What are your favourite videogame cities?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Synth.osx
Raven
Raven

15 Oct 2016, 2:44 pm

What are your favourite videogame city? I will list ones that particularly stood out in mine visually with a good attention to detail and art style.

Novigrad - The Witcher 3
Colombia - Bioshock Infinite
Solitude - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Dunwall - Dishonored
Midgar - Final Fantasy VII
Lindblum - Final Fantasy IX

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 4:00 pm

Alistel--Radiant Historia
Midgar--Final Fantasy VII
Midgar Edge--Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete
Twinleaf Town, Floraroma Town, Eterna City, Canalave City, Snowpoint City--Pokemon Pearl

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 4:22 pm

Well, you already mentioned Dunwall (Steampunk ftw) and Midgar (Steampunk and Cyberpunk 8)), so I'll leave those out... Here are a few of my other favourites:

Sigil - Planescape: Torment
Mordavia - Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
Mournhold - The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Tribunal expansion)
Megaton - Fallout 3
The Imperial City - Jade Empire
Union City - Beneath A Steel Sky
City 17 - Half-Life 2
Kirkwall - Dragon Age 2
Omega - Mass Effect II 8)

Pravda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2016, 5:38 pm

Midgar, Columbia, and Sigil were already mentioned, props for each. <3

Amn - Baldur's Gate 2
Undercity - World of Warcraft
Gnomeregan - World of Warcraft
Ironforge - World of Warcraft
Los Santos - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Detroit 2027 - Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Rapture - BioShock

I like Victoriana, noir, a heavy undercurrent of darkness. Also cyberpunk and ultra-high-tech steampunk.

Don't believe the gender tag. I was born intersex and identify as queer, girl-leaning. So while I can sometimes present as an effeminate guy, that's less than half the time and if anything I'd prefer it say "female" of the two choices offered. I can't change it though, it's bugged.

Last edited by Pravda on 15 Oct 2016, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 8:39 pm

Greenvale - Deadly Premonition
There are a lot of things I would change about it and are probably due to a low budget but overall I enjoyed it for being a bit of a unique take on how towns in games are designed. Figuring out everyone's scheduled and where they would be at what time, nevermind some of the simpler things were a large part of the charm for me.

Santa Destroy - No More Heroes
Not exactly functional for much in itself, the cars and npcs barely offering interactivity and its purpose to just serve as a hub. Still I like the downtime it offered as well as a contrast to the fast stylized action. That and some of the "lore" about key locations, from lowlife dropouts to the military running top secret experiments, etc. Was disappointed to see it go in the sequel.

Zeal - Chrono Trigger
Overall due to the crazy reveal. Most towns up to this point were fairly standard for most RPGs. I like the theme going on of people becoming enlightened and all that just to have it all fall apart because their leader is corrupt with power.

Rogueport - Paper Mario 2
Not really the norm for a Mario game in general. Of course a lot of it is still played off as silly or dumb but I'd be hard pressed to find a noose anywhere else.

Liberty City - GTA4
As with many other aspects of V, the new version of Los Santos and how boring and unimaginative it is makes me appreciate 4 much more than I did when I'd been initially disappointed. It is largely more detailed, has less space wasted, a few more interiors, etc. Most of all the better driving physics make it fun to race around. Also the superior ragdoll physics.

Stillwater - Saints Row 2
Similarly Steelport was really not good at all. Though I wasn't initially disappointed by Stillwater either. It's not a huge world and maybe not so detailed in some ways but it has a ton of variety and builds off the previous game quite well.

Kamurocho - Yakuza series
Some versions are certainly better than others but overall it has been fun seeing how it's changed over the years. There have been other cities as well but I feel none are quite as developed unfortunately. At least from a visual standpoint I enjoyed the one Saejima went to in 5 but gameplay wise it was very basic.

Anywhere - EDF series
Because it's fun to blow everything up

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 9:22 pm

Off the top of my head... some aren't really cities but they serve the purpose of 'major settlement', zombie infested Raccoon City of course!, Sector 7 slums in final fantasy 7 part of Midgar, Little Lamplight in fallout 3 one of a handful of decent sized settlements left in that screwed up wasteland, Glitzville in paper mario, Solitude in skyrim, clock town in majora's mask, san andreas in all gta incarnations is always a riot to explore (causing them is addictive too).

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 4:27 am

Dunwall (Dishonored).
Lion's Arch (Guild Wars 2).
Rapture (Bioshock).

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 4:54 am

Liberty City

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 4:55 am

Fokyo.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 2:34 pm

The ones in most of The Sims games, I guess. They're coming out with a new City Life expansion pack for the Sims 4 in November. At least there will be one thing for me to look forward to next month...

ThatGirlInTheTower
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Oct 2016, 12:18 am

City Escape City from Sonic Adventure 2 / Sonic Generations
Sunset City from Sunset Overdrive
Hekseville from Gravity Rush
Seattle from InFamous: Second Son

Synth.osx
Raven
Raven

20 Oct 2016, 8:06 am

Pravda wrote:
Midgar, Columbia, and Sigil were already mentioned, props for each. <3

Amn - Baldur's Gate 2
Undercity - World of Warcraft
Gnomeregan - World of Warcraft
Ironforge - World of Warcraft
Los Santos - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Detroit 2027 - Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Rapture - BioShock

I like Victoriana, noir, a heavy undercurrent of darkness. Also cyberpunk and ultra-high-tech steampunk.

Detroit 2027 really captured the industrial undertones of the city, I liked the use of orange and blue colour scheme that they went with for the cities in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Have you played any of the Shadowrun games? The art style might appeal to you.

TudorGothicSerpent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Oct 2016, 8:37 pm

I've got to go with Rapture and Silent Hill. Rapture, because it feels like a living city even though it's completely ruined. It feels like the city has just gone on, following Andrew Ryan's philosophy beyond the point where he's willing to take it. Silent Hill because...well, it feels like a living city, and makes a damned interesting antagonist. It's impossible to figure out what if anything it wants. It passes judgment, but doesn't seem to care all that much about the outcome. It helps homicidal monsters, innocent victims, dark forces beyond imagining, and misguided zealots. It's clearly conscious, but seems to regard human life as something it can play with when it seems interesting, and there's nothing that you or anyone else can do to completely stop it.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 5:01 pm

Fortree City, Celadon City, Snowpoint City, and White Forest from Pokémon.
Truce in Chrono Trigger.
Clock Town in Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
Serafew from Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones.

TristahK
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Oct 2016, 4:36 am

Sottopolis: Pokemon Emerald
Ald' Rhun: TES3 Morrowind
Orgrimmar: World of Warcraft
Narshe: Final Fantasy 6
Skingrad: TES4 Oblivion

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 9:23 pm

Lumiose City, Anistar City, and Laverre City from Pokemon X
Mauville City and Lillycove City from Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
Nimbassa City, Pokemon Black, White 2
Twilight Town from Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Destiny Islands from Kingdom Hearts 1
Daybreak Town, Kingdom Hearts Unchained X
Zu Town from Animal Crossing New Leaf and GameCube (whatever that town's actual name is!)