Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 7:10 pm

Did you ever stare at someone? I remember one day when I was seven, I stared at a girl in my class I was obsessed with while the national anthem was playing. I didn't know it was socially inappropriate back then.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 7:27 pm

If I have a crush on someone, yeah.

And sometimes I stare at people just to mess with them. XD

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 7:32 pm

I stare at people all the time, even strangers no matter where I am or whom I am with. I visually stim on people's hair and the details in their eyes and facial skin texture. It's of my most effective visual stims.

Wreck It Ralph

CherryCoffee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2016, 7:45 pm

I do it all the time when 1. I'm spacing out and not careful about where I'm looking and 2. they're staring at me and I'm curious as to why and for how long. I once had a surprisingly intense moment with a stranger on a train this way.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 8:01 pm

I was once in an epic staring contest with some guy from drum corps.
We were sitting out on the lawn before marching practice.
The only unfair thing was, the guy's friend was throwing grass in our faces to distract us.
Blinking was allowed.
I probably won.
Focus, you know ...

SBO_ReachOut2Me
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2016, 8:38 pm

Yes, many times but only in the following two ways:

1. I unintentionally do when staring into the abyss as I think about random unrelated stuff as my thoughts drift.

2. I intentionally do it when having a staring contest... a contest I never ever lose. It's not the standard "no blinking allowed" staring contest... it's a "no laughing allowed" staring contest. Most people feel incredibly socially awkward when staring at me point blank. They then either laugh out of the silliness of the awkwardness, or they laugh a nervous laughter at my intense stare or they give up or they postpone the game for later...

Only time I have laughed during that contest is when someone outside of the staring contest interferes & tries to make me laugh. & that's just cheating & not part of the game.

Oh one other rule to the game:

1. No trying to make the person laugh. All you're allowed to do is stare.

[I remember now I have laughed not only when someone else interferes but also when the person staring at me with their eyes tries to also make me laugh by pulling silly faces or saying funny stuff. That is cheating & doesn't count. They get disqualified for that. [So I still haven't lost. They have to make me laugh through social awkwardness: IOW they have to make me laugh just by staring at me just like I do to them... & I so often do]].

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 9:15 pm

Yes I have. Usually because of some feature or piece of clothing or jewelry that captures my attention.

Also I have starting contests with my cousin, but that's different.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 9:18 pm

Too many times. It's like I try to capture what fascinates me about them.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 9:24 pm

In grammar school one year I sat across the table from 3 boys at lunch and they were always talking and clowning around. I stared at them while eating my lunch every day and they started to call me looky.
I didn't mind being called names though, I also got called outer space and I didn't care.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 11:19 pm

Yes, I use to stare at guys that I liked, but I try not to do it now. I think I might stare at people without realizing it though so sometimes I avoid looking at them. There's also times when people think I'm looking at them when I'm really looking at something past them.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 11:26 pm

skibum wrote:
I stare at people all the time, even strangers no matter where I am or whom I am with. I visually stim on people's hair and the details in their eyes and facial skin texture. It's of my most effective visual stims.

I was going to write this - only my version would have been less articulate.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 11:33 pm

There was a man in my college programme who looked exactly like Prince Charles in the face. I admit that I did stare at him a fair amount until he told me to stop.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 2:20 am

skibum wrote:

Visual stim, I like that term. This is exactly how it is with me too.

And when it come to people talking to me or to someone near me or a teacher talking, I'm fixated with their teeth. Perfect teeth, bad teeth, it doesn't mater.

Maybe I should become an orthodontist. Except the idea if putting my fingers in someone's mouth severely grosses me out.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 2:37 am

My father, who I suspect is on the spectrum, was once evicted from court for staring at two members of the jury.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 2:50 am

Back in 1994 when I was in eight grade, a girl by the name of Sarah T. had some kind of a crush on me. What was odd about it was that she was one of the "bad girls" who smoked and drank, skipped class, got detention, etc, so you'd expect her to take interest exclusively in the "bad boys", but for what ever reason she found me to be attractive.

If we passed in the hallway she'd always say hi to me and stuff like that. I had a study hall in the cafeteria that year and one day while she was skipping class she stopped in with a "bad boy" whom I'd never recall seeing in the school and introduced him to me and told him that we were in kindergarten together. This had me tearing up the house in search for my kindergarten class picture that night so I could try and verify that much to the dismay of mom.

I had her in my 2nd hour science class and after lecture time but before we switch to third hour we'd often lock gazes and engage in a staring contest. One thing in junior high that I could do very well was to always win a stare-down contest. I had figured out a few years before how to fake good eye contact so I never had to deal with the discomfort of having prolonged eye contact with another person.

After 10 seconds or so she'd always turn away and start giggling.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 6:11 am

I got a dirty look from a woman fairly recently for staring at her on a bus. I didn't intend anything creepy by it, but she was a pretty girl, dark skin, soft features and short afro hair gathered into little bunches, and thus just nice to look at. She was also dressed very casually in a sweatshirt and those legging things, and still looked nice, just aesthetically. I got the impression via the dirty look I got in return though that she thought I was perving on her. Which was understandable in hindsight, given her appearance and my gaze, I suppose.
But I wasn't perving. Just looking.