a painful feeling. Come to find out, I burnt it to the bone and took out 25% of the tendon. They had to put me out for surgery and a skin graft.

Yep. I would so do something like that... my spouse is good for keeping me in check about things and dragging me to the emergency room when I needed to go. I never want to go and always want to leave. Glad you had someone to make you go. Sometimes surgery is a must.

Closet_Genius

13 Sep 2016, 5:40 pm

dossa wrote:
Closet_Genius wrote:

Yep. I would so do something like that... my spouse is good for keeping me in check about things and dragging me to the emergency room when I needed to go. I never want to go and always want to leave. Glad you had someone to make you go. Sometimes surgery is a must.

I'm still doubtful lol. My thumb still doesn't work right. And if you don't mind, will you kinda proof read my post in dating and relationships Answering online dating questions and let me know if there's a reason noone is posting?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Sep 2016, 10:43 pm

I have a low tolerance to pain while my girlfriend who's also on the spectrum has a high tolerance. She's had some pain issues her whole life thou due to one leg being shorter than the other that's wasn't known till a couple years ago & fibromyalgia that wasn't diagnosed till her last doc appointment. I pushed her to get her pain issues looked at.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2016, 11:05 am

Closet_Genius wrote:

I am on the opposite end of pain tolerance. I am hypersensitive to heat, cold, textures, and the slightest pains (I also have a fibromyalgia/sensory processing disorder diagnosis). The sensations can fully shut me down, so I have a problem with avoidance. I, too, have some hypermobility issues in my hips and knees and I am extremely clumsy (cannot ride a bike and often trip over myself).

However, one of my dear aspie friends is hyposensitive like you. She has a high pain tolerance and even has trouble detecting hunger pangs (and will forget to eat as a result).