Methane, methane everywhere: Much comes from fossil fuels

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 6:22 pm

Who is more pious than an atheist. Forthrightly-atheist govts literally enshrine their leaders, and their parades put megachurches to shame.

Atheism and Creationism used to be discussed, politely, contemporaneously, in a free marketplace of ideas, although I consider it a segue, between theism and Satanism.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 9:17 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
Who is more pious than an atheist. Forthrightly-atheist govts literally enshrine their leaders, and their parades put megachurches to shame.

Atheism and Creationism used to be discussed, politely, contemporaneously, in a free marketplace of ideas, although I consider it a segue, between theism and Satanism.

Well, humanity saw the power of science the last 200 years or so and concluded it was vastly more useful and consistent than god...so god was replaced. Sorry god, you'll do better next species, I promise!

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2016, 7:21 am

BaalChatzaf wrote:
1/3 of the methane comes from farts.

I think 1/3rd is a bit of an over estimate but cattle and other ruminants do produce a significant quantity of methane, along with other polluting gases. Most of their methane emissions is actually produced by belching rather than flatulence.

Do cows pollute as much as cars?

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 11:40 am

friedmacguffins wrote:

Aristophanes wrote:
Well, humanity saw the power of science the last 200 years or so and concluded it was vastly more useful and consistent than god...so god was replaced. Sorry god, you'll do better next species, I promise!

Firstly, we don't doubt what we see and can be tested.

But, all of the shibboleths of modern science began in pagan mystery schools.

Even the platonic solids were meant to portray the philosophical elements.

From the singular atom to the evolution of matter to animals and demigods, your sweat and equations were used to prove the sayings of mystics.

Take, for example, the assumption, that we live in a simulation. This was derived from gnosticism.

Will secular atheists continue to argue about gases, forever, and tax those. Will they eventually resort to a religious hope.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2016, 12:10 pm

All atheists are by definition secular so no, if they're atheists, they will never resort to what they view as a non existent religious hope.

All of which has got absolutely nothing to do with the OP, which is about Methane, not hot air.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 12:26 pm

Quote:
All atheists are by definition secular so no, if they're atheists, they will never resort to what they view as a non existent religious hope.

By verbal judo, atheists redirect the momentum of the world's religiosity.

Refusing to argue against any claims, of any myths, whatsoever, they say it has a conventional explanation. It's an example of secular science.

So, we get to learn about the Bible, on the documentary channel, as though Moses was able to cross the Red Sea, as a matter of happenstance.

It is not even off-limits, to discuss the Tooth Fairy, William Tell, Easter Bunny, and Paul Bunyan.

You just say they represent some law of nature or secular, civic value.

"Positive Christianity" can be a social ideal, as portrayed in myth, just like Santa Claus.

Salvation by works, social justice, and a certain lightbearer, who brought us the gift of sentience, are examples of civic engagement, and possible excuses for a first cause. A metaphorical god of nature and love under the law, is what they call it, so plausibly.

But, they say it is not the same God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Quote:
All of which has got absolutely nothing to do with the OP, which is about Methane, not hot air.

Humanists are now proposing nature worship, and hope for the return of their all-wise creators, to teach them how to live.

...none of which is religious, of course.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 2:39 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
Take, for example, the assumption, that we live in a simulation. This was derived from gnosticism.

Lol, yeah, no. The simulation theory derives from the possibility that the universe is "set"-- that the makeup of the big bang dictates how matter will move through time, that the movement is unchangeable based on the configuration of the initial bang. If that theory is true then it opens the possibility that the universe is merely an equation and the big bang is the other side of the = sign that we can't see. In essence, the big bang is the algorithm and we're the bits of data moving through it towards it's conclusion. No need for mysticism, gnosticism, buddhism, or any other -ism-- logic and math can lead to that conclusion just fine, not to mention quicker and more accurately.

Also, perhaps one of your religious schools has come to that conclusion by other means, can it prove it outside of mere rhetoric? The religious person says "trust what I say and eventually proof will come", the science person says "test what I say and you'll see the proof yourself."

B19
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 3:34 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:

Post = off topic in the News forum.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 5:25 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:

B19 wrote:

Post = off topic in the News forum.

friedmacguffins wrote:
According to the theory of evolution, where were humans, during the last two extinction events, which you have linked.

You're saying that there were other clathrate triggers, which killed the dinosaurs.

You don't even know where the methane, in your theory, came from, yet started to engage me, when I first started to use the word theory. :lol: Theory. :roll: Hypothesis.

I said that one person's idea was just as valid as the other's, and could be discussed politely, side-by-side, and I find the emotionality around here to be more stilted than in NT webspace. :oops:

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 8:04 pm

AspergianMutantt wrote:

And a quarter of it comes from the rectums of mammals and the termites digesting wood.