Good idea to meet a partner through Facebook?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

LimboMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2016, 9:08 am

Has anyone ever met someone they went in a relationship through social media like Facebook? Like they didn't know them before but talked to them through it and started dated them? I admit I use Facebook very antisocially, and won't say I like it and I have barely any friends because I do not have such a large social life to use a platform to keep everyone in one place.
If I could use it in a positive way, that is to meet someone maybe I will be thankful for it. But I don't know if this works so I wonder if anyone else knows. I sent requests to people even friends of friends but they didn't accept.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 9:15 am

I and most of the people I know only friend people we know in real life. Its just assumed that if you friend request someone you don't know, it's spam or someone running a scam.

I guess a big exception would be these groups where I do meet people I don't know and develop "relationships" of sorts. In fact, I even met one woman in real life, but it wasn't a sexual thing. And I have made a few of them regular fb friends instead of just interacting with them in the group.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 10:56 am

It may be a good idea if you don't mind handing all your personal info to Facebook, for whatever purpose, now or twenty years in the future, when you least expect it.

Feel free to call me paranoid; it won't change the facts.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 11:11 am

I mean there's Facebook groups for special interests and defining traits. You could try joining active Facebook groups for special interests.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 11:42 am

I'm very private when it comes to who's able to view my Facebook page, (only close friends and family members), so I wouldn't know what it's like.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 12:47 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
It may be a good idea if you don't mind handing all your personal info to Facebook, for whatever purpose, now or twenty years in the future, when you least expect it.

Feel free to call me paranoid; it won't change the facts.

They are already using your, I mean our, personal information. Tomorrow is now. It's actually not as big of a deal as you would think. Just remember that fb is a public space, always. There is no complete privacy on the internet, including here.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2016, 12:48 pm

LimboMan wrote:
Has anyone ever met someone they went in a relationship through social media like Facebook? Like they didn't know them before but talked to them through it and started dated them?

Yes, me :D I met someone through a mutual friend on Facebook. IMO, it's the best dating site ! Much better than sites dedicated only to dating because people are too obsessed with relationships to an unhealthy point on traditional dating sites. On Facebook, on the contrary, you can meet a large variety of people and they don't try as much to create a fake image just to attract others.
Be careful though... There are swindlers everywhere. Meeting someone through a trusted friend who is also on Facebook is much safer. Like, you can message them to ask them if they know someone who's single and compatible with you.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 1:53 pm

You can but whatever you do, don't try to message random people you don't know on Facebook. You have to friend them through a mutual friend or if you meet them on another site (including possibly a dating site) and they share their Facebook profile with you. That's the only acceptable way to do it because Facebook is not primarily set up as a dating site.

On the other hand, I've also tried looking for a proper dating app on Facebook (because then most people using it would be interested in the same thing) but I can't find one that's both free suitable.