Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 11:45 am

Identity Politics has been going on since politics has been going on which has been as long as humans have been humans. The term "identity politics" is now a pejoritive not equally and often hypocritically applied. The St. Patricks Day Parade which shuts down large part of Manhatten every year that is a "celebration of heritige", in other situations we call this a "voting bloc", if somebody calls themselves an "Aspie" or supports the Neurodiversity they are engaging in "identity politics" because where your grandparents immigrated from is a legitimate group but Autistics are not because Autism is a "disease" which is supposidly not a legitamate thing to label yourselves by. But not all diseases are created equally appearently. Breast cancer survivors lobbying for greater supports is never labeled "identity politics" even though they are labeling themselves "breast cancer survivors"

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 11:48 am

The new form of identity politics is not carved from the fruits of one's unique accomplishments these days but literally from what they identify as. And I think people are going to get tired of it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 11:57 am

Not new. Bloody wars and rioting have been going on at least partially based on group identity be it religious, racial, ethnic, and national forever.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 12:09 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Identity Politics has been going on since politics has been going on which has been as long as humans have been humans. The term "identity politics" is now a pejoritive not equally and often hypocritically applied. The St. Patricks Day Parade which shuts down large part of Manhatten every year that is a "celebration of heritige", in other situations we call this a "voting bloc", if somebody calls themselves an "Aspie" or supports the Neurodiversity they are engaging in "identity politics" because where your grandparents immigrated from is a legitimate group but Autistics are not because Autism is a "disease" which is supposidly not a legitamate thing to label yourselves by. But not all diseases are created equally appearently. Breast cancer survivors lobbying for greater supports is never labeled "identity politics" even though they are labeling themselves "breast cancer survivors"

Yep. To make hay about one's identity, the identity itself is expected to cause emotive reactions. When those reactions are too often negative (see black people of the 1950s and LGBT people of the 1960s, among many others), one's identity becomes a liability. When it comes to autists, I continue to argue that we should follow the deaf and hard of hearing community's lead. Nonterminal disorders are, after all, simply differences. But, it takes commitment and attendance, not just good intention.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 1:01 pm

The first time I encountered the term "Identity Politics" it was used as a snarl words by Marxists who were infuriated that anything except *Class* could possibly be relevant to politics... perish the thought...

But as the OP points out, identity politics is inseparable from the history of politics itself...

In fact, ethnic, religious and tribal affiliations have likely been the primary dividing lines in politics throughout most of human history, as formal divisions of labour and clearly defined nation states (both prerequisites for the contemporary Western concept of "politics") are both fairly recent inventions...