Anyone on the Spectrum with a BPD parent?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Megan140
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Nov 2016, 12:57 am

So I was talking with my sister the other day growing up with a mother who has Borderline Personality Disorder (poorly treated) and was shocked to find out that she had grown up feeling worthless. She also felt shocked that the only time I had ever felt worthless was when I would have my friends over and they would rather play with her than with me. When she asked me why I never really took to heart any of the verbal abuse I didn't really have much of an answer. I don't have many strong memories of my childhood but I've known for a very long time that our mother's opinion of me means nothing to me with no memory of how I came to that conclusion.
We eventually theorized that because I can "step out" of my emotions and look at things logically, her abuse couldn't affect me like it did my sister. Unfortunately for me, the chances of me finding out exactly how I managed such a feat of not taking my mom's abuse to heart will likely remain a mystery since I refuse to talk to the woman.

This does make me wonder if any one else has a BPD parent and what their experiences are. It doesn't have to be BPD but any sort of Personality Disorder really.