Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2016, 1:52 pm

Hey all. I have a question for those of you who take meds to control depression/anxiety. I've been on 50 mg of Zoloft for just over a year now, and have started noticing in the past few weeks that the old anxiety I used to feel before taking it has started to come back. Do you think it's a good idea to talk to my doc about upping the dose? I'm very small, only 4'11 and 90 lbs, so physiologically it's like a child taking SSRI's. I don't want to be dependent on meds forever, but I'm tired of feeling anxious for no reason again, after having thought I was done with all that. Thoughts and observations are appreciated!

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2016, 2:05 pm

I was on Zoloft for about 5 years, and the same thing happened to me. My psychiatrist said it is because of how your body builds up a tolerance to medication. You might want to talk to your psychiatrist about upping the dose, or maybe trying something else. When Zoloft stopped helping me, I switched to Tenex and it helped.
Good luck! :heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2016, 6:53 pm

^^ That makes lots of sense.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2016, 7:49 pm

I went from 50mg to 100mg Zoloft and felt better, but I still take Xanax for anxiety. It's like a constantly running motor in the background--I only notice it when it gets loud or actually goes quiet.

charliee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Sep 2016, 2:13 am

I've been taking 40mg of Prozac for about a year now for depression and OCD. It really helped with my anxiety and the dose was good for me, but anything more than that made me sick (manic, nauseated, motion sick), so side effects may or may not be an issue for you. If you're concerned about tolerance and upping the dosage, it might help to keep a daily log of things that set off or contribute to your anxiety, how you reacted to it, and possible coping mechanisms that could benefit you. There are times when I feel as badly as I did before the medication, so in conjunction with taking it, I do other things like exercise to try and work off the nervousness. Sometimes it helps. Sometimes it doesn't. You just have to experiment a little to see what works best for you. Hope this helps!

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 12:41 am

That's useful guys, thanks for the advice!

Much of my anxiety has no obvious trigger, and is purely physiological. It just pops up in waves throughout the day for no reason. The meds stopped that, but it's started coming back again. I know exercise helps though; when I feel it coming, I typically try and do something physical to alleviate the tension, and if I wear myself out enough, my body doesn't have the energy or adrenaline left to feel anxious with.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!