Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

TinLiz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Oct 2016, 7:25 pm

This is my first post here so pardon me if you guys aren't into this sort of thing.

I'm a junior in high school, and I'd like to start a support group for my fellow autistic students. I want to call it "Neurodiversity Club" so it can include people with other neurological conditions and NTs, too. I want it to be a place where we can rant about our interests, fidget, and just be ourselves. Maybe do something fun in April.
Anyway, I'm not sure where to start. (Maybe by emailing the activities director?) I'm wondering if anyone would even show up to something like this, or if it's too "college-y" for a high school activity. Also, would I need a faculty adviser? I just don't want a teacher censoring what everyone says, making us sit still and say "persons with autism spectrum disorder" or the like.
So, fellow students, I'm wondering if you have/had something similar at your school. Was it fun, or did it suck? How did it start? How did you spend your time? Am I the only person in the world who would be into this sort of thing? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 7:37 pm

There was an autism spectrum support group at my community college. I didn't like it very much; almost everyone was quite a bit lower-functioning than I was, which led me to feel like an outsider, and the activities we did were pretty repetitive, and the places we went were aimed toward younger people, like an arcade or a laser tag place. You might not have the problem of everyone being low-functioning if you expand it into a general neurodiversity club like you're considering, though; I think the name "autism spectrum support group" made it seem like only people on the spectrum who needed more help, like the ones who didn't function as well, were the targets for the club. I left the organization after one semester.