How would you describe your life with Aspergers?

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

KanyeWestFan
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2016, 8:34 pm

For me right now its a lot of worries

TheCurse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2016, 9:36 pm

I'm a goose among ducks.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 9:48 pm

Like being an astronaut getting pelted by cosmic debris which turns out to be alien everyday junk like their version of crisp packets or old lamps and more frequently than anyone would believe I get smacked by a bathtub or whatever, it's very difficult. I may find a useful spaceship in the next few years though as I'm clawing some semblance of structure back after years of being buffeted by harsh solar turbulence!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 1:02 am

It makes everything take so much longer than it should to materialise, for example, getting a new job. My peers seem to be moving on quick, one minute they are waiting a long time for things, then suddenly it happens and they can move on. But me, I seem to be stuck in the same position in life until dooms day it seems. I can't move into my boyfriend's house until I find a job near where he lives, but I'm having no such luck finding a new job. So it's same old same old, year in year out.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 1:28 am

"the road less traveled."

B19
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 1:57 am

As a bridge between two worlds

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2016, 3:03 am

Suffering, suffering, suffering

-Johnnyh

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 5:19 am

I'm in the water... it's cold, frigid. I feel it sapping the heat from my body... it bites into me, I tremble as I search desperately for the shore I know is nearby. The fog parts at times, and I can see it; a fire there, warm and waiting. Knowing that my strength is waning and I will not be able to survive in this icy pool, I try to move towards where I last saw it but I each stroke saps more of my strength. Behind me I hear voices in the distance. Some tell me all I need to do is swim harder, as though I weren't putting all I have left into this already. Some try to persuade me the icy water is safe, but I know I will succumb to the cold if I don't find a way out. Some tell me the fire I saw is not there. I call out to them for help, but they fall silent.

Another glimmer in the distance, through the fog. I start swimming again... I hope that I will find that shore in time. That someone, anyone will hear my increasingly weak pleas for help and come to my aid. After thirty years of this, I'm not sure how much I have left in me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 5:35 am

^^^^^as somebody on the far side of the age divide, I can tell you the acuteness of the pain markedly reduces with the years. one way or another, your pain will diminish.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 6:53 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^^^as somebody on the far side of the age divide, I can tell you the acuteness of the pain markedly reduces with the years. one way or another, your pain will diminish.

I find that hard to believe when without fail it gets worse every year. We're beyond pain now anyway, and into despair... into something that eats away at one's soul. The conclusion I've come to is that my only chance is to find the help I need, but I'm not sure it exists.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Sep 2016, 7:18 am

I don't have Asperger Syndrome I have autism so perhaps my contribution is irrelevant but for me, my life is what it is, I don't know any other life.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 7:33 am

Usually, on WP, when somebody has a question stated as pertaining to Asperger's, they almost always mean for other people on the Spectrum to answer as well.

The question is relevant to all on the Spectrum.

In most cases, Asperger's is synonymous with autism; it's not a separate entity.

There is an acknowledgement that we are all on the same Spectrum.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 16 Sep 2016, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2016, 7:45 am

AJisHere wrote:
I'm in the water... it's cold, frigid. I feel it sapping the heat from my body... it bites into me, I tremble as I search desperately for the shore I know is nearby. The fog parts at times, and I can see it; a fire there, warm and waiting. Knowing that my strength is waning and I will not be able to survive in this icy pool, I try to move towards where I last saw it but I each stroke saps more of my strength. Behind me I hear voices in the distance. Some tell me all I need to do is swim harder, as though I weren't putting all I have left into this already. Some try to persuade me the icy water is safe, but I know I will succumb to the cold if I don't find a way out. Some tell me the fire I saw is not there. I call out to them for help, but they fall silent.

Another glimmer in the distance, through the fog. I start swimming again... I hope that I will find that shore in time. That someone, anyone will hear my increasingly weak pleas for help and come to my aid. After thirty years of this, I'm not sure how much I have left in me.

Assuming they perfect genetic therapy and other things like stem cells, there may be hope in 40 years, you will be 70. If they develop this tech they will also have developed life extension techniques, maybe we can live up to 120-150. Thats 50-70 more years of better life. I wonder how we can hang in there, if none of it works ah well I'll probably retire to a handicapped home and play Call of Duty until I die. If there is another life I will hope I am normal, if there is no other life then it will be a dreamless sleep so we win either way in death. Although as someone knowledgable about buddhism there may be millions of different places to go after we die, I hope I don't go to one of those hells lasting a million years or be reborn as one of those freaky ghost things called pretas. I need a cup of tea.

-Johnnyh

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 8:19 am

Like a gentle old cat in a cage with violent, aggressive pit bulls.

OR

Like driving on a road where all other cars are police cars, watching your every move.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Sep 2016, 9:08 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Usually, on WP, when somebody has a question stated as pertaining to Asperger's, they almost always mean for other people on the Spectrum to answer as well.

The question is relevant to all on the Spectrum.

In most cases, Asperger's is synonymous with autism; it's not a separate entity.

There is an acknowledgement that we are all on the same Spectrum.

I am under the impression that Asperger Syndrome is part of the autistic spectrum. But judging by some of the other threads that I've perused on this forum there appears to be a subset of users who are convinced that Asperger Syndrome is not part of the spectrum at all but instead adamantly insist that it is an entirely different condition, which is in no way connected with autism. Therefore I simply replied, in my first post, to the specific words that I read in the OP, which included "...your life with Aspergers." I didn't second guess what else the OP might have intended for it to include or exclude.

In fact even when I registered here, among the profile deails was a tick box set of questions that included...
Do you have Asperger Syndrome, diagnosed?
Do you have Asperger Syndrome, undiagnosed?
Are you related to someone who has...?
Are the parent of a child with...?
At the bottom of the list it asked...
Do you have autism.
If it's all viewed as a continuous spectrum why have the different categories? Why not simply ask, are you on the autistic spectrum?

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 9:31 am

Like the title of the old Clint Eastwood movie
"The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman