Page 12 of 14 [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 5:11 pm

Sabreclaw wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
*blatant sophistry*

I warned you, you have been reported for trolling.

Can't any of you morons ever have a conversation without this "u reported LOL" nonsense?

Reported!

:lol:

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 5:16 pm

Ganondox wrote:
The issue is you're thinking it's some binary division between men and women and ideology.
No I don't think that at all. Please don't project your own ideas onto me.

Remember I said "I think if we all abandoned the "us vs them" way of thinking we would find that we're all more similar than we thought."

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 5:25 pm

adifferentname wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Go to the next page to see Feminism Flamewar Part 11 :D
More than a tad melodramatic to describe it as a "flamewar".
Wasn't it quite obvious I was joking? I clearly meant this in jest :D
My dear fellow, were I being entirely serious myself you can be assured that my criticism would have been scathing.
My sarcasm detector must be malfunctioning!  :o

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 6:30 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Go to the next page to see Feminism Flamewar Part 11 :D
More than a tad melodramatic to describe it as a "flamewar".
Wasn't it quite obvious I was joking? I clearly meant this in jest :D
My dear fellow, were I being entirely serious myself you can be assured that my criticism would have been scathing.
My sarcasm detector must be malfunctioning!  :o

Sorry, Retro. I have it on good authority that I'm even more dry outside the confines of textual intercourse. It's a curse I tell thee!

Ahem.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 11:32 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
The issue is you're thinking it's some binary division between men and women and ideology.
No I don't think that at all. Please don't project your own ideas onto me.

Remember I said "I think if we all abandoned the "us vs them" way of thinking we would find that we're all more similar than we thought."

It's my fault because I worded it poorly, but you still misunderstood what I meant. It's more complicated than either "all men are like this and all women are like that" or "there is no difference between men and women". Let's tackle it from another approach: do you think autistic people should be represented with it comes to the concerns of autistic people?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 1:23 am

To answer your question: Nope.

I don't think Autism rights should be a movement, but there should be a movement for the mentally disordered in some way in general.

It seems no one wants to have more general and encompassing movements and feels the need to have specific movements for specific types of people.

I guess 'Humanism' and 'Egalitarianism' may be too broad, but what about separating movements by category instead of the specific groups within this category?

Instead of Feminism, MRA, Anti-Feminist, etc. why not Gender Equalist?

Instead of 'Autism rights group', why not the Neurodivese Movement?

In fact, this very website may be Autism specific but also welcomes Neurodiversity in general.

Instead of the 'Blackist' or 'White people right's movement', why not the 'Racial Equality Movement'.

Aren't all of these ideas more general and inclusive but still specific enough to inform others of what the cause is about?

I also believe sometimes the more general a movement is, the less clearly defined its goals are.

But 'Gender Equalist' is still specific enough so that the goal is clearly defined and in plain sight - gender equality.

'Humanist' or 'Global Equalist' may both be far too general so it doesn't communicate to people what you're actually fighting for and members of the movement may not know themselves without specific goals in mind.

I think while a movement being too general makes the goals of the movement unclear, the exact opposite is also true - the more we split movements into sub-categories within sub-categories withi sub-categories, the more divided we become and the more the movement loses sight of the original goals.

Just look at Feminism for the perfect example.

Some Feminist's have argued to me they're all very different and some Feminists can have completely opposite views to one another.

Apparently, according to wikipedia there are dozens, if not hundreds of types of Feminism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminist_ ... ideologies

If this is so, why then does the movement actually still exist if its so divided?

This has just been my experiences but many here may know what i'm talking about - why does it seem so many people disagree with Feminism nowadays?

Why is Anti-feminism now a movement itself to counter modern Feminism?

Maybe it's because some of us don't even know what Feminism is anymore, because every Feminist we meet is so different and plenty of Feminist identifying authors have such contradictory and conflicting views with one another.

Personally, I'd still know what Feminism is if it didn't branch off into so many different directions and pathways to the point that all the different opinions and views muddle what use to be clear and defined.

And before any Feminist's disagree and say "Feminism is about women fighting for gender equality. That's all we want, and that's it. Simple."

It's not that simple. You are just one single Feminist, are you not? You can't speak for all of them.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 1:30 am

It really is that simple, Outrider. The reason there are so many different feminist camps is that there are disagreements about the methods to be used to achieve that goal.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 1:40 am

Outrider wrote:
To answer your question: Nope.

