Ear deformities associated with autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Safiyyah
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Oct 2016, 8:07 am

Hello everyone ! I don't get on here much , but for the past few months I have been researching Asperger's and High Functioning Autism because I am positive my daughter and I have this. I am a 23 yo female, a senior in college, and a mom to a 4 year old who again I believe also has this disability. I won't go into all of the explanation as to why I think we have it, but I haven't been diagnosed yet. I have some sensory issues (voices get louder when talking to someone) , social impairment, barely any friends, I barely make eye contact unless I know I need to, I'm an introvert, etc. Now , I have odd shaped ears. They sit low and sort of hang over at the top and are a little point and they're smaller than average ears. I NEVER in my life thought that the shape of my ears might actually indicate a developmental disability. For the first time last week I googled " Ear deformities and autism." and to my surprise there is a link between ear shape and autism. Has anyone heard of this? Once I read this article I was POSITIVE that my belief that I had HF autism was true. Everyone in my family has normal shaped ears and I never knew why my ears were shaped so weird. I just thought it was a random deformity that just happened. In elementary/middle I was teased because of my ears and in high school and now in college I wear my hair down all the time and literally no one knows that my ears are shaped so oddly. Does anyone else have any ear deformities or MPA's ( Minor physical anomalies) of the face or head that is associated with autism ? And no my mom thought nothing of my ears. I guess she just thought they were different so never asked a doctor or anything about it. I'm at the point where I know what is going on with me now, everything makes sense....voices getting louder when talking to someone (sensory issues), never able to make a true connection with someone, very few friends , not making eye contact, not wanting to be held as a child, relating better to males, biting my lips for as long as I can remember (does anyone else do this ? ) , needing time alone, feeling different my whole life etc. I am positive that this is what I have. My self awareness journey started with me researching Borderline personality, narcissism, antisocial disorder and none of them fit me until I ran across asperger's. Thanks for reading !

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 12:06 pm

There are no physical differences in Aspie people, otherwise it would be looked into more and Aspies would be much easier to diagnose. Everywhere you read about AS it says there are physical differences, but each time it's different, and often they even contradict each other.

So, just focus on your daughter's neurological traits, not physical. It won't get you anywhere.

Let_It_Go
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Oct 2016, 12:55 am

I second Joe90.

While I'm most definitely autistic and I do most definitely have a slightly pointed ear, I do not believe the two have a cause in common. Ear deformities can come from any number of things, including (as in my case) the way I was resting after birth. My left ear simply didn't fold properly, hence a slight point in the middle, instead of a full fold.

Now real research, done by real studies using the scientific method have determined that autistic people do not have any physically evident differences, hence autism being an entirely neurological problem, instead.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 4:33 am

It may be a tenuous link - I have slight deformities affecting the internal structure of both ears, but more dominant on one side of my body (including sinus, throat, chest, and leg/foot). This is not visible looking at me, but surgeons have told me they can't get instruments into my ears/nose/throat on that side, and you can feel the bone deformities in the body to touch.
Maybe some autistic are as different physically as neurologically. :wink: I doubt it's a sure thing however.