Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 8:37 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
FYI -...

Shocking to imagine hordes of his supporters literally wanting to deprive people of the right to vote. Never mind the ones who have said it before.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 9:46 pm

This strikes me as analogous to getting outraged about the comment section on youtube.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 10:21 pm

This is, clearly, prima facie evidence of the nascent fascism which must be defeated like the Satan the same fundamentalists obsess about.

Well, either that or the country can go to being ironically like yet another Middle Eastern country where authoritarianism is so venomous civil wars last even longer than WWII.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 12:51 am

Dox47 wrote:
This strikes me as analogous to getting outraged about the comment section on youtube.

Nothing will ever be as futile as yhat.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 1:03 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
Nothing will ever be as futile as yhat.

I'd say that outrage over randos on twitter comes close.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 5:48 am

Dox47 wrote:

Mootoo wrote:
This is, clearly, prima facie evidence of the nascent fascism which must be defeated like the Satan the same fundamentalists obsess about.

Well, either that or the country can go to being ironically like yet another Middle Eastern country where authoritarianism is so venomous civil wars last even longer than WWII.

These two posts, back-to-back as they are, might be hilarious if the issue they highlight wasn't so depressing.

The origin of the hashtag is an account with 11 followers and no activity since 2012. The recent activity was sparked by a bunch of fallacious internet articles from hacks who have lowered the tone of the presidential election to the level of a WWE storyline - one which outrage junkies are lapping up. You can check the tag for yourselves. Some 99% or so of the tweets in the past 24 hours are variations of "I can't believe Trump supporters are tweeting #Repealthe19th".

That anyone takes this deliberately divisive click-bait seriously is the real tragedy here.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 7:09 am

They want to believe it and that is part of the problem. All the evidence is there to call foul but doing so does not help Clinton supporters.

There are also fake trump supporters sharing disinformation articles in hopes that trump fans will jump on it, only for the articles to be easily debunked by the plants and their media associates to further discredit the opposition.

To deny the above is happening when all it takes is a closer look is disingenuous.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Oct 2016, 7:11 am

TheSpectrum wrote:
No candidate would want to deprive anyone of their vote because it's one less voting demographic for them.

Nah, I don't buy that.

If a genie offered Trump the opportunity to make sure every woman, or every graduate, or every young person, or every PoC forgot to vote without arousing suspicion, then I bet he'd take it. Similarly, offer Clinton the chance to let every man, or every white person who didn't go to college, or everyone over 40, or every registered Republican forget to vote, and she'd take it. Those things might cost them some votes but they'd make significant net gains on their opponent.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 7:58 am

TheSpectrum wrote:
They want to believe it and that is part of the problem.

Very true. In many cases their entire world view is reliant on their need to believe it. That's a multi-faceted condemnation of politics, political reporting and political education in America.

Quote:
All the evidence is there to call foul but doing so does not help Clinton supporters.

Most of the "evidence" I've seen is too easily dismissed on the grounds of either it being dumb-but-free speech (e.g. pu**y grabbing) or disreputable sources.

Quote:
There are also fake trump supporters sharing disinformation articles in hopes that trump fans will jump on it, only for the articles to be easily debunked by the plants and their media associates to further discredit the opposition.

And there are trolls being touted as representative of entire voting demographics - primarily towards Trump's supporters. Some people seem to be such suckers for the drama that they can't tell the moves are choreographed.

Quote:
To deny the above is happening when all it takes is a closer look is disingenuous.

Not necessarily. You may be giving people far greater credit than they deserve.

The_Walrus wrote:
Nah, I don't buy that.

Whilst I'm not willing to claim that either candidate is prepared to win at any cost, I agree that they'd both readily take advantage of any circumstances that happen to arise if they believe they'd get an edge. Don't quite agree on your demographics though. A state-contained depopulation caused by some sort of pathogen would both do the job and carry the added benefit of plausible deniability (perhaps that needed a trigger warning for those prone to wearing tinfoil).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 8:04 am

I feel "the ends justifies the means" applies to both candidates in a rather extreme way.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 12:48 pm

Saw a video where they had women signing a petition to remove the 19th amendment and end women's suffrage. They were like yeah we'd like to end women's suffering.

Many people are so easily confused by how things are worded. Which is why polls can't be trusted.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 12:50 pm

sly279 wrote:
Saw a video where they had women signing a petition to remove the 19th amendment and end women's suffrage. They were like yeah we'd like to end women's suffering.

Many people are so easily confused by how things are worded. Which is why polls can't be trusted.

Bring back poll tests!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 2:16 pm

The poll test should consist of properly inserting "you're" and "your" into sentences, as well as "there", "their", and "they're".
Those tests alone would probably weed out 75% of voters.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 2:19 pm

In all seriousness, I don't like the idea of poll tests.

I've known "illiterate" people who really possess lots of knowledge of human nature, and how to get things done--both important in politics.

I especially don't like the fact that, in the South, a white person might be made to say the Alphabet, and a black person might be made to recite, from memory, the entire Bill of Rights

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 2:20 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
The poll test should consist of properly inserting "you're" and "your" into sentences, as well as "there", "their", and "they're".
Those tests alone would probably weed out 75% of voters.

Hahaha! Indeed [quickly scans his posts for typos].

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 2:22 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
FYI - this was created by a fake trump supporter account, backed up by a 2nd person and then Democrats made it trend with 3k tweets over 1 hour vs. the podesta emails which had 20k in 30 minutes. You could argue liberals got punk'd or it was yet another attempt to hit Trump on his home ground when it comes to social media.

At the moment twitter is censoring and pushing tags down the trend ladder and creating a lot of new ones to put in their place.

No candidate would want to deprive anyone of their vote because it's one less voting demographic for them.
You'd have to be nuts to think this was a legit tag.

I never said that trump said this just mentioned it cause it was trending and no I don't think it will actually happen (besides it wouldn't affect me anyway).

I thought it was based of the stats that if only men voted trump would win in a landslide