I don't think Autism rights should be a movement, but there should be a movement for the mentally disordered in some way in general.

That wasn't my question. The answer you are implying is that you are a-okay with Autism Speaks having no autistic people on their board (they actually do now because people complained enough and it started to hurt their pockets, but that's a different discussion).

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 1:44 am

Quote:
The point is that you're misunderstanding the model the radical feminists use. While that's a negative behavior in women, it's still attributed to the patriarchy. As such it's a manner in which men oppress women. You don't have to agree with the conclusion, but you need to at least understand the model before you criticize it.

But I was not criticizing any model, nor I was denying patriarchy influence in those behaviors (which you can say some empower patriarchy) - I am just listing commonly observable behaviors, that's all.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 1:50 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:
The point is that you're misunderstanding the model the radical feminists use. While that's a negative behavior in women, it's still attributed to the patriarchy. As such it's a manner in which men oppress women. You don't have to agree with the conclusion, but you need to at least understand the model before you criticize it.

But I was not criticizing any model, nor I was denying patriarchy influence in those behaviors (which you can say some empower patriarchy) - I am just listing commonly observable behaviors, that's all.

Well, you were responding to a comment which was misinterpreting radical feminism, and the actual argument was all about the patriarchy.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 1:59 am

Ganondox wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:

Well, you were responding to a comment which was misinterpreting radical feminism, and the actual argument was all about the patriarchy.

No, I was responding to the "Toxic masculinity" in particular and hence got the idea to make a Toxic femininity list.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 2:21 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:

No, I was responding to the "Toxic masculinity" in particular and hence got the idea to make a Toxic femininity list.

...which was a misunderstanding of radical feminism.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 3:22 am

Ganondox wrote:

You continue to make this claim, have failed to refute any part of the arguments made.

You believe that stamping one's feet and crying "troll" is sufficient proof of claim.

You are content to dismiss what you perceive as "jokes" about putting men in concentration camps - how do you feel about rape jokes? How about child rape jokes? Where do you draw that particular line and is it consistent with your ideology?

I don't expect you to answer any of that with anything but evasion, disingenuous nonsense and further ad hominem and personal attacks, because that has been your M.O. thus far. Care to prove you can be better than that, or are you going to cry about trolls again and bury your head in someone's apron?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 4:34 am

adifferentname wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

You believe that stamping one's feet and crying "troll" is sufficient proof of claim.
or are you going to cry about trolls again and bury your head in someone's apron?

And this is why I'm not replying to anything of your nonsense anymore, because you just falsely attack me rather than my arguments. You haven't made any actual arguments, you've just been a pseudo-intellectual jerk.

Quote:
I don't expect you to answer any of that with anything but evasion, disingenuous nonsense and further ad hominem and personal attacks,

Says you, you've done literally all of that to me.

Last edited by Ganondox on 17 Nov 2016, 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 4:51 am

Ganondox wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

And this is why I'm not replying to anything of your nonsense anymore, because you just falsely attack me rather than my arguments. You haven't made any actual arguments, you've just been a pseudo-intellectual jerk.

Quote:
I don't expect you to answer any of that with anything but evasion, disingenuous nonsense and further ad hominem and personal attacks,

Says you, you've done literally all of that to me.

You have literally no idea how disappointed I am to have been proven right. By all means retreat to the comfort of your intellectual safe space. It's clear that a critical examination of your beliefs is beyond your capabilities.

FYI, labelling other people "troll" due to your intolerance of dissenting opinions is, unlike anything I've posted, very much against the site rules. I strongly suggest you rethink your tactic of calling other posters names in future, as many people here aren't as thick-skinned as others.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 4:59 am

adifferentname wrote:

FYI, labelling other people "troll" due to your intolerance of dissenting opinions is, unlike anything I've posted, very much against the site rules.

You're a troll because you blatantly lied about what you wrote in order to look clever and be insulting. Nothing you brought up even had anything to do with what I was talking about, as all I was saying was that fighting for women's right by defination makes one a feminist, and then you just tried to fight that claim using anti-logic and pulling up irrelevant things, most of which weren't even true either. Several other people in the threat pointed out what you were doing, it wasn't just me. You have just been the most aggressive to me because I'm the one who said something you like the least. If other people didn't call you out on it first, I wouldn't have made the move.