Negative thought trading thread.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Ishi2
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 9:02 am

Trade a bad thought for a more positive one if you can. If you can't think of a good thing to replace it with, give as much detail about the situation and let someone else give you a better thought/different perspective. I understand this might be too painful in many cases but I thought it would be helpful especially for anyone who might have been diagnosed late or is currently on a waiting list for a diagnosis.

I'll start...

Ishi2
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 9:14 am

Negative thought:
I had an acquaintance I let come stay with me in my apartment when his girlfriend kicked him out. I didn't think of him as a boyfriend or anything, I just didn't want to leave him homeless in the middle of January. He drank himself to death in Feb. 2012 and I feel personally responsible for his death to this day because I feel like I gave him a place to sit and drink and even bought him the alcohol many times.

Positive thought:
He would've drank anywhere and if it hadn't been me buying it for him, it would've been someone else. I didn't pin him down and pour the alcohol down his throat. I meant well and that's all that should matter. No... forget it... it's all that does matter.

CherryCoffee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2016, 8:14 pm

Negative thought: I'm living in a homeless shelter because I couldn't stop fighting with relatives who will never truly love, accept or be able to emphasize with me, just as nobody ever has in the past because I'm beyond love and acceptance because of my emotional issues and tendency to blow up over minor things and I should've killed myself years ago.

Positive thought: I've survived this long due to my adaptivity, cunning and strength, have worked and still work with people who genuinely want to help and understand me, still have some good prospects for my future, have held down a job for far longer than I thought that I could, am starting to socialize again and will continue to grow, learn and improve as I always have done and not feel guilty for it because I am just as valid a human as anybody else.