Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

charliee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Sep 2016, 1:09 am

Anyone have tips on finding a job with no references?

After looking for a very long time now, I still haven't been able to find a job of any sort. I have a college degree (in Psychology of all things) and no experience. I've applied to all sorts of jobs, full time, part time, volunteer work, etc. and always get tripped up when the application asks for references. Social anxiety is a huge issue of mine and although my professors were nice, I was never close with any of them to be able to ask for a reference. And I can't ask anyone else because I don't know anyone else. This is quite demoralizing as I'm 24, have no friends, no job, no life, and depend on my parents to support me. I am frustrated to no end, and it shows because I am writing this at 2 in the morning and have not been on any social media platform of any kind in almost a decade.

If anyone has advice for me or is as frustrated as I am, please let me know. It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2016, 10:50 pm

I feel you. I was going to suggest you do some volunteer work and meet someone who can be a reference there, but I didn't know you needed references just to get a volunteer job!

Do your parents have any long-term friends/neighbors who know you by extension? I have used friends/co-workers of my mom as references in the past even when they didn't know me THAT well. Have you thought about contacting your school's career services about your predicament?

Good luck.

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2016, 4:38 pm

I am going through the same thing. I have not worked since 2008 when the economy went bad. And now that company is out of business. I don't have any professional references or the ability to prove I have ever been employed. I had jobs before the last one but they are all either closed or under new ownership. I have struggled with employment so many times the job I found was kind of shady. I was paid under the table or they routinely violated OSHA standards for example. Sometimes I think I only kept that job because they could not get anyone else to stay.

I could have had a job a few weeks ago but to get the interview I lied on my resume saying I had worked a few months ago. They wanted to call that place and the fake manager I made up. I had to come clean. I know it was not smart to do but I was thinking if I can just get one job again that is all I need. Then I can work hard there and establish a good reputation if I move on.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2016, 3:43 am

Some neurotypicals actually lie about their references, even getting friends to pretend to be fake referee's.
It's quite common place. Funny really.

I'm in the same place as you, no referees, job references, or friends.
I can't really tolerate jobs, unless they are part time. They're just no intellectual challenge, unless I want to play the game (office politics) and that nasty gossipy backstabby stuff sure doesn't thrill me.
The only way forward is self employment.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 8:45 am

I also have an associate in psychology and I didn't find my job by going through the front door. Rather, i asked people who I know who was hiring. When the time right, one of those networks sent me a text message and I was determined to get that job and I did.

The best thing for you to do is go and meet some people through "Meet up.com and as some of the other pointed out, find people who have been mentors in your life and use them as references.

You also want to create an e-portfolio of all your past projects from working as undergrad classes because that way you can sell your work to the organizations and companies.

It might also be better for you do to research on organizations and look for people in similar situations that you want to be in. That way you can contact them and not human resources because it will get you in the back door.

E-mail the organization and explain to the volunteer directors that you really don't have references but that you are looking for people to volunteer with.

You could also participate in a study related to autism because it's a way for you to meet people who could get you connected volunteer-wise.

Also, even if you just get a position doing clerical work in a psychology type setting, then you can start at the bottom and work your way in.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 1:23 pm

charliee wrote:
. . . I have a college degree (in Psychology of all things) and no experience. . .
I also have a degree in psychology! :D A 4-year bachelor's of science degree I got about twenty-five years ago. And frankly, it's one reason I take the whole profession with a grain of salt.

One thing which might be a right now activity is volunteering for the political campaign of your choice? And smaller Congressional and state legislature races might have less volunteers and thus are still organized enough to accept additional volunteers.

I'd really recommend 'once a week' for maybe a three or four hour shift. A lot of it is phone banking and delivering a script and/or waiting around. Sorry, it can be as disorganized as anything else. Block walking is better. I only do it with a partner. (I'm not volunteering this round, but you might)

If you like it, you can then increase it twice a week. Even if it's merely okay, by Nov. 8th (or the next day!), the whole thing's over. And a good chance of having a reference. But not 100%, because the immediate supervisor person may be disorganized, may not have a good understanding of giving references. So, you might have to briefly and matter-of-factly sell them on the idea, maybe something of the sort, "Yes, I'd like to use you as a reference when I volunteer for other positions. You've think I've done an alright job, right?" If they nod or say that you have, maybe say, "I just ask that you tell someone else if it comes up. So, let me please get your contact information if I may." So maybe something generally like this.

And by the way, Welcome to WrongPlanet! 8) Please visit us as little or as much as you like. :jester:

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 5:42 pm

One job which really needs people is H&R Block for about 5 weeks during tax season. This is only for about five weeks from the end of December to the beginning of January. And that's it. That's the rush season of people who know or strongly suspect that they're getting refunds.

You can start talking to them in November or even earlier. Basically, you pass a test. You can even fail it once or twice and then still pass it. They also offer classes which cost about a hundred bucks, which to me was kind of a rip-off, even though the teacher had worked there a number of years, really knew her stuff, and tried with the students.

Taxes is more feel and texture than a super regimented system, which is kind of surprising. And I'd be happy to discuss this at greater length.

There's a lot to learn, including a general understanding of the 1040, a huge chunk in the middle getting good with the computer system. As well as the H&R bank and loan products, which have some real negatives. Need to make a personal decision how and whether to disclose. But if you make any middle-of-the-road effort at all, that's better than a preparer who doesn't. And that's not fishy ethics. That's real ethics which can have a direct positive impact on the lives of human beings.

At the beginning of the season, you have a lot of sample returns which you get to practice on the clock. I got good at the first twelve or so, especially involving children and Earned Income Credit. I'd rather get pretty good at a smaller subset. Heck, it's not a good idea to do complex things like home businesses your first year anyway.

Realistically, very few H&R Block employees get the bonus. But it is not your job to rain on another employee's parade. Just don't work off the clock in a effort to "save up" your bonus. The company doesn't want employees to do this anyway.

Be happy to tell more. It was a mixed experience.