Why can't people make fun of others anymore?

Page 4 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

01 Oct 2016, 9:53 pm

I am all for free speech, even if I do not agree with what is being said. Nothing is worse than censorship

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 10:31 pm

There are always unwritten limits on "free speech" in civil society, and perhaps it is naive to think otherwise.

Try telling your boss that you think he/she is a rude noxious bully
Try telling a cop that he is wasting your time giving you a speeding ticket.
Try going to a gay nightclub wearing a badge that says "gays suck"
Encourage your children to tell their teacher that he is mean, nasty and unfair
Go to a party at a friend's house and openly disparage the host
Go to a Trump rally wearing a "I'm voting Hillary badge"
Apply for a bank loan and lecture the loan officer on the greed of banks
Insult someone who is a intoxicated and waving a gun around
Routinely inform others how ignorant you think they are
Walk around in a public place, holding a sign with some form of overt bigotry/hate speech on it
Try laughing at or correcting a mispronunciation made by a person interviewing you for a job
Be rude wherever you want, whenever you want, because respect for others is a silly idea to gag free speakers.

I hope you wouldn't do any of these things, and you probably wouldn't; most people wouldn't. The consequences of spouting off your right to "free speech" without reflection and respect are not likely to be good.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Oct 2016, 10:41 pm

B19 wrote:

I hope you wouldn't do any of these things, and you probably wouldn't; most people wouldn't. The consequences of spouting off your right to "free speech" without reflection and respect are not likely to be good.

i dunno, i think that scenario could go a couple of different ways... :lol: :oops: :P

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 10:44 pm

Glad you noticed that, I added in that one for some relief.. :mrgreen:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 1:54 am

B19 wrote:
There are always unwritten limits on "free speech" in civil society, and perhaps it is naive to think otherwise.

Try telling your boss that you think he/she is a rude noxious bully
Try telling a cop that he is wasting your time giving you a speeding ticket.
Encourage your children to tell their teacher that he is mean, nasty and unfair
Go to a party at a friend's house and openly disparage the host
Go to a Trump rally wearing a "I'm voting Hillary badge"
Apply for a bank loan and lecture the loan officer on the greed of banks
Insult someone who is a intoxicated and waving a gun around
Routinely inform others how ignorant you think they are
Walk around in a public place, holding a sign with some form of overt bigotry/hate speech on it
Try laughing at or correcting a mispronunciation made by a person interviewing you for a job
Be rude wherever you want, whenever you want, because respect for others is a silly idea to gag free speakers.

Some of these rules are gradually bieng "rewritten" as America grows more corse.

People have always gone to rallies with signs and badges of the opposite side in politics and other things. More autistics should do it at Autism Speaks walks and anti vax conferences although I would not advise doing that alone.

Routinely telling people how ignorent they are is normal online and increasingly in IRL.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2016, 8:41 am

In many cases it isn't the words themselves which are at fault but the context in whch they are used, or perceived to have been used. If a clinical psychologist, after examing a child, declared "He's mentally ret*d" is he being abusive or simply giving a medical diagnosis? Likewise the "N" word is frowned upon as polictically incorrect and yet some black people regularly use the word themselves, NWA even incorporated the word into their band name. Likewise some gay people have "reclaimed" the word queer, while others view it as an insult. A great deal of the time it's not what is said but how it is said that matters.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 4:28 pm

I was reading the other day about what countries make fun of other countries and it looks like nearly every country makes fun of someone else. Humor or hate? It seems more like hate disguised as humor to me. :(

I guess all humans really are intolerant and bigoted by nature.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 11:11 pm

I don't think the OP is encouraging people to make fun of others. His criticism appears to be directed at the "snowflake" mindset, in which one feels the need to be shielded from all views that are potentially offensive or unpleasant.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 11:13 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I guess all humans really are intolerant and bigoted by nature.

I've been thinking the same thing.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

B19
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 11:25 pm

Making fun of other people can be a form of bullying (though not always) and I have seen cruel examples that have reduced the targets to tears. Slowly, awareness of all forms of bullying is growing (not before time) and this kind of cruelty is no longer automatically viewed as "just having fun". There is also greater awareness of emotional harms generally.

I have also noticed that there is less tolerance for quite nasty "pranks" which were once laughed off as "just practical jokes". Some of those in the past have maimed, paralysed and killed people.

Sensitivity is a nice attribute for people to have, and I avoid people who pride themselves on being "great jokers" at the expense of other people.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 12:38 am

Mootoo wrote:
Kelly, let me make fun of your grandma, child, wife, your nostrils

In my lifetime which began well before political correctness it was never ok to make fun of someone's family. But it does seem to be somewhat acceptable today to make fun of the family of public figures.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 1:00 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Mootoo wrote:

In my lifetime which began well before political correctness it was never ok to make fun of someone's family

It was also never acceptable to adversely comment on someone's body for any reason in any social setting (where I grew up) and to do so was termed "the height of ignorance". To make fun of someone for being fat or thin, or for having any kind of physical disability was also absolutely unacceptable in social discourse, and I am even older than you APOM! This reticence was considered respectful politeness then, not political correctness.

Disrespectful comments aimed at other people in social life have emerged only in recent decades, and seems to have developed simultaneously with narcissist culture and reality television - so perhaps social learning theory explains it better than the idea that it is a reaction to political correctness. Political correctness may have developed as a backlash to disrespectful behaviour, rather than the other way around.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 1:28 am

B19 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Mootoo wrote:

In my lifetime which began well before political correctness it was never ok to make fun of someone's family

It was also never acceptable to adversely comment on someone's body for any reason in any social setting (where I grew up) and to do so was termed "the height of ignorance". To make fun of someone for being fat or thin, or for having any kind of physical disability was also absolutely unacceptable in social discourse, and I am even older than you APOM! This reticence was considered respectful politeness then, not political correctness.

Disrespectful comments aimed at other people in social life have emerged only in recent decades, and seems to have developed simultaneously with narcissist culture and reality television - so perhaps social learning theory explains it better than the idea that it is a reaction to political correctness. Political correctness may have developed as a backlash to disrespectful behaviour, rather than the other way around.

While it was never ok to make someone in a wheelchair pretty much any other physical charactoristics was considered fair game. I was bullied probably more for bieng short that my Autistic traits. "Spaz" a pejoritive for spastic was a commonly used to make fun of people. Fat shaming is still unofficially acceptable. Need I go into saying negative things about female body parts or penis size?. America is after all the country that popularized eugenics.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 5:07 am

I would list a recent penchant for assuming the worst possible motive in everyone as a prime factor for people taking things too seriously. The ball busting that goes on in the kitchens I've worked in, for example, would doubtlessly cause some people to make all sorts of armchair diagnoses about the people I work with, but it's all just part of the culture of the kitchen, and neither intended or taken personally.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 6:46 am

To my knowledge, it's always been perfectly acceptable to insult a male peer's family to his face in order to force him to fight you, to the death if necessary, to make you take back your words. It's up to him to be strong and menacing enough to deter you from doing the insulting in the first place.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 10:00 am

Dox47 wrote:
I would list a recent penchant for assuming the worst possible motive in everyone as a prime factor for people taking things too seriously. The ball busting that goes on in the kitchens I've worked in, for example, would doubtlessly cause some people to make all sorts of armchair diagnoses about the people I work with, but it's all just part of the culture of the kitchen, and neither intended or taken personally.

Why is the kitchen culture this way? Does it aid in productivity/motivation or is it a socially acceptable way to vent grievances? That is, are the jibes motivated by anger or play?