Flight attendant says black woman doctor is not really a dr

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 4:12 pm

She doesn't appear to be a doctor.

In Michigan, you have to pass your residency to even apply to practice medicine.

She's still in her residency.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 4:30 pm

comments from similar thread imported here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=330918

mended
Raven
Raven

15 Oct 2016, 4:59 pm

We have some friends in Virginia. Their next-door neighbour of 20+ years was arrested for pretending to be a doctor for all that time and more before he moved there. He had had some experience in hospitals as a care assistant but decided to work instead as a gynaecologist (of course). I don't know what race he was. It didn't occur to me to ask that.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 5:09 pm

The context is important to this thread:

A flight attendant called for help from a doctor on board. When Cross raised a hand to offer assistance, the flight attendant reportedly said, according to Cross’ post, “[O]h no sweetie put ur hand down, we are looking for actual physicians or nurses or some type of medical personnel, we don’t have time to talk to you.”

There was no interest in even ascertaining whether the complainant was a doctor, nurse or "some other kind of medical personnel". I understand from media reports that others who raised their hand on the flight were not instantly responded to in this dismissive, discounting, condescending and sexist fashion.

Or nurses
is important too, and very telling. A black woman can't be "an actual nurse" either??

I don't understand what is driving the minimisation of this blatant example of isms, it makes no logical sense to me. Walking for a moment in the complainant's shoes makes me feel a wave of nausea.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 5:17 pm

Denier's gonna deny.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 5:32 pm

B19 wrote:

A flight attendant called for help from a doctor on board. When Cross raised a hand to offer assistance, the flight attendant reportedly said, according to Cross’ post, “[O]h no sweetie put ur hand down, we are looking for actual physicians or nurses or some type of medical personnel, we don’t have time to talk to you.”

There was no interest in even ascertaining whether the complainant was a doctor, nurse or "some other kind of medical personnel". I understand from media reports that others who raised their hand on the flight were not instantly responded to in this dismissive, discounting, condescending and sexist fashion.

Or nurses
is important too, and very telling. A black woman can't be "an actual nurse" either??

I don't understand what is driving the minimisation of this blatant example of isms, it makes no logical sense to me. Walking for a moment in the complainant's shoes makes me feel a wave of nausea.

Well, that is certainly a damning choice of words... However, we haven't had independent confirmation that this particular exchange of words actually took place...

Delta Airlines made a statement that there were 3 doctors on board who identified themselves during the incident, but that only one (the one chosen to assist the ill passenger) could provide documentation for his/her medical credentials.
http://news.delta.com/message-about-all ... lta-flight

... Perhaps more details will emerge in the coming days...

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 10:41 am

B19 wrote:

There was no interest in even ascertaining whether the complainant was a doctor, nurse or "some other kind of medical personnel". I understand from media reports that others who raised their hand on the flight were not instantly responded to in this dismissive, discounting, condescending and sexist fashion. Or nurses is important too, and very telling. A black woman can't be "an actual nurse" either??

How do you KNOW, for a FACT, that where the black woman STARTED the story, is where the story actually BEGAN, and that "There was no interest in even ascertaining whether the complainant was a doctor"? What if the black woman raised her hand, and at the SAME time, said: "I'm a Resident"----and THEN, the flight attendant, said what was quoted. NONE of us, were THERE!

It's NOT a "blatant example of isms", to ME----cuz I've considered what I thought could be ALL sides, of the story / incident. Also, how one defines an "ism", is subjective, IMO.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 10:51 am

GGPViper wrote:
Delta Airlines made a statement that there were 3 doctors on board who identified themselves during the incident, but that only one (the one chosen to assist the ill passenger) could provide documentation for his/her medical credentials.

Not being said to anyone, in particular:

Welp, there you go----that's good enough, for ME; because I am, all-too-well-aware, of how some people "like" to be "victims"----for the attention, the whine, the manipulation, the control, whatever!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 10:55 am

Watch the news, but instead of thinking about the issues, pay attention to which ideas about or pictures of people appear in your mind in response to certain phrases. Just do it, everyone, and shut up about how unbiased you think people are until you do.

Or, just try the following list:

Republican

Inner-city

Urban center

Immigrant

Real American

Voter fraud

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2016, 1:57 pm

I'm not from the USA so your choice of phrases mean nothing to me, plus I can't picture anything inside my mind because I have aphantasia, so does that make me biased or unbiased?

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

Last edited by Jute on 16 Oct 2016, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 2:06 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Not being said to anyone, in particular:

Welp, there you go----that's good enough, for ME; because I am, all-too-well-aware, of how some people "like" to be "victims"----for the attention, the whine, the manipulation, the control, whatever!

Maybe just don't say it at all. Because it makes you look like a huge jerk.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 3:52 pm

Jute wrote:
I'm not from the USA so you choice of phrases mean nothing to me, plus I can't picture anything inside my mind because I have aphantasia, so does that make me biased or unbiased?

Try the implicit associations test online.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2016, 4:10 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Jute wrote:
I'm not from the USA so you choice of phrases mean nothing to me, plus I can't picture anything inside my mind because I have aphantasia, so does that make me biased or unbiased?

Try the implicit associations test online.

Do you mean these?

Harvard implicit associations tests

I'm simply not interested enough in the possible results to take this many tests.

Autism Social Forum

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 4:22 pm

Then pick one. Good grief.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 4:40 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
What I find amazing is that there can be any progress at all against those attitudes in two generations or in two thousand. It'd seem most people are thoroughly committed in some way to making sure segregation and hatred among ethnic groups persist forever; they all seem to agree behaving any other way is some kind of betrayal and makes you extremely contemptible.

Hey! Maybe we should have people study that sort of thing.

They might be able to come up with some insight, you know, something that isn't readily evident....

Nah, that's crazy. I guess we're just doomed.

:roll:

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2016, 4:42 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Then pick one. Good grief.

Why? What purpose is being served if I simply pick a test at random?

Autism Social Forum