embracing the mistakes in Oct. 14 movie "The Accountant"

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 1:34 pm

And yes, I think this is the way to play the hand. :D

For example, the guy helps violent organizations launder their money.

Possible Reply: No, we're not saints. We're just regular people.

The main character (like so common in portrayals of Autism Spectrum!) is shown as being great at math.

Possible Reply: Yes, some autistic persons are great at math. Others at the narrative / case study method of learning, others at visual learning like Temple Grandin. Different styles, like people in general.

Please share some of your ideas.

Guitarsandcameras
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Sep 2016, 9:35 pm

I think the movie will have a positive impact, overall. It will broaden people's perception of what autism is and how it can present within different individuals. But I'm already reading articles from angry mothers saying that Hollywood is doing their children an injustice. I understand and empathize with him. However, there are people on the spectrum such as the accountant. Perhaps without all the Hollywood flair. We used to call them PDD-NOS. To say these people don't suffer immensely is incorrect.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2016, 1:17 pm

Are the parents saying the movie is doing an injustice because their kids suffer worse from sensory issues, or don't seem to have the same chances of finding a place in the world?

Although we on the Spectrum develop, just maybe somewhat slower.

========

And on the question of empathy, sometimes I think I care too much. For example, when I read that companies sell infant formula in questionable ways overseas, I care. yes, even these days, for example, look up "white gold rush" and China on google. I think a lot of other people feel they're being worked or played, don't want to be goody two-shoes, or think they don't have the energy to care about something so far away.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 4:24 am

I wonder why "The Big Short" a movie released earlier this year about real life aspie hedge fund manager Michael Burry involved in the 2008 financial crisis did not produce anything like this much angst?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 1:57 pm

why this movie's get more buzz?

Well, it's a high-fueled adrenaline rush. It's one guy really good with high-powered rifles apparently fighting a whole criminal organization.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 8:15 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I wonder why "The Big Short" a movie released earlier this year about real life aspie hedge fund manager Michael Burry involved in the 2008 financial crisis did not produce anything like this much angst?

I wonder the same too. IMO, I've read speculation that Christian Bale {who played Burry in "The Big Short"} might have AS himself, which could be a logical explanation for him giving a great performance.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 2:41 pm

obviously, the thing for him to do is to put together a whole team, where loyalty is the coin of the realm per the book Donnie Brasco

But for someone on the Spectrum, that can be a little hard.

Plus, a situation where a violent confrontation is deterred doesn't make for near as exciting a movie

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 3:06 pm

I'm excited about this movie. Finally an autistic character who a) isn't a goofy laughingstock, and b) is doing something interesting other than just being autistic.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 4:11 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
I'm excited about this movie. Finally an autistic character who a) isn't a goofy laughingstock, and b) is doing something interesting other than just being autistic.

Same here. After watching the trailer, it seems as if Ben Affleck is playing against type.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 2:31 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
. . . and b) is doing something interesting other than just being autistic.
I like that! :D

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 1:01 pm

It opens this Friday. Maybe I'll see the first or second showing, just for s**ts and grins.

Then maybe I'll write down my 0, 1, 2, or 3 favorite scenes. Still dapple in screenwriting! :jester:

SurferJeff
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Oct 2016, 6:19 pm

I just saw it. And I loved it. Yeah, it has a lot of Hollywood clichés, and probably won't please any parents of autistic children. But basically, the Accountant is my kind of bad ass.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 6:43 pm

*minor spoilers alert*

I saw it and I really enjoyed it. I was particularly glad there was an emphasis on how the main character's upbringing had influenced his becoming a "bad azz", and that it was NOT portrayed as an inherent part of his autism.

One thing that worried me a little was that the movie seemed to encourage martial arts training for autistic children. While this can work for some, it can also backfire when social situations are misread as a threat. I also didn't like that the father intentionally exposed the child to sensory triggers, and that doing so was portrayed as beneficial for him.

Side note - the theater was pretty full, and everyone kept laughing at things the accountant said - things that I thought were pretty reasonable responses, and that I probably would have (or have!) said myself. I guess that's to be expected, though. Maybe that's why people always tell me I'm so funny. :?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 4:27 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
I also didn't like that the father intentionally exposed the child to sensory triggers, and that doing so was portrayed as beneficial for him.

** spoiler alert **

The dad was portrayed as a tightly-wound dictatorial type.

As an adult, the main character would turn on loud (heavy metal?) music and a strobe light and rub and press his calf with a large, round bar. Was this sensory regulation?

After a particularly stress incident, this didn't work, so he tried more of it (very human). Including hitting his leg with this large, round bar. It still didn't work. And then he went and did something different. Smart idea.

I used to go to the tavern which had loud karyoke music, football on TV, and as I sat as the U-shape bar I would engage in (hopefully, shorter time, nonintrusive people-watching). In addition, I would also Internet and sometimes post. Now, importantly, I could leave at any time I choose. So arguably, it was sensory overload, but entirely of my own choosing. Might this be an example of sensory regulation?

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 11:01 pm

Probably not going to see i t. I usually don't see movies with autistic characters because I find them extremely stereotypical and I don't want to support that. I just accidentally did it with TV this week.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 9:53 am

*big ol' spoilers*

Quote:
As an adult, the main character would turn on loud (heavy metal?) music and a strobe light and rub and press his calf with a large, round bar. Was this sensory regulation?

My impression was that he was continuing a "treatment" his father taught him. Forcing himself to endure sights, sounds, and physical sensations that were uncomfortable in order to build up endurance.

Quote:
After a particularly stress incident, this didn't work, so he tried more of it (very human). Including hitting his leg with this large, round bar. It still didn't work. And then he went and did something different. Smart idea.

He was trying to maintain his routine, but he was in no emotional state to be pushing his limits. That's why he lost it and started hitting himself